Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fitting 1KZ-TE Intercooler

Shayne

Guru
Remove this and all ancillaries
COOLER010_zpsa7d29860.jpg

Template for your custom part
COOLER011_zps5fc84fcc.jpg

Custom made part (sorry couldn't remove it i had the cooler off before i realized i had no instant gasket left)
COOLER002_zps854ef57b.jpg
COOLER001_zpsd38ad30f.jpg

Silicone hose on outlet
COOLER005_zpsa8d2ba40.jpg

General overview of both openings
COOLER006_zpsbc885e8b.jpg

Silicone hose to couple custom part with cooler
silicone001_zps6fc3c94f.jpg

silicone002_zps295fe0b0.jpg

Throttle adjust cable bracket
COOLER003_zpsa68034c3.jpg

And only 1 bolt to hold the cooler secure
COOLER008_zpsaf352758.jpg
COOLER009_zps99a1c9eb.jpg

The actual fins only the toyota cooler measure 310mm by 230mm and its about 60mm thick the inlet/outlet are outside the measure and slightly offset but the overall outside width is about 470mm .

470mm
measure001_zps04982633.jpg

measure003_zpsd5b28a36.jpg

measure004_zps244786fb.jpg

Excellent work Shayne!

I'm now contemplating whether to go down a front mounted intercooler or top mounted route.

Its just hoses Beau nothing clever about it the custom made part is just a plate and the pipe off it could be set in any direction allowing you to use s-bend hoses or u-bend - whatever it all boils down to having enough room on that side as the return pipe has loads of space to play with .

Personally I'd rather not cut into the Bonnet and have a hood scoop on it, which is why I think I'll head down the front mounted intercooler instead. Since I have another Intake Manifold lying around I might modify the entrance to be at the side of the intake and then just blank the original one where the TPS is...hmm

Shayne, could you please give more info on the cable bracket ie why is it required? Did you need a new cable? Etc...

Beau there is no need for a scoop your bonnet is already vented the imports have rubber scoops behind the grill to direct air into your bonnet and down on the cooler no cutting involved (all 90 bonnets are the same) i just wanted a scoop .

Fridayman the cable bracket and cable are original but they did bolt directly to the alloy pipe i removed so find somewhere to bolt a bit of metal so you can weld the bracket back more or less where is should be , i need to hit mine with a hammer coz i've adjusted the idle several times now and still its not as good as it was .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi Shayne, nice to see the write up on the intercooler install.

see the inlet pipe in your first picture, would you be up for selling it ?
I am looking for that part for a project I have in mind.

cheers roy

hi Shayne, nice to see the write up on the intercooler install.

see the inlet pipe in your first picture, would you be up for selling it ?
I am looking for that part for a project I have in mind.

cheers roy

Ouch Roy i had every intention of keeping that in the shed forever just in case ? . You would doing me a favour if you could look for the part elsewhere but if you get stuck gimme a shout :|

hi Shayne, no problem.
it does seem to be a hard part to find on its own.
if your not selling it then that's cool, the hunt will continue.

cheers roy

You can ask Dave but i'm afraid i can't answer because shortly before fitting the intercooler i had a 3" custom made stainless exhaust fitted which dramatically changed the whole character of my truck improving everything but something wasn't right . I changed the air filter for a K&N high flow and it felt a little better but still wasn't what i felt it should be . Then i started to turn up the fuel at the pump which is trial and error and i just started thinking i had got the right balance when i fitted the cooler and so had to start messing with the pump again . I'd just got happy with the result when i decided to fiddle with the turbo wastegate actuator and upping the boost considerably so now i really should try altering the fuel again to see if there is any improvement to be had . So as you can tell which mod did what is lost somewhere in the full picture .

Are you running a boost gauge then Shayne? :think:

Running an intercooler lowers the EGT's (exhaust gas temps) so you should have less chance of cooking the engine. :icon-ugeek:

I want to fit a top mount intercooler to my 1KZ-T, fit an EGT and boost gauge and then I can start fiddling with the fueling and boost. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
No boost gauge Ben following a great tip from Beau i just placed a couple of washers behind the wastegate actuator bracket which effectively preloads the actuators spring allowing greater pressure to build while at the same time slightly limiting how far your wastegate can actually open . It's a reasonably common mod for yanks with 1kz hilux surf's and of all the threads i found on the net discussing it there is no mention of any resulting failures or problems . It seems obvious to me Toyota has the turbo set way below its max capacity . My turbo now starts singing at 1300 rpm :thumbup:

I reckon my oversized exhaust does more to lower EGT than the cooler and with the EGR blanked and the cooler doing it's work i would guess i might struggle to reach temperatures you might get in a standard truck .

Last edited:
HI Shayne,

can you explain whats involved with the mods you have done ,

couple of washers behind the wastegate actuator bracket

EGR blanked

and how do you adjust the fuel pump

these are all things i want to do but do not have experience with diesel engine tuning,

cheers roy

Here it is Fridayman

Last edited:
If you have sourced a matching manifold i imagine its made of alloy which might make finding a way to secure the throttle bracket a bit more difficult but i'm sure you will find a way .

So I had a good look and I now understand why I need a new throttle cable - the throttle wheel and mounting bracket is in a different position requiring the throttle cables to loop round further to reach. Also the throttle position sensor sits on the opposite side which could potentially be more tricky to solve as the loom doesn't seem to have any slack in it. I might be better off having an adaptor plate made similar to yours and then keep everything else as it is.

3udy3a2a.jpg

4yjamagu.jpg

This may help you guys out.

Firstly you don't actually need the Butterfly valve/Throttle plate. The ECU takes the reading from the Throttle position sensor which is connected to the rear of the throttle actuator.

What may be easier is to remove the throttle actuator and position sensor (Black item to the rear of the housing), and mount it somewhere more convenient entirely. I've seen it been done on other intercooler installs.

Back