Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Few here gents

Fett

Anyone near this place in bradford? Or know if they are trustworthy? I rang but they didnt sound like they were from yorkshire or know much about the type of lpg install. they have a few landcruisers though.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

And there is this one in birmingham, heard of them? anyone have a look?

and there is this one in Derby , they guy didnt sound er well er , well I had a hard time understanding him but if there is anyone close enough and could have a look it would give me an idea. would this year be affected by the BEB problems?

Thanks for any help you can offer :D

2nd one looks the best to go for. Only one owner from new, not many of them about.

Paul

I agree, just had a chat with him after finally getting through. he says he hasnt got any paperwork for the car and also he wont come down in price. its bit higher than my budget so I am going to leave that one. shame it could have been nice. oh and thers no lubricator or spare wheel carrier anyway. :handgestures-thumbdown:

I am not being racist but why is it every seller I phone north oxford is pakistani? are they all farmers up there or something :confused:

They all look pretty tidy examples really. The second one is definitely one of the last off the line with the roof rails fitted. First one is reasonable money. I don;t know what paperwork you'd be looking for Fett (we've had this conversation I know) but previous MOTs, servicing etc - it's a Landcruiser! Once a car gets to this age, you buy it with your eyes and ears.

Last one would need BEB's. Any 12v 4.2 will do pretty much. I know you are handy on the tools but would rather spare the time, but seriously finding one in the public domain that has had the BEBs changed is about as likely as me copping off with that blond barmaid in my local. Swapping them is as easy as it comes and can be done in a morning.

I don't think that the oil burner will be there for long, not once the scouts see it. The petrol ones? Well hard to say. Worth watching to see what happens. I'd grab the first one and forget gas. Run on petrol. For just short of £4k that's a lot of car. Cost per mile driven sensibly is almost the same as diesel. And you get to keep the spare wheel underneath.

Go on get it bought. I have to say that if I had the cash, I'd be very tempted myself.

Chris

Not wishing to start an argument chris but is the last one not a 24v therefor not requiring beb's, i may and probably am wrong, as usual.

yeah thats what I thought, but I know nothing lol- what year was the change to 24v on the diesels is the question!

Chris the trouble is they are all so far away and I can get much english outta the guys on the phone,certainly no tech details.

I need one nearer to me or any of you helpfull chaps.

a nice 24v petrol with lpg and the lubricator :D

anyway I will keep looking. sure is frustrating though. maybe I should have bought the welsh one and then forked out for new seats but we live and learn and I can wait I guess!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The last one is one of the last 12v.

Would need to see dash or engine to be 100% sure though.

All the uk spec that were diesel autos were 12v AFAIK. 24v diesel autos were imports.

Paul

well that answers that question , I want a petrol anyway and unless a forum owner diesel comes up for sale. :mrgreen:

where the hell are all the petrols with lpg, oh yeah north of the m25 thats where :drool:

I think you're bashing our head against a brick wall trying to buy through a dealer. They've got to make at least a grand out of the deal, which means a 4K car is really a 3K car, at best. In my experience, they have overpriced, misdescribed, tat. The FSH should really be called PSH, the tyres are all odd and just about shot. The recent MOT is from a mate, who probably never even saw the car. And the one careful owner was probably a gipsy family. Anyone that has a decent 80, and has fixed it up properly and spent the time and money to make sure the usual bits and pieces have been taken care of (and there's plenty of them), is not going to flog it to some dodgy trader with a back street car lot and an accent that can't be understood outside of the middle east.

As hard as it might be, better to wait for a clean one from someone like the people who come here, with an honest description of what's been done, and when.

Looking at the 3rd Cruiser, its a 12V deffo, old style grille, no wood effect door cappings and stainless trims on the bumpers give it away as a 12V. Note the rust starting in the usual place on the tailgate.

Andy

Hi
In my years of buying and selling no dealers were trustworthy. I took 2 years finding my 100 and visited several dealers in Bham. The cars were all 1 owner with no paperwork. On pressing very abruptly and telling them "if you want to sell you've got 30 secs to show me how many owners" all the cars turned out to have had many owners. All the cars had faults. Even the main agent in Croydon [oops] pulled the wool over my eyes saying they had talked to the owner about my questions over the bodywork on a car which I wanted. I talked to the owner later who said he'd never heard of them. I bought the car and even after warning them that it must be faultless I found several faults on delivery. After driving home 160 miles they told me to take the car back to which I told them the bill would be in the post. They did pay!! £1000.

Frank

good result!

I agree on traders, it seems there are a couple I have been warned about who buy up all the fleabay ones and then sell them back on fleabay for twice the price with a "kneecap" warrenty.

then there are the ones I have called, including the ones from this post who dont speak much english and dont know any tech on the cars at all.

shame as it leaves slim pickings for the rest of us!

I must admit I dropped on lucky with my 1993 4.2TD Auto. The truck had been well looked after and although it was not exactly as described it was a damn site better than some of the "mint condition" ones I went to see. I'm still in the process of "improving" it and so far I have spent £3k on making it spot on with probably about another £2k woth of work on the cards but its mostly cosmetic. I hate to think what I would have spent on some of these so called minters getting them in the condition mine is in now. :o

I also spoke to and visited some of the companies mentioned in this thread. One in particular blatently lied about the condition of one of the, overpriced, 80s but thankfully I had a good mate in the area take a look for me and give a heads up. That would have been a wasted 2 day excursion on the trains to find out for myself that it was a lemon :evil:

Not seen it about, but it is listed as Polegate, so if you need me to have a look Pm me.

Thanks gents , i have emailed him to ask a few questions and keep you posted, although I did ant one with lpg really!

Thats also my neck of the woods too, & I havnt seen it about either!!!!

look at his ebay feedback, it seems he has bought or sold quite a few cars

Andy

Back