Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fitting new brake discs

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Going to be fitting new brake discs when they arrive,

now, I am interested to know how many people use a dial-gauge when fitting new discs to ensure disc runout is at a minimum.
ive had problems in past with a subaru when not checking this, then getting pulsing on brake pedal after around 1000miles due to disc thickness variation building up over time due to the disc runout being excessive

so do you just clean up the hub surface and slam the disc on, or check runout and rotate disc round on studs until its below manufacturers max runout allowance?

I'm doing mine soon too, an I hadn't even thought about this... A brake disc change how-to would be very useful.

AndyCook said:
Going to be fitting new brake discs when they arrive,

now, I am interested to know how many people use a dial-gauge when fitting new discs to ensure disc runout is at a minimum.
ive had problems in past with a subaru when not checking this, then getting pulsing on brake pedal after around 1000miles due to disc thickness variation building up over time due to the disc runout being excessive

so do you just clean up the hub surface and slam the disc on, or check runout and rotate disc round on studs until its below manufacturers max runout allowance?

Hi Andy

I have fitted quite a lot of disc's over the years on many cars, and never checked out any run out, but never had any problem, I think you were just unlucky with the sabaru, what I would do though is make sure the mating surface is clean, and free of any debris, then just apply some copper slip to the face, (so it easer to get off in the future)

Oh, and make sure you clean the coating from the new disc's with brake cleaner, before you fit the pads.

Hello Guys

I'm changing the rear brake disk on my KZJ90, but I have a question:
How can I push back the brake piston into the caliper? Does it have a trick or something?
I've try to bush back with my hands, but I didn't felt any movement. Do I need to turn it? There is no any holes or gap on the piston...

It just pushes back in. You can carefully lever against the caliper or use a clamp or even open the bleed nipple slightly. But you MUST push squarely onto it. If not they tend to jam in the seal.

Chris

I have a clamp, so will I try with it.
Thank You for the fast answer!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No problem - it's what we do on here.

Welcome by the way.

Chris

Back