Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fitting rear old man emu suspension

roy

Country Flag
scotland
i have a nice new set of OME springs and dampers, going to fit them over the weekend.
got the fronts already built up with new spring top mounts ready to go on.

having had a look underneath, can you get enough axle articulation to fit the rear OME springs without spring compressors ?
it looks tight to get them in there with spring compressors on.

any tips please

cheers roy

I used compressors - needed them even after putting rear chassis on axle stands, lowering rear axle on a jack, disconnection of shocks and anti-roll bar and using a bottle jack between body and rear axle

other's have managed e.g. Chris - without - with some tricks
and i managed without spring compressors on a 4runner

i am sure someone will come along and say how shortly or do a search

well i just gave it a quick go and 1.5 hours later all the rear suspension is fitted, woohoo.

easier than i thought.

put one rear wheel on a ramp, jacked up the other side , removed wheel and disconnected the rear anti roll bar and the rear spring came out easy, same for the other side.
i did need to use spring compressors on fitting the new springs which was simple.

i even managed to undo the top nuts on the old dampers without any hasle.

Any pictures of this maybe? I've put an order in for some new OME's and will be doing this shortly too... Any advice on the front ones will also be appreciated. Did you buy new shock mounts for the front or reuse the existing?

Thanks,
S

nice one and quick work! enjoy being up in the world!

hi ducktape,
for fitting the front if you get some new spring top mounts you can build up the whole suspension, then it is easy to fit with all new fittings.

i got mine from milners http://www.milneroffroad.com/categories ... =11259&p=2

i would advise cleaning up the spring top mounts of mud and rust and spraying penatraiting oil on them for a few days prior to undoing them, i got mine all off but it did come close to cutting a few off.

hope this helps

here are some pics

18072011194.jpg

18072011195.jpg

18072011197.jpg

18072011200.jpg

21072011201.jpg

21072011202.jpg

21072011205.jpg

22072011212.jpg

finished height, 1.5 inch body lift, 2 inch ome suspension lift on 33inch bfg at's
22072011215.jpg

22072011216.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Getting those new top mounts is a great idea. I tried to get some when I did my 90. Milner didn't have them then. It's worth paying that just to avoid having to take the old ones to bits!

Good find. Could be handy in making some taller top spacers too.

Chris

Truck look awesome Roy! Can i ask a favour though. Please could you measure from the ground to the wheel arch on the front. Its just yours looks higher by more then 1.5" than mine.

I have never been convinced that the Iron Man suspension lift gave me much lift at all on the front.

:thumbup:

Geordie Paul said:
Truck look awesome Roy! Can i ask a favour though. Please could you measure from the ground to the wheel arch on the front. Its just yours looks higher by more then 1.5" than mine.

I have never been convinced that the Iron Man suspension lift gave me much lift at all on the front.

:thumbup:

Do you have a body lift too?

hi Geordie Paul , as requested

just measured them from the ground to the arch through the centre of the wheel they are all at a height of 100cmhope this helps

cheers roy

hi fridayman
finished height, 1.5 inch body lift, 2 inch ome suspension lift on 33inch bfg at's

cheers roy

Thanks Roy :thumbup: . Mine is 96cm at the front but i don't have the body lift witch adds a further 3.81 cm which would make mine 99.81. That seems pretty close to 100cm to me.

How hard was the body lift to fit?

roy said:
hi fridayman

cheers roy

Do you know what the total height of the vehicle is now?

hi fridayman

total height 224cm
roof height 196cm

as soon as i put the roof rack on before the lift, i gave up on parking in multi story car parks.
worth it to have the truck the way i want it.

cheers roy

Back