Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Glue for repairing plastic clips etc

Julian

Hi, has anybody found a good plastic glue for repairing annoying little broken plastic clips etc
Something a little better than super glue?
Thanks

For a lot of jobs I've used Gorilla Glue, so far it's been marvelous :thumbup: , one drawback though is that it expands slightly when curing so I'm not sure how easy it would be to use on small fiddly stuff :think:

I've never found anything that works well on hard plastics so I'll be interested in the answers you get as well Julian. What have you broken? :)

I had thought of Gorilla, but the expanding bit might be bad
Jon, its the catch that holds the top centre box lid down :evil:

There is a Super Glue for hard plastics that I found works very well. On the right hard plastics. I broke a door mirror off completely. I used the primer first which seals up the porous surface then normal SG. The mirror is still on to this day.

All of these glues stick well, on things that they stick well. :think:

Hot glue gun can work quite well at times too.

Chris

Pop a message to Rob - his employer has fairly exotic adhesives they use on their motors I believe ... He may be well placed to advise.

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The expanding Gorilla Glue is PK if the part being glued can be put under a press of some sort (a book?) or wrapped up in tape maybe.

I used pratley putty iirc. Its a two part blue grey dough you kneed. Allows you to mould and build up the joint. Files like hard plastic after an hour. Very strong and it deemed to bond to the plastic instead if just sit in it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I'm with Chris....

Superglue - but stay with the products especially formulated for ABS type plastics.... whilst they are all cyanoacrylates their viscosity / cure times vary.

Something like Loctite 435 & Primer Loctite 770 would be perfect, in an industrial application, but then if you only want to repair the odd item getting hold of them in affordable quantities may be difficult.

'Loctite All Plastics' is probably the easiest superglue alternative I've used - should cost ~£6 at your local DIY store... I've just repaired a cup holder with this, and its not spilt anything yet....

Justin, thanks for your recommendations. I have found 20g pack of 435 for about £20.
Do you think its worth the extra cost over the standard stuff
I have looked at the Loctite stuff and your right, it sounds perfect
Would I need the primer as well?

The primer closes the pores off and helps achieve a better bond...

If you're going with the 435 you could always try that first, then if it fails again, lightly abrade back and use the primer.
(It should come in 5g bottles too btw)

At the end of the day its a catch on a box... unless of course you're planning on breaking more bits off....

Justin_Elliott said:
At the end of the day its a catch on a box... unless of course you're planning on breaking more bits off....

Thanks, I will order some
You say its only a catch, but unfortunately the lid is sprung. Every time you lift your elbow of it it pings open :evil:
Also ToyoDIY quote a replacement lid at €430 ish :o :o :o :o :o

There's no glues for polypropylene (PP) or polyethylene (PE, LDPE and HDPE). ABS can be stuck with some. Best option is to weld PP and PE.

I'd also go with plastic welding as Ben & Dave have suggested :) :thumbup: I've had some cracking results just using a fine tipped 35watt soldering iron without any filler rods :D

That's all I used here to fuse the plastic back together :D

P5130007.jpg

P5130008.jpg

Fixed with soldering iron
P5130006_renamed_6178.jpg

P5130005_renamed_938.jpg

Remember to dig deep with the iron and get it all hot melted and fused, but don't be to keen :naughty: :lol: :lol: ;)

for ABS stuff I have always found solvent weld to be the best bet. use it every day in my plumbing work and have used it on many saxo's and corsa's to good effect. never had to on the LC though.

Gary Stockton said:
Pop a message to Rob - his employer has fairly exotic adhesives they use on their motors I believe ... He may be well placed to advise.

Cheers
Only just found this thread. As much as I would like to tell you what glues are used in our motors (and there are loads of different glues in each motor) unfortunately I cant. However as I do a lot of prototype testing on complete drives including motors I can say that cyanoacrylate is great on most things just as long as there isn't too much vibration and/or too much heat. If vibration is an issue I use Araldite 2021 which cures pretty fast. If heat is an issue I use Araldite 2014 but takes about 8 hours to cure unless you stick it in an oven at 80 deg c for about 30 min.

Back