Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

genuine or non-genuine?

paulm

what items do people use for service items?
things like filters etc - is it toyota all the way?

where's the best place to buy everything? direct from toyota?
many thanks :)

The easy answer is 'yes' main dealer every time for everything. The more intelligent answer might be yes for something and no for others. Do we all buy washer fluid from the main agent? I doubt it. I'd say that for a school run vehicle, aftermarket everything should be good enough. Would I do that on the trip of a lifetime across the World? Err nope. But I still would feel fine with Milner sump washers, snap rings, paper gaskets..

So the question and the answers need to be taken in context. If the answer is no, not always dealer item, then there has to be a logic set that is applied to make that decision. Sometimes that is based on real experience and other times it's simply founded on nothing other than rumour.

I have been using Milner service parts (and others) for many many years and I have not had a problem with their filters or oils. Some other bits have been rubbish - but this is about service consumables. I only do 5k per annum, so am I going to change my oil every three thousand and buy Africa spec filters? Nah.

But doesn't mean that others won't. But in answer to your question 'best place to buy' has to be main dealer. If I'm going to get an OEM part, I shall ask our very own Mr Rubie first. Best of both Worlds. Top quality and I get to keep my spare internal organs.

Chris

I suggest you give Greg a call at Burgess Hill, seeing that you're in my neighbourhood (kind of). A Land Cruiser is a quality bit of kit and should be treated as such, which doesn't mean going main dealer and getting ripped off.

http://www.landcruisersoverland.com/contact/

John

The Dark Dude

Thanks for the replies. I understand that in the context "best" will always mean toyota.
Since I'm hoping to do a little more than just nip to the shops, I think it would be wise for me to invest and get OEM items.

Thanks for the link John, I'll give them a go. Can anyone else recommend any other friendly companies?

Chris said:
I shall ask our very own Mr Rubie first. Best of both Worlds. Top quality and I get to keep my spare internal organs.Chris
Interesting, :think: how many of your internal organs are spare Chris :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to complete the circle on Chris and DD's posts - Ian and Greg work together at LC Overland so you don't have to pick one or t'other ;) The advice here is good though - use OEM where the part is critical (I would put filters in this category if you're going off the beaten path), take your pick on basic consumables.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
use OEM where the part is critical (I would put filters in this category if you're going off the beaten path), take your pick on basic consumables.

On that note then, what would the (your ;) ) opinion be on an alternator? I've ordered a refurb Mr-T one (has Mr-T guarantee) to the tune of £270. I can get a brand new Lucas one (direct replacement for the model, 100A jobbie) for slightly less.
The Mr-T unit is nothing other than a Bosch. For stuff like that, would you go with a known brand yet not Mr-T?

As for filters and stuff, I don't understand why people go for aftermarket stuff? A Mr-T oil filter for me costs £18. A quick look at Euro car parts and it's either R11 (Bosch, good I guess) or £9.24 for a Mr Whan-Tang engineering one. For something you replace everyday, sure, the saving is worth it. We all find the cheapest diesel by a penny, but to save £8 over 12/24 months, surely that is not worth it?

Different if you buying a oil filter for a R reg Ka which is almost falling apart... :mrgreen:

I buy genuine toyota for most service items like filters and brake pads etc

Crispin said:
what would the (your ;) ) opinion be on an alternator? I've ordered a refurb Mr-T one (has Mr-T guarantee) to the tune of £270. I can get a brand new Lucas one (direct replacement for the model, 100A jobbie) for slightly less.
The Mr-T unit is nothing other than a Bosch. For stuff like that, would you go with a known brand yet not Mr-T
Why not give the Lucas one a bash then? It seems the alternators from Mr T are not that robust across the range and there are a few 120s reporting problems with the OEM version, so you could be the guinea-pig on an alternative. I can't help but think that Mr. T had an idea that LC alternators might get the odd splash so designed accordingly - does Lucas do the same? I guess tractors are also off-road machines (that's where I've mostly come across Lucas items :mrgreen: ).

As Chris said, if you were heading on a 10,000 mile expedition next week, then go OEM for sure. When you have the AA on call, it's less critical.

Most items are sourced in by vehicle manufactures, so I always look at pricing from suppliers (same stuff different box) who stock from reputable companies who manufacture the parts i.e Bosch, sachs, LUK, Gates, Delphi & such like, also a lot of dealers source some of their parts in from such suppliers, there is a price war going on out there so always ask for a price match.

Back