Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front exhaust holed again!

whereisgibson

I've only got three years / 30000 miles on a genuine toyota front exhaust, as the original had a whopping great hole exactly where the flexijoint on the downpipe met the rest of the exhaust. Fitted by a dealer.

Rather tediously the exact same hole is now present on the new pipe. Is this normal? Seems a very poor design to have all that road debris hitting the weld?

Yes it is. I made a deflector shield for mine which stopped all that crap from sitting in the flexi mesh. Simple piece of bent tin really clamped on.

That's about the right mileage/years. A good deflector will at least double the mileage/years.

I had a stainless one made up along with the rest of the system back in 2007, some 40k ago and it's still in one piece even without any sort of deflector. It's guaranteed for 'life'......whatever that is!

Amazing. I wonder if that's anything to do with it being stainless.....:think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Couldn't you just replace the flexi joint with a longer one plugging the hole and giving you time to save for a 3" stainless ?

I use the Milner downpipes. Had several and they fit OK but the gaskets don't always fit. I have told them that. This may have been sorted. I have had to put the odd section in the crook of the cherry tree in our garden and give it a bit of an adjustment but given how they rot, meh, I don't mind. The joint in the middle is a concertina and pretty durable but the mesh fills with water and mud. I cut the mesh off one and left the joint exposed and that didn't trap the dirt.

Back