Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Flare options

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
After a disagreement between a narrow lane and protruding rock in Wales last week and my left-side flares, I'm left considering options. Given how many times they probably get damaged, I was surprised that there isn't much info on sourcing replacements. In Oz i would either use a wrecker or http://www.frp.com.au/productlist.php if Mr T's prices didn't work.
But what have others done here? I know you can remove them and fill the holes or replace with rubber flares like Chris has but I'm happy enough with the OEM shape [bit thinner would be nice!]. I've seen those super-expensive bolt-on flares a guy is hand-crafting in the US [posted on MUD] however, I'm looking at a local remedy first so let me know what others have done.
[attachment=0:36qu7sra]TruckMay12-8689.jpg[/attachment:36qu7sra]
[attachment=1:36qu7sra]TruckMay12-8686.jpg[/attachment:36qu7sra]

Attachments

• TruckMay12-8686.jpg
    TruckMay12-8686.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 536
  • TruckMay12-8689.jpg
    TruckMay12-8689.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 547
Hi Simon, I would have thought that a repair would be a viable option. With the damaged pieces removed, I'm sure it wouldn't be such a job to cut out the frayed fibre-glass and patch in a few layers of new mat on the inside. Finish off with some fine filler and rattle can. This way, next time you hit a rock, you won't be grieved that you spent a small fortune on Mr.T genuine parts.

You seem to be on standard rims and regular tyre sizes, but I don't recommend you to remove the trims permanently. Any offroad, however gentle, will probably plaster the sides of your car and windows with mud. Good for effect, but not much fun when you can't see your way back into the driveway.

My old 1995 HZJ80 is a pre-arch model and after fitting 305/70/16 Grabbers on 10" rims I was concious that the wheels were several inches wider than the car, rendering it somewhat illegal, even here in Romania (where several spec. irregularities can go unoticed). More inconvenient was the mud fling during offroad, not only up the side windows, but the roof and bonnet would be covered. That did attract the attention of the law back in the city :thumbdown: . So after a search and a good friend of mine who regularly drove from the UK to RO with his Amazon full of spares, I picked up a full set of new painted stock arches including fitting clips. Even at half price they cost an arm and a leg or two, but now fitted they do the trick nicely (thanks Angus!).

Haven't hit a rock fixed enough to crack them yet though...
That's my pennyworth, good luck.

Simon, keep me posted on anything you find. More than happy to go into a deal with you to share shipping if we can find some abroad that are sensible money and not hideous.
Front Disco ones fit perfectly and are a bit over £100 for the full set, but the rears are a billion light years off fitting. Maybe defender ones might fit. I have tried all sorts and not had a match. OK some trimming of the flare might be needed. I don't mind that. I thought I was onto something with the front Disco ones though. With my 315s on and no flares, I reckon I'd get about a mile before I got pulled.

Chris

Never tried fixing fibreglass (yes I'm the only Aussie who doesn't own a boat) so may give that a whirl - thanks. Chris, will keep you posted on what i turn up on the replacement front. Would you be looking at a 4 set? I think the strong Aussie dollar makes a solution from there tough but I'm going to sniff around Europe and perhaps UAE.

Yes, I want a full set.

I fibre-glassed mine originally and it worked beautifully until I hit another tree and there wasn't anything left to repair to! It's a good option for minor repairs.

Chris

im after some for my 70 if you find anywhere selling 80 ones Simon. :thumbup:

ive spent a lot of time searching for 70 ones and 80 ones but have never been able to find any decent ones that arnt made of fibre glass. :thumbdown:

id have thought there would be a market for OEM looking, ABS plastic flares. :think:

if i cant find any i may end up having to get some of these:-

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=14

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ben, I'd looked at that too. Gav has some I believe which he was going to chat to me about. I sort of made up my own just to get me legal but it was never a long term solution.

Chris

Gra, i don't think so. They look like bolt-ons rather than OEM replacements [althought the 100 series pic on the masthead shows OEMs]. They are sort of like the US MUD ones and these:
[youtube:6lxjaspc]YXHjemncEZQ[/youtube:6lxjaspc] .
From my research so far, people have had trouble with non-OEM attachments - it becomes a bigger job than it needs to be. I assume the prices are RMB? How's the exchange rate? Is that site like the Chinese ebay?

The UKP cost is about £70

rnb 10 = £1.00 roughly.

Then I need post them to you guys in UK
Or get the supplier to post directly ?

I guess, rough guess, the postage to UK for a set of 4 would be about £30
A couple of sets would be more post cost effective.

Gra.

Well, that's what I call progress. I am a bit lost on here as to whether the ones on the Oz video are the SAME as the ones in the Chinese advert. I do not want factory replacements. They will last 10 seconds off road. I want the Oz ones that bolt on with rivnuts and are flexible enough to take a whack. I also want them in that colour!! OK I would like the Yank ones made out of Butyl or whatever, but that's a dream.

So where do we stand on that Gra / Simon? For that money, I'd have some, but as I said, I don't know what the Chinese ones are exactly. If they are hard brittle plastic, they're no good.

Chris

As an owner of a white 80 needing a passenger rear arch set, I'd also be interested in factory replacements.

Could you tell us what plastic is used in those Graham, including any fillers if any?

I think it would be cost effective to buy a few sets, maybe 5 sets.
I have no idea what the material will be, brittle, soft, flexible, they could be any think.
I will ask the seller.
Buying a few sets that way you can get them cheaper off the seller.
Tabao isn't an auction like Ebay, it is generally a fixed "as advertised price"

It isn't normally a done thing for the seller to post to foreign addresses, but I can ask for a single address to post them to.
Otherwise, they can post to me, and I will forward them on for the cost of the postage, in the same packaging that they arrive to me in, it's no problem for me.

I will look again over the next few days, see if there are any more.
One can normally bargain some discount, normally very small, from the seller.

It's not really any effort for me, as my partner will just pay with her Chinese credit card.
Then some one just does a transfer to my UK account.

Gra.

can you see if the seller has got any 70 series ones please Graham? :pray:

When I search I use Chinese and FJ80 for the 80 series.

What would be the search for the 70 ?

FJ70?

Gra

LJ70 or KZJ70 please. :thumbup:

i think BJ70's have different wings. :think:

Nice one Gra. Really appreciate the overseas efforts. We're good for the cash. You know that. We simply shoot anyone who doesn't pay. Anything that you can decipher would be appreciated. Clearly in the pic they have bolt holes. Now for me and my battle wagon that is not an issue, but as I said earlier, for them to be any use to me they need to be marginally flexi at least. My factory looking days have long gone.

Chris

Hi Ben :cry:

Can't find any thing for the 70 series.
To be honest, I have never seen one in China

The land Cruisers in China are

200 series
150 series
120 series
100 series
80 series

The most popular Land Cruisers are firstly the 150 series, then the 100 series.
150 series are as common as muck.

Sorry, can't find for 70.

Gra.

Back