Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

God damn immobiliser !!!!

Granted, that won't be the reason for a leak. But the outer rubber is higher than the inner rubber do without some form of sealant the water gets in.

I'm speaking from memory now but when I took my skuttle panel off I noticed that there was an upturn to the entrance of the air/heater intake and thought "ah that's to stop water getting in". If water builds up on the horizontal bulkhead it could pour down into the heater motor assy which is not watertight. I think there are drains at each end of the bulkhead panel by the corner of the screen, well there must be.

Just an idea !!! What about the drain holes from sunroof, is there pipes attached that could become unattached then let water in ????

They can get blocked Alex, however you generally see a mess around the headlining. Easily checked by carefully pouring water down them from the sunroof surround. On the 80 there are 4 drains that exit near the wheel arches underneath.

I doubt very much that they would be leaking TBH.

I will check the sunroof outlets in the morning, if that dint the problem I will remove the screen and go from there. I just can't see where else it can come in !!!!

Change of plan, I'm going to put my truck back in garage and do some more tests, I will post pics as and when !!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think that upstand on the air intake is sealed to the bulkhead. If the sealer fails water can get in. I forget the exact construction now but if I had any leaks I would be checking everything under that skuttle to make sure everything is watertight and that water can't stand there but drain away.

Well according to toyoDIY the skuttle is called a "cowl panel" lol. It looks like you can't get at the upstand without removing the heater intake from inside the car.

Sit in it in the pi@@ing rain and watch Alex. You'll see if it is leaking.

I had drips onto the pedals- not all the time. A weep round one corner, mostly the left side, most of the time when it rained, also from the top, rarely and from the seams in the 'A' pillar lining - rarely.

I read up on sunroof leaks and decided all possibilities were red herrings.

If you cannot see water coming in, cover the screen with polythene and see if the water stops coming in. Bit of gaffer tape sealing the poly across the roof will stop most of the water getting in (not for driving in of course).

Good luck with it Alex.

Tubes from sunroof are running clear and the gaps near the wiper attachments are clear, no build up of water in skuttle panel or cowl or whatever you call it, but there seems to be water on the inside of screen, further tests will reveal if it's the screen !!!!
I will tape of certain areas and do more tests, next step is to stand on my head in the truck and try and see where it's coming in !! Hey starcruiser the a pillers are bone dry with no signs of damp from sunroof or on the lining, hope it dint behind the heater as I guess that a big job to take out !

Think about what got water in and what is above. If it's stuff below the heater that got the water in then it could be from there or the screen. Has the screen been replaced at any time?

Where is the water on the inside of the screen?

Last edited:
Truck does not use water so dont think it's from heater. Don't know if screen has been changed, i only owned it a few months.
The water is in the corners of bottom of screen but I don't thiink it's anywhere near the amount that's getting to the floor, I think water on screen is condensation. I will take the screen like you Said earlier and see what happens !!

Yep, bottom corners is where it mainly came in on mine. I doubt very much your heater or less the cooling system is at fault though I do bow to Frank's superior knowledge on these areas.

The rubber is higher in the outside than on the inside. Water gets in and travels around the screen either at the bottom corners on the outside where it pools (most likely) or somewhere up the sides.

Stuff some paper towel in the corners and you will find it gets pretty wet.

I'm not sure if the screen shows a maker but IIRC the factory glass has Toyota on it. Looks like a generic rubber in there too unless the UK trucks had rubbers like that. I'll hazard a guess it has been changed at some point and they don't know how to fit windscreens on rubbers any more, Autoglass told me so after the second fitting of mine. The delamination of the glass could be as a result of water seeping in.

This is looking all too familiar.

I did not mean water from the engine via the heater but rain water coming in around the heater air intake where it passes through the bulkhead.

Good luck anyway.

Cheers for the info Frank, I understand what your saying now. I don't think it's from there as it only dripping from the side plastics of the footwell, but I will investigate further. Not been able to do anything today as the outlaws are visiting lol
I will get in amongst it later, fingers crossed !!!
I will post some pics when i find leak

Yeah sounds like the screen. What I can't understand is when my screen leaked the water used to dribble down from the corners inside. You could look over the dash when riding along and see it coming in. However when I looked behind the side kick panels I never found and water anywhere!! I think it must have found it's way out again inside the bottom of the front wing and dribble out onto the tarmac. Most odd.

Good luck. I'd like to see what you find.

P.S. When we had a few hot days I poured WD40 in the corners where the screen was leaking. A lot. This presumably followed the path of the water and protected an electrics in the way. It also cured the leak.......ish. lol . I'll use engine oil when we get some dry days. Spain would be a good place. I forgot last year.

Back