Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ghetto-blaster sound!! Who has what for their 80

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
I have an urge in my late years to play my childhood rock at the sound-levels it deserves, has anyone installed nose-bleed audio, what and how? I am a total novice at this.:icon-biggrin:

Thx

Steve

I have an urge in my late years to play my childhood rock at the sound-levels it deserves

Steve

I too do that but I have to rely on my mobile with ear phones, my 80 stereo died a couple of Xmas's back, looking at a touch screen model. Back to your question, even years ago if you wanted REALLY loud music without distortion it was about the amps and speakers and batteries, I doubt that has changed. You may have to concede some boot space if you want serious bass. The rear bass OE unit is not even close to delivering what I think you want.

regards

Dave

I have an urge in my late years to play my childhood rock at the sound-levels it deserves, has anyone installed nose-bleed audio, what and how? I am a total novice at this.:icon-biggrin:

Thx

Steve

Ive just installed Polk Audio coaxials in both front and back doors using this as a guide:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-door-speaker-upgrade.329297/
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-door-speaker-upgrade.327663/

I have also added polk Audio 1" tweeters to the top of the A pillars, the tweeters are running off the pumpkin double din android head unit and the coaxials are fed by a kenwood 4 channel amp.
Bass/Sub bass is provided by a TEAC active sub that lives under the passenger seat,
I had bought two amps before i realised that there is no room under the back seats to mount amplifiers, I got round this by using the existing rear quarter subwoofer mounting plate to mount the kenwood amplifier on a bit of plywood.

Sound is obviously not sound-off spec (im not lead lining the 80 as its heavy enough already) Bass is punchy and strings and vocals are clear from just the coaxials (I may amp the tweeters later)
I've been pushhing appetite for destruction through it along with a little foo fighters and Nirvarna ........ ITS F**king GREAT

I used to enjoy my LOUD rock music in my younger years.... and ended up with tinnitus.. so think about what db levels you expose your ears to when cranking up 'Welcome to the Jungle'!!

noise pollution

I used to enjoy my LOUD rock music in my younger years.... and ended up with tinnitus.. so think about what db levels you expose your ears to when cranking up 'Welcome to the Jungle'!!

Just loud enough to drown out the sound of the kids is as high as it goes

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I'm a biker, tinnitus comes standard!

Ive just installed Polk Audio coaxials in both front and back doors using this as a guide:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-door-speaker-upgrade.329297/
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-door-speaker-upgrade.327663/

I have also added polk Audio 1" tweeters to the top of the A pillars, the tweeters are running off the pumpkin double din android head unit and the coaxials are fed by a kenwood 4 channel amp.

Bass/Sub bass is provided by a TEAC active sub that lives under the passenger seat,
I had bought two amps before i realised that there is no room under the back seats to mount amplifiers, I got round this by using the existing rear quarter subwoofer mounting plate to mount the kenwood amplifier on a bit of plywood.

Sound is obviously not sound-off spec (im not lead lining the 80 as its heavy enough already) Bass is punchy and strings and vocals are clear from just the coaxials (I may amp the tweeters later)
I've been pushhing appetite for destruction through it along with a little foo fighters and Nirvarna ........ ITS F**king GREAT

I'll take a look at the threads thanks mate. My VX doen't have the door speakers in front, only those piddly things in the corners of the dash. Suppose it's not a problem to put door mounts in as long as they are not too deep. Was thinking a little Nickleback....

I too do that but I have to rely on my mobile with ear phones, my 80 stereo died a couple of Xmas's back, looking at a touch screen model. Back to your question, even years ago if you wanted REALLY loud music without distortion it was about the amps and speakers and batteries, I doubt that has changed. You may have to concede some boot space if you want serious bass. The rear bass OE unit is not even close to delivering what I think you want.

regards

Dave

It's all the amps and cross-over talk that confuses me:?

I replaced the OE DD radio/CD with a face-off Sony CD radio/CD/USB mp3 unit a few years ago. Nothing very fancy at all really and and 35w PC but even this easily over powers the OE speakers. The distortion at anything much over half volume is terrible.

I'll take a look at the threads thanks mate. My VX doen't have the door speakers in front, only those piddly things in the corners of the dash. Suppose it's not a problem to put door mounts in as long as they are not too deep. Was thinking a little Nickleback....

I had only rear passenger door speakers and the tiddly dash things along with the rear "woofer" that performed like a miniature poodle.

I now have 4 moderately half decent speakers in all 4 doors along with 4 matching little tweeters.

It's not bad TBH all driven by a moderately priced double din JVC radio thingy with a reverse camera set up to the screen.

The JVC also has Bluetooth (sadly only one at a time) and usb inputs, but it allows me to use the iPhone 5 hands free with auto shut down of whatever's playing at the time.

My taste in music is a little less extreme than sepaltura, more like Zeppelin at that end and Coldplay at the other, sad but true...

Ive just installed Polk Audio coaxials
polk Audio 1" tweeters to the top of the A pillars,
the tweeters........
pumpkin
double din android
coaxials are fed by a kenwood 4 channel amp.
Bass/Sub bass is provided by a TEAC active sub
two amps
sub woofer
just the coaxials
I may amp the tweeters later

:think:....yeh my thoughts exactly............you seem to be missing the cosmic torque flange converter though? Or just swap in a giggling pin and chuffer valve.......:wtf:

regards

Dave

I run rockford fosgate amps, tweeters and sub (in the factory location) sony mids. From a jvc headunit.
Tweeters are amped so clear sound.
The system handles everything from the little uns disney cd right through to stuff like megadeth, metallica, slipknot etc
Amps mount to the drawers out of the way and im on with making some front door speaker pods.

Its not the loudest system in the world but sound quality is how i want it

:think:....yeh my thoughts exactly............you seem to be missing the cosmic torque flange converter though? Or just swap in a giggling pin and chuffer valve.......:wtf: regards Dave

I thought just the same Dave, but apparently they're out dated now... :whistle:

:think:....yeh my thoughts exactly............you seem to be missing the cosmic torque flange converter though? Or just swap in a giggling pin and chuffer valve.......:wtf:

regards

Dave[/QUOTE

I'm gonna hope skip the above and hope that Santa brings me the Turner Bachman overdrive i put on my Christmas list:lol:

Just consider them as filters only sending the noise that you want to the particular speaker, so you arent playing violins through a speaker meant to produce bass and vice versa.
Most of them are just something you connect inline between either the head and the speaker or the amp and the speaker and then click a switch to select which frequencies are filtered out.

I think the metal of the door will have the pressing for the speaker mount under the door card. From memory the depth limit is just under 2 inches before it catches on the window mech, You can space the speaker out using the flex in the door card but i dont see you being able to to use a speaker much deeper than 2.5 inches without building ugly pods.
The position of the speaker pressing in the panel means the front of the speaker is almost touching the side of the dashboard panel. I cant really say enough good things about those Polk speakers... Theyre marine spec so moisture from river crossings or leaky rubbers wont be an issue.

Your right Clive, mind you I never went the 'fluffy dice' route (apparently improved bass) but, I do recall purchasing the Sharp stack system for my 3.1 Ford Capri, first stack system seen in a car in our area. Media systems technology has come a long way since those days and TBH I have completely lost touch of what is what nowadays.

When I eventually get to fit a new sound system I will have to spend some time researching what does what again.

regards

Dave

Your right Clive, TBH I have completely lost touch of what is what nowadays.

When I eventually get to fit a new sound system I will have to spend some time researching what does what again.

regards

Dave

I'm just the same, it took me ages to be convinced that cassette tapes may be better than the 8-track that I had for donkey's years :lol:

Some of the systems available now for cars are better than most average household systems. Technology always streaks away from me, and usually, I catch up in stages at about 10 year intervals :lol:

I'm just the same, it took me ages to be convinced that cassette tapes may be better than the 8-track that I had for donkey's years :lol:

Some of the systems available now for cars are better than most average household systems. Technology always streaks away from me, and usually, I catch up in stages at about 10 year intervals :lol:

I've still got an old Woolworths Music Centre that plays 45, 33 and 78rpm and has an 8 track player, it's not plugged up though, I've got it in storage for one of those days. :whistle:

Back