Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front winch bumper build (80)

Looking good Chris :thumbup: Hope that mug that,s laying on its side is not one of your best :!: You no what our better halfs can be like when they catch us using there best kitchen equipment in the pursuit of our hobbies :D

All of our mugs have a strange gritty feel to them. Hmm, been too close to the angle grinder I think. Or I like to look at it as a non slip coating. We have way too many mugs anyway. Can't get anything out of the cupboard for the blooming things. And they're always empty. Thought about putting a tea machine in the garage and little milk fridge. Self service!

Picked up some more steel this morning. So I shall be going for it tonight.

Chris

Looking very good cris. Looking forward to the end result.I'm sure It will be finished for the weekend. Good look!!! Karl

Blimey, doesn't it go dark quickly. What happened to those long Summer evenings? Got some tin bashing done tonight so I think that it will be road legal for Friday if not all smooth and polished.

IMGP4163.jpg

Unfortunately, seem to have picked up a little twist in it somewhere. Can't work out where so left it for now so I can look tomorrow. Got the end fence sorted too which I think it's going to look quite good. As long as I can find the twist. In these pics it's actually square. Can't think what I did later that upset it.

IMGP4161.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP4163.jpg
    IMGP4163.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 76
  • IMGP4161.jpg
    IMGP4161.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 63
Looking really good Chris, bet you'll have a lot of interest in that at Lincomb ;) :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon, is there much flex on an 80 between the chassis and the bodywork? I gave mine a good rocking tonight to see if that settled the twist and there didn't seem to be any difference between the bumper and the bodywork at all. I don't want to go and 'straighten' it only to find that moving it 2 feet on the drive has the same effect! In the pics, it's bang on and now suddenly for no reason it's 10mm out on the passenger side.

Grrr

Chris.

There's not normally any twist parked on the flat, but for example put your front left wheel on a ramp and they twist quite a bit, but 10mm would be quite flexed, so I don't think that can be your problem. Must be frustrating :(

I was going to buy a bullbar for my Troopie, but after this, I think I am going to take the plunge.

Nice work Chris - hope you get it sorted by Friday. Sorry I'm not there to keep you 'straight' ;)

G

While I was playing around with my front bumper a couple of weeks ago Chris, it revealled quite how much I had shunted it when I drove over that Silver Birch tree a while back... :-(

Which makes it even more tricky to establish any innaccuracies in my bending & fabricating... DOH!!!

hope the twist goes

interesting project so far,

i now have a pile of steel in my driveway...

Yeah, sort of found where it is. It's combination of small dimensions in different places including the chassis ends I think. It's close enough now. Had to modify the design a little for now to get it done, but looking pretty good. Should be done of the major fab tonight and then a good weld all round with some strengtheners. Might give it a coat of paint. Or not.

Chris

Well, seeing as how I couldn't go out to play like you boys this weekend, I thought I would get some more work done on my now very rusty bumper. I don't like High Lifts particularly, but you can't build a bumper without points in now can you.

First I welded a tube inside, in line with the dumb irons so there is max strength. There are welded under and over plus they are plug welded through the winch plate

IMGP4192.jpg

Then I broke though from the outside and widened the holes out to take the HL adapter. Then I made a little eyebrow to go on top which actually stops the adapter from spinning right round.

IMGP4196.jpg

Here's the adapter in place

IMGP4195.jpg

Then feeling creative, I decided to put my front air take off point in. As the bumper is angled, I wanted the air point to be square on, so I made this little profile to sit it on. I kinda like detail on things and this adds some, well, some detail.

Got to say, it's a fine bit of welding
IMGP4198.jpg

The added the shroud and valve

IMGP4203.jpg

Then it was time for tea!

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4192.jpg
    IMGP4192.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMGP4196.jpg
    IMGP4196.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP4195.jpg
    IMGP4195.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP4198.jpg
    IMGP4198.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 76
  • IMGP4203.jpg
    IMGP4203.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 79
Just a point Chris. The way you have done the jack points you will not be able to "cast" the LC over if you ever need to. Other wise it looks good.

Paul

Paul, that's what I have a winch for, mate. And, I have built in enough 'swing' in the shrouds to be able to do that. There is some 'slack' in the system as it were.

TBH my HL jack isn't even high enough to get the wheels of the ground. Who cares. They are truly hateful things anyway :D

Chris

EDIT - actually Paul, all I need to do is pull the adapter out 1" and then it's clear isn't it?

It's coming along nicely Chris, can't wait to see that bad boy finished

Looking really really [s:363rgwph]nice[/s:363rgwph] [s:363rgwph]good[/s:363rgwph] [s:363rgwph]excellent[/s:363rgwph] - ach, it looks top Chris!!! Good work fella!!!

Back