Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric Fan switch Hose location

J66P

right I have finally decided I am going to fit my Kenlowe fan and take the Viscous fan off.

I have acquired a X Eng fan switch set up ( http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Fan%2034mm.asp )and the instructions say fit in the bottom hose ( http://www.x-eng.co.uk/Instructions/X-Fan.pdf ) , firstly I know it makes perfect sense but I am a little baffled as Kenlowe actually put there capillary temp senser in the top hose http://www.kenlowe.com/fans/consumers/fans07.html

Which one do I go for, my gut is saying the bottom hose as this is when the radiator as done its job ?

J66P said:
Which one do I go for, my gut is saying the bottom hose as this is when the radiator has done its job ?

I suspect that Kenlowe rely on the thermostat being at the top of the block - so that the top hose only gets 'proper hot' when the 'stat is open.

On our engines the thermostat is at the bottom and the top hose is open - so it gets hot long before the thermostat opens.

There is little point in triggering the Kenlowe Fan when the thermostat hasn't opened as the radiator will be cool.

Put the capilliary sensor at the bottom (but you'll have to turn the rheostat down I think as it doesn't get very hot down there on mine :? ).

:thumbup:

Bob.

J66P said:
right I have finally decided I am going to fit my Kenlowe fan and take the Viscous fan off.

May I ask why? :?

What are the benefits? Is the viscous fan a weak point of these engines?

I had a Kenlowe fan fitted so that when I went through water or mud I could switch it off temporarily, but found that on long climbs the engine would overheat, so on the advice of Julian V the viscous fan was refitted.
When the Kenlowe was fitted the cowl around the fan wouldn't fit so it was left off therefore the Kenlowe would only draw air through the rad over the diameter of the fan whereas with the viscous fan and cowl on it was drawn over the whole rad area, problem solved :thumbup:

Bottom hose IMO, Bob has explained why :thumbup: but I would leave your engine driven fan on, definitely leave the cowl on or make one up to suit the electric fan.

chadr said:
J66P said:

May I ask why? :?

What are the benefits? Is the viscous fan a weak point of these engines?

In reality because I have it sat in my garage and thought it's worth a go, saves water getting bladdered over everything when i do the good old water crossings. Plus I am on a mission to try and gain an extra couple of miles to the gallon, I am also changing my tyres to BFG AT's now I am dragging the caravan about a fair bit and not really mud plugging. Will be fitting a cut out for the water so no worries there.

The viscous fan isnt a weak point so no real worries for you thats for sure

I did a tank of gas the other week which is the first time I havent either done laning, dragging or something other than just drive round without a load and I got about 18mpg which is pretty good given gas is now at 61.9ppl. We are i the process of trying to dispose of a vehicle and we have a couple of options

1, sell the wifes car and she use the Cruiser as a daily, hence me trying to get a liittle extra mpg
2, sell both and get something a little newer and have been looking at a later Shogun LWB or the like as the later Crusiers are way out my budget

If it dont work out I can always stick the viscous fan back on

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You could go for a later KZJ95 D4D - don't think you would have to put too much in.

Back