Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front winch bumper build (80)

OK, so what are these mystery items then? Hmm. Eh?

IMGP4206.jpg

Guessed what they are yet?

IMGP4208.jpg

Getting the hang of this fabricating lark. Just tacked up at this point

Now then - are we there yet?

IMGP4209.jpg

Oh yes. Well look, if I had the money, I'd buy something snazzy too. But I haven't so there.

I can't bend pipe yet, so this will get trimmed and there will only be the single pipe, with a light bar as well lower down.

IMGP4210.jpg

Pretty pleased with that bit. Mind you, it's getting heavy.

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4206.jpg
    IMGP4206.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMGP4208.jpg
    IMGP4208.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP4209.jpg
    IMGP4209.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMGP4210.jpg
    IMGP4210.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 117
Looking good as usual Chris, should look like a bought one when you're done :thumbup:

Thank you Jon. Appreciated. Like a bought one eh? That's Gary's usual line. Far from that I'm afraid. You can see the joins! Once this is blasted and powder coated I think that it will look pretty sharp. Having that Plasma cutter would make things like this so much easier and neater too. Complex shapes are nice and when you have to cut every thing with a disc it limits you somewhat.

Finished off the mounting points into pockets too. Now it's really solid. The were open sided brackets before but now they are fully enclosed. Not much more to do.

Jon, does a bumper make a good enough ground plane then for a CB aerial?

Chris

Very nice job! Like your ingenuity!

One comment is on the air take-off. For people like me that would be a knee-buster sticking out like that :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Then I suggest that you don't step out in front of me Frits! :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no such thing as a pedestrian friendly winch bumper. Not when it's attached to nearly 3 tonnes of 80. It's actually pretty discrete. It doesn't stick out that much. Proving very handy for kneeling on is this bumper. Good for getting over the engine to fix stuff. I could make a special step that slots into the high lift points. In fact that's a damn good idea. I shall follow that up. :idea:

Chris

Chris said:
Jon, does a bumper make a good enough ground plane then for a CB aerial?
yes, but it will prefer to be on top of the metal rather than having metal alongside it i.e. on a tab off the top bar is better than on the main bumper along side one of those supports.

Look, I know that you are all desperate for news on the bumper front, so here's tonight's efforts. Now that's enough! Don't over do it. You'll make yourself poorly!!!
Thought about cutting a section out of the rib to lighten it up a little. But it's a pain without cutting gear. Look nice though.

IMGP4213.jpg

IMGP4216.jpg

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4213.jpg
    IMGP4213.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMGP4216.jpg
    IMGP4216.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 98
Well the balance looks spot on :lol:

How heavy is it now?

Can I buy it (BW) when you done and acquire your 200. (or a bus. Give Chris a bus and he would put a winch on it :lol: )
I could have sworn there was a thread somewhere saying you would not do things to it ;)

Looking good though.

(still, when you ready to sell, let me know ;) Should not be long after the rear bumper is done?)

Andrew Prince said:
Wait for the diffs to be regeared for 35s and an intercooler to be fitted :lol:
A valid point - thanks. Does it have sliders yet? I need sliders too. :cool:

BOG OFF!

It's mine I tell you. :hand:

C

Of course it has sliders. 200 series? I think not.

Nice, nice! Chris, the bumper maker. :D Maybe you should consider mass production?

There is no chance of that I am certain. Far too much work to make custom stuff for people. These things are all a one-off. Maybe when I finally get plasma things will be easier. Produce a set of wooden templates, cut around with the torch and weld together sounds good. But to be fair, people don't generally want to pay the money. I think that the factory stuff is very overpriced and with modern methods for cutting and welding etc, they should be a deal cheaper. But as much of it has to come from Oz and goes through many hands, it's ridiculous by the time you get it.

The materials are pretty cheap, but it's the time and effort involved. If ARB winch bumpers were £400 I'd probably just have bought one.
But they aren't.

Chris

Put some real effort in today and I must only be one or two steps away from getting this to the coaters. Gave it a good polish down, did some filling and smoothing too, then stuck it on to see how it looked. Pretty happy, to say it's made from scrap.

Mounted.jpg

The I decided that it looked a bit solid. So I set too and cut some sections out of the uprights to lighten it up a but. Need a bit of filing down and tidying. Another case for buying that plasma torch! Dear Santa, I have been very very good this year....

Slotted.jpg

Chris

Attachments

• Mounted.jpg
    Mounted.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Slotted.jpg
    Slotted.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 119
Wow that is an amazing piece of kit you have put togeher there :thumbup: :clap:

Thanks for that. Once they are blasted and coated these things tend to really start looking like 'a bought one'. Looked nasty all covered in rust, so I thought I whizz that all off with the grinder and cup brush. However, I seemed to have ended up storing most of that up my nose!

C

Back