Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical problem, help or advice please

warrenpfo

Drove to work no problem, got in the car to drive home and some light did not go off on the dash.

I did stop to check but all was well with the engine and she drove fine.

f2b0929ee7754196f19cbbc84446911c.jpg

Atf temp and level light along with oil light low and the red warning top right along with T belt light and what I think is starter motor light on the rev counter stay on.

I have checked what I think are all the fuses and can't find anything blown

It will be the plug and cables going to the back of the alternater mate.
Stu

The light in the tacho is turbo boost. The voltage looks to be reading low on the gauge. I'd start by checking connections at the alternator.

Checked the alternator connection and it would seem to be plugged in correctly but I guess that is not to say it's not faulty

I did unplug and remove the inner fender insulation things as they where starting to crumble and may well have not put everything back but why the fault only driving home and not on Sunday when I test drove. I will have to double check I guess.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You are right that speech is enough to make any self respecting alternator plug desperate enough to misbehave ;)

Well it's all been unplugged cleaned and plugged back in so I guess it's new alternator next...

Sticking brushes will give the same symptoms. They don't take much to get one to jam in its slider and as the carbon wears suddenly you've no circuit. Just as if you'd pulled the plug.

Thanks Chris perhaps a little tap might help.

I just need it to last until the weekend so I can drop the alternator and give it a once over.

The plug on mine was tight and still got the lights but once i cable tied all the wires and made the loom nice and secure all has been find now for months.
Stu

Update...

I shot home at lunch, dropped out the alternator, replaced the brushes...they old ones are worn but still with plenty of life left in them.

Put it all back together and still the lights are on. I removed the strap from the alternator that runt to the passenger side battery and put a multimeter across it and the body with no charge reading at all. The batteries are reading 12.4 with or without the strap back on.

I am not sure if i am missing a trick or if maybe its the regulator that has gone.

Shall i replace the regulator or just stump up for a new alternator. I had a similar problem on the 100 and it turned out to be a stupid little 7.5A fuse but cant seem to find any blown fuses this time round.

Thoughts welcome

Anyone hazard a guess as to why the alternator shaft and pulley are turning but the armature inside is sitting still??

Yep the new one is in and all is well.

Fingers crossed problem solved.

Back