Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Found out why I haven't any brakes

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well it was simple. I didn't have any brakes. Obvious really. Rear pads were just backing plates. Damn, new discs also required. Couldn't get gouged ones in the lathe to face them up. Hand brake shoes were just backing metal, front pads, errmm let me see, ahh yes, backing plates. So where did that lot go then? Given that I am only insured for 5k per year and I haven't done anything like that and everything was new, I am a bit baffled. OK off road activities are brake eaters sure, but they were OEM rears and EBC fronts. All pistons bar one were working well. So one still needing a little workout. No wonder I was struggling to stop at Frickley.

New shoes fitted, new rear discs on, OEM rear pads on their way (Nice e-bay link Warren, cheers) OEM fronts in the garage and new Nitrac slotted discs arriving next week. :icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin:

Hopefully that might make a small difference. It's not like I don't check these things on a pretty regular basis. So, I'd better get some more pads in for stock and get ready to changes them in a couple of months.

Chris

wow they really did wear through quick. They weren't binding were they, although unlikely on all 4 corners :think:

very naughty Chris not spotting that! :)

I know. Shocking. It wasn't like that a month or so ago I can assure you. Well, I'm on notice now for the next set already.

Chris

I seem to remember Ian saying that his Green Car went through brake pads really quickly, maybe its a combination of big tyres and mud/grinding paste.

Last edited:
Rob, I certainly think that it's got something to do with running 37's. OK the diffs are re-geared for going, but the brakes are standard for stopping. When you try, note TRY, to lift a wheel, your eyes bulge out of their sockets and your ba.. well you know what I mean. You have 4 of those spinning and you have to stop nearly 3T of beastie. I think this has simply eaten the pads. Shame about the discs, they weren't very old.

They are not actually that bad, but do need a skim. If I can work out the tooling, I shall face them up as standbys.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whilst I got some new rear discs slapped on, I don't like to waste stuff. I thought I'd just skim the rotors up in the lathe, but found I couldn't get them mounted nor could I get any tooling to them. So today as it was raining, I went back the the drawing Board. After much chin scratching I got the best I could out of the situation. Machined both sides and the handbrake area too. Filthy job as they're probably grey iron or something. Awful to machine. So anyway, I now have a stand by pair.

P1010068.jpg

Chris

Quite articulate, well done Chris.

Did they skim up OK, not too much flexing in the disc's on the outer edges?

Gra.

No flexing at all Graham. I took a long time with the dial gauge getting them square on then ran fairly light passes to start with to them them even, then once they were cleanish, once finishing pass. They were clamped in hard so there was no movement at all In fact the tools I used were a little over extended and it appear that they did flex a little but not to any detriment. Absolutely awful to machine though - just like powder coming off them even with coolant. Covered everything.

Chris

Back