Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

God damn immobiliser !!!!

its to wet to burn :lol:
cheers for link, again !!
hey I planning on driving to Portugal in april, as this is my first overland trip in a 4 wheeler I all ready getting excited about it lol

No problem. See how you get on. Hope you've sorted it, you'll have succeeded where I failed if you have.

It is unlikely to be your sunroof but you can always tape it up to prove it.

If it was your sunroof you would see it in the headlining.
I had my fingers really well crossed for you Alex but I believe the only sure fire way to seal the screen is to remove it clean the glass, rubber and body and refit with sealant. NOT ARBOMAST but a proper windscreen sealer such as the butyl one I have linked to. By doing this you can control where the sealant goes, avoid drain channels (which could be blocked by old sealant) and get a uniform bead of non setting sealant in all the right places you just cannot get at with the screen in situ.

It's not a difficult job provided the screen has not been bonded to the metal. You have to go gently and release the rubber from inside on a corner and gently work along the top and edge. Be prepared to treat any rust around the metalwork before the screen goes back and you will need two people to take out, move and put the screen back as it is too unwieldy.

I've had my screen visibly drip from the rubber above the mirror due to non dealing with Arbomast (did I say to avoid this stuff?).

Not what you want to hear I know but I tried all the same remedies but only taking the screen out did the job.

Back in 2012 i replaced both my front and rear glass with genuine toyota glass and genuine toyota gaskets, i foolishly used arbomast as this was the equivalent to what toyota would of used, what action would you advise me to take? It hasnt leaked at all but surely its just a ticking time bomb?

Just keep an eye on it CG if I were you. I wouldn't be fixing what ain't broken. If it's been leak free since 2012, you obviously did the job well enough to overcome the failings others have seen in Arbomast. I have also heard and suspect myself that non genuine screens are not the same size as genuine.

I would say it sounds like you've got the original Levis 501s and fitted belt and braces to the original braces and belt fitting instructions. [emoji4]

YAHOOOO !!!! :icon-biggrin: :dance::clap: no more LEAKS !!!!!
born dry, like a desert, not a drop of water in sight :icon-biggrin:, what ever that sticky stuff is i used it has stopped the leaks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Done hose pipe test for over two hours, done motorway test for a hour in the rain and vehicle been outside all night sat in the rain, just been out in rain for final test and its "DRY" in the cab !!:icon-biggrin:

Wooohooo, well done that man[emoji3].

Long may it continue. I had a feeling it was going to be OK hence the suggestion to dry it out. [emoji6][emoji11]

[emoji4] glad I could help, and glad you managed to sort it without taking the screen out. I have to say I had my doubts that sealing it in situ would work but looks like you got a far better result than I did.

Well done. Your main worry is over as you've diagnosed it so if it leaks again you'll know what it is. I bet you were tempted to drill holes in the floor :icon-biggrin:.

Cheers Frank :icon-biggrin:, I took the rubber grommets out the floor as there was so much water, about 1" lol.
We have had a lot of rain here in wales, just like the rest of country, but truck is still dry so I a happy man.

Crikey! 1" is serious. Have you lifted the carpets, I've taken the grommets out a couple of times myself and emptied the gulleys at the sides. I was tempted to put taps on them at one point but never had an inch in there.

One tip gathered from another forum on soaking up water was to fill pillow cases with cat litter and put them on the floor. Apparently it helps dry the carpets. Came from a green oval owner so he should know. [emoji23]

I had to drive it with wellies on lol ,never thought of kitty litter, that's a damn good idea !!! I went a little more conventional, i lifted carpets and put space heater on in garage for day or so, it was bloody roasting in there, which the misses didn't mind as garage is below house and made it toasty warm while she watches her tv soaps lol.
im of to our new modern mot garage this morning and gonna ask them to give the truck a good look over and see if it is a good one. I then can make a start on adding bits :icon-biggrin:.
I let you know what they say, also its pouring down this morning so a run over the mountians will be a good test if grommets are in ok lol

Good luck with that. I've been going to the same MOT garage so long they're now one of my customers and I ask if o can have a look underneath which they have no problem with (others may treat this differently for 'safety' reasons but if you know them well it may be worth asking if you can have a look while its up on the ramp/over the pit.

Just returned from mot garage and all is good, actually very good, no rust no problems apart from handbrake seized on one wheel, so well happy about that. mot mate says truck in real good condition for a 92 :icon-biggrin:. Next step is 2" lift a roof rack for roof tent which I purchased a little while ago and what ever else I need which I hope to get advise on from this forum. :icon-biggrin:
I had a good look under truck as its a mates garage and he pointed out what to look for and all is well, its a lot better than the Mitsubishi I had before, that thing rusted away and only half the age of the Toyota. :clap:

Excellent news Alex. You must be so pleased. Sounds like you've found the needle in the haystack then. [emoji3]

Well done Alex, been watching this one, good result.

Just a note on my experiences of leaks from the sunroof. I get a drip, usually at this time of year, from the front driver's side (left in my case) corner of the frame, it comes through at the fabric beading running round the aperture in the headliner.

I always tolerate it for a while, then I'll get up on the rack and rod out the drain pipe with a thin wire and usually that does the trick.

My theory is that through the autumn, leaves and brush debris gets in and then blocks the tubes. When the headliner was out (for the re-spray 2 years ago) I checked all the tubes and apart from one that had dried out and cracked (replaced) they were in good condition and in position.

Every year I think it will be alright, but as before, this morning I had the dreaded drip on my head, we've had snow and it's thawed with heavy rain, so it's not surprising really.

So this weekend I'll be pulling (and pushing) my wire. :shock:

I had the odd drip or three coming through the stitching towards the top of the A pillar. This, so far, SEEMS to have been cured by the windscreen reseal I performed in the summer.

Time will tell I suppose as it was a very rare occurrence.

Back