Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front axle seals & birfs

Gave part numbers I'm after to one of lads I know in Toyota workshop, gonna sort me some prices out for the seals. He said their parts dept are useless lol.

Can someone please confirm the toyota part number for the front axle seals? I think I told Simon Holton the bearing seal part number (43510A)

Thanks

43510A is the oil seal for the wheel hub. This is the seal for the wheel bearings. If you are after the seal that fits inside the axle casing and separates the diff oil from the inner hub grease, then I cant find it on Toya DIY.

Roger

Thanks for the response Roger.

I did manage to work it out with the help of Simon Holton.

For the record it's 90310-35010 and around £12 each.

The
43510A is a whopping £38 quid IIRC.

and while I'm on prices .... never ever order your bearing from Toyota ... the prices are insane!

I have ordered a set of Trail-Gear seals for £18.48 pr. These are supposed to be a better design.

Roger

I did see those. I ended up being so confused with all I read I figured it was just safer to go OEM. Will have a set of Milners as emergency spares from the rebuild kit I bought.

Will probably also just go for a Milners CV as an emergency spare as well. For just incase my current ones are totally shot and the swapping sides trick won't work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Will have a set of Milners as emergency spares from the rebuild kit I bought.

Not even worth keeping for that IMO.... You'll only waste the grease / oil in the hub. If you have a CV failure you'd be best to pull the shaft, plug the seal area on the axle and drive home carefully... If you really want a spare carry an OEM replacement inner axle oil seal...

Try Jon Wildsmith to see if he can help source things a little cheaper :icon-wink:

Just to add to this based on the axles we have done over the last few years and chats with Christo Slee over in the US....

The HDK CVs from Milners seem fine for general day to day driving and overlanding, they struggle when playing on off road sites when the axles are locked up and there are higher impact/torsion loads. I am yet to see one fail on an Overlanding vehicle.

I suspect that the factory CVs will fair better in these situations, but whether at five times the price they are five times better I don't know.

Longfields are designed for that sort of thing so if pay and play sites are your thing, start saving the pennies, however they do wear quicker so probably not the best thing to use for day to day driving or overlanding.

As for Milner seals, unfortunately the only buying policy they follow is price, getting things as cheaply as possible, so you may buy a complete seal kit one day with half decent seals and then order another the next day and some of the seals my be missing and the source and quality of others will vary considerably. The bottom line is be prepared to be fussy and send the seal kit back if you aren't happy, otherwise if you can afford it stick with factory seals.

The same goes for bearings, one day they could be selling Koyo and then next some cheap copies. The day I bought a set of swivel bearings and ended up with a mixed set is the day we started to stock our own genuine Koyo direct from the main distributors.

As for the Trail Gear inner axles seals they do last longer particular on trucks used on pay and play sites or US style trails where there is more movement in the driveline, however they prevent the leaks by gripping the halfshaft more firmly so not recommended for long term use because they wear groves in the halfshafts.

At the end of the day the best investment is to stick to Toyota seals, it's not worth messing around.

Julian. thanks for the comprehensive reply which cleared up many of my questions and doubts! Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Grant

Toyota axle seals arrived so thought would post some side by side pics of the difference. Over all the Toyota was is about 2mm thicker and made of metal. The rubber seal itself also seems more flexible.

20130529_191031.jpg

20130529_191117.jpg

20130529_191056.jpg

The HDK CVs from Milners seem fine for general day to day driving and overlanding, they struggle when playing on off road sites when the axles are locked up and there are higher impact/torsion loads. I am yet to see one fail on an Overlanding vehicle.

I know it's anecdotal but my experience doesn't support this. My Milners CVs were fitted approx 10,000 miles ago (a few more than I first thought..). My truck has done NO hard off-roading (i.e. no pay-and-plays) having done nearly all it's mileage on the road with a bit done on gravel tracks in Croatia, a few green-lanes and a few gentle rounds of Tony's woods at Lincomb. My CV let go in Tony's woods whilst driving VERY gently down a hill with no articulation and no diff-locks - didn't even know it had gone until I realised I had no front drive. There was no bang, no crunch or any other noise. And my truck is a relatively light build running 33" tyres. Unless I was only driving on the road in the UK I just wouldn't trust a Milners CV. For it to have let go under relatively low stress conditions, I don't think they are worth risking if you intend doing any off-raod driving, especially if it is abroad due to the resulting hassle if one does let go.

Just my two bits....

I am with JV on the seals. I'll stick all sorts on my bus, but it only gets genuine inner seals.

Also with Lorin. My HDK CV (had more bash but less miles) let go with no noise or warning at all. I had been out all day and truck was running smoothly. The suddenly I had no drive. The CV bell had split open completely and the balls were going round in the hub. The housings are very soft. I cut one with a hacksaw. I'd stick one as a patch me up, or a daily drive only on easy miles, but off road again? Nah. I took them back to Milner and they are supposed to be sending them back to HDK. If and I say IF I got some replacements, I'd stick them on the shelf for emergencies.
C

Think I will be fitting thebrand new Toyota CV i have in spares drawer onto my Colorado to replace the HDK one I fitted last August (the factory original started clicking on full-lock) before I goto to Alps in July....
Done 5 days greenlaning with the HDK one fitted and no problems, even on some tricky trails that required a rear locker to get up,

but i would be kicking myself in Alps (or Morocco in autumn) if the HDK one failed... whilst i have a Toyota one sitting in a drawer at home!

Toyota axle seals arrived so thought would post some side by side pics of the difference. Over all the Toyota was is about 2mm thicker and made of metal. The rubber seal itself also seems more flexible.

View attachment 7186

View attachment 7187

View attachment 7188

I fitted one of those shit rubber seals that milner sell and it leaked immediately. :icon-mad

When I then bought a genuine one to replace it I couldn't believe how different they are to the milner ones. :icon-rolleyes:

The rough trax inner seals look like the Toyota ones!

Back