Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Galvanised steel tubes - good steel suppliers?

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
I need to buy two 30mm x 30m x 2mm wall thickness galvanized steel tubes cut to 1500mm length. In addition I need to buy two 25mm x 25mm x 1.6mm wall thickness galvanized steel tubes cut to 1000mm length. Can somebody recommend a good steel supplier [i know i could search the Internet but always good to get personal recommendations]. I was thinking these guys as they are in London http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/. Any other suggestions? Obviously it isn't a bulk order which may rule out some suppliers.

It's for a bike rack.

30mm x 30m ? ;)

On ebay i use some guys called metal mania, always been good for little jobs and have some really weird off cuts that you buy by weight in a box. Some really handy bits and pieces to get you out of a jam.

whoops :) I'm ensuring I have a good departure angle so 30m should do it ;)

Simon look in your local Thompson under steel stockholders. This is where fabricators buy their steel, not off the Internet. I use a local stockier and I can't help but laugh when they tell me the bill bit when I look at web sellers I just wince.
7,5m of 20mm box cost me around 6 quid and they deliver for free to my area!

C

Just to close this one off, Chris you have opened my eyes to a world of steel at my doorstep. ;) Unfortunately, most will not sell galvanised for under a ton which is a bit more than i wanted so i'll have to get them done myself.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gav Peter said:
Bloomin shame you don't live closer a moi...
Yeah tell me about it - my first trip in the truck when i got it comprised sitting for an hour on Euston Road :violin:

:doh:

If you can find a BSS nearby you, they will have galvanised steel tube but it would probably be a bit heavier than your 2mm wall... 30mm O/D is about 1" nominal bore tube. If you're coming to Lincomb &/or can wait that long for someone to carry on the relay, I'll fetch you some down...

Thanks for the offer. Gav I was only saving some shipping weight on my bike rack from Oz but i've told him to just chuck in the pieces now. At least the will fit exactly.

Back