Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Essential items for first time camping meet

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Dear All,

Sorry to bother you on this post. I am preparing for Aug meet and have next weekend to buy everything. I am getting a tent but I posted that on other tent post.
Please suggest what I need in below list. I was thinking to come in two cars so if my car is doing any off roading, mrs can go and buy food, salad etc from nearby shops. Is it necessary to have a spare car or can we manage food etc. Sounds silly but getting too many doubts.

a. rain jacket and trousers
b. Welleys
c. stove with disposable stove for 12£
d. air bed
c. tent under lay
d. air bag
e. Fridge
f. night light
g. BBQ set up

@Raj what Fridge are you getting? Also, if you have one of those, why not stock up on your way out and food will stay fine over the weekend.

Basically, you need a sleeping arrangement, a cooking + eating arrangements (and washing), food + water, something to sit on, weather consideration (so clothes and footwear ), toiletries.

It's pretty easy to just go out and get loads of things - don't. Get the basics, and then add as you go based on what you need and lessons learnt.

@Raj what Fridge
KB I went to Gooutdoors yesterday and looked at all the products on sale there. Thats how I ended up with that list. :)

QuestArctic 3 Way Fridge​

Discount Card Price£219.00

This was the fridge there but I will go slow and avoid this one for now and get some cooler/cool bag. If I go on mad shopping, i ll end up buying products I wont need.

Cooler with a couple of bags of ice will be fine I suspect.

Leave the ice cream at home :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
head torch , ear plugs & fleece hat .The fleece hat will double as a handy blindfold to stop the light waking you up at sparrowfart. The ear plugs for blocking out the snoring/farting & coughing of fellow campers & birdies at the aforementioned sparrow fart. A head torch is really handy for emergency tent re rigging in the middle of the night - no need to go mad , under 20 quid should do it.as said don't worry too much if you've got the basics anything you really need can probably be borrowed on site.

Ya beer was also something I was thinking about keeping cool but any car fridge I saw can only take one days stock max :)

Fridge depends upon budget. You can get three way fridges - gas, 12 and 240v. When they're running they're not bad and on gas probably give the best results. I've had one. The peltier things whatever they're call are fine for a picnic as long as you're only going for a day. It's not just consumption, it's the amount that they cool by. Pretty poor really. Fine for a sandwich.
You simply cannot et away from the fact that a proper fridge is the way to go. Snomaster, Engel, Waeco, Dometic etc etc will last you a lifetime, barely drop in value and cool down to -18 if you want them to. They also only pull 1 amp per hour. They come up for sale fairly regulalry in fact you missed one today on FB market place. You're frankly wasting money if you buy anything less. I have 4 of the blooming things now and I keep looking at others. It's addictive. Split freezer and fridge is nice if you have a big space to put one in but if you can only fit in (or afford) a 35 / 40 litre then you're not really missing much. All I put in the freezer is ice for my G&T. If you can scrape together around £350 you stand a chance of getting a second hand 35 or 40L good quality fridge.

Forget some of the other crap. You don't need it. BBQ? Just eat at Chez Nick.

On earlier Facebook posts is was tagged as cafe 80....

Ya Chris, I think I ll wait n get a proper fridge instead of spending in a hurry now.

Just Gurgling FB and E bay etc. They're out there. I could lend you a 35 L Waeco for the weekend, only thing is you wouldn't want to give it back

Chris, for fridge my other concern is power. Ok as long as engine is running, it can be charged but in ideal outing situation, v might need fridge when car is not running. My batteries are weak. Last week I had to call RAC as car didn’t start. The RAC person told my batteries came with the car n never changed.
I looked at power generators but felt I am slipping into unknown territory with mad spending

I feel having a good camping set up will cost as much as the car :) further the time needed to select each product n the planning… after looking at all your cars, I am bit scared :)

Back