Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Got myself a Lathe

And always remember the words of a very wise man . . .

"Having a lathe doesn't make you a Machinist".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob.

You'll also need some digital calipers and a dial test indicator with a magnet base. If you use the 4 jaw, it's essential for getting things central.

My tail stock 'ejects' the MT3 accessories by winding it in fully, when it gets to the end it sort of knocks them out by itself.

Chris

"a dial test indicator with a magnet base" - have one of these already - use it for checking run out when fitting brake discs

Here's my little lathe - I think... It's over 100 years old or very nearly & still works perfectly. Its a Leizure if anyone knows about them?

2012-03-09%2019.32.06.jpg

Oh Oh :!: . . Don't let Chris see all those exposed belts & gears - He's a professional Safety Elf :doh:

:lol: :lol:

It looks good. Nice and simple & robust. It'll go on for years :thumbup: .

Bob.

Only at work Bob. Only at work. That's why it's the Elf n Safety at Work etc Act. Not the We're watching your every move Act.

Mind you, ripping off parts of your anatomy is not fun either at work or at home.

It's an intriguing looking thing. I also have my Father's old Coronet woodworking lathe too. But no room for it. It has a planer / thicknesser, circular saw, belt sander and a bowl turning attachment IIRC. Loads of tools and bits. Shame it's sort of propped up in a corner.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
I also have my Father's old Coronet woodworking lathe too. But no room for it. It has a planer / thicknesser, circular saw, belt sander and a bowl turning attachment IIRC. Loads of tools and bits. Shame it's sort of propped up in a corner.

I've always had a hankering for a wood turning lathe, but it would just be another hobby to add to all the others :doh: .

I bought a dust extractor for my bandsaw, belt sander, orbital sander & Grit Blaster and now I get catalogues from these people:

http://www.recordpower-thetoolshop.com/

I look, I dream, I drool . . but I resist (so far).

:lol: :lol:

Bob.

gosh i thought getting bits for a rivnut tool was difficult enough...

...started looking at lathe accessories and cutting tools :shock:
far too much choice!

:lol: yes there are a few to choose from! Probably best to have a task in mind and just get what you need for that at first.

Cptsideways said:
Here's my little lathe - I think... It's over 100 years old or very nearly & still works perfectly. Its a Leizure if anyone knows about them?

2012-03-09%2019.32.06.jpg

OOOer, I'm looking at one of those on the bay at the moment......here's hoping.

Andy, can we help at all? What is it that you (think) you need?

A decent mag stand
A dial indicator - simple plunger type
tail stock chuck
Dead centre for tail stock
Parting tool
Pilot drills
Turning tools - obviously
Boring bar
Threading tools internal and external
Vernier calipers
Engineer's square

Would be a good start

Chris

aye - thats the sort of thing Chris

i have digital calipers now, and alreay have dial-guage and mag stand

threading tools not a priority, as i have just got a tap-die set so can use that for now

can normal drill bits be used for pilot holes?

what is a parting tool used for?

there seemed to be L and R boring tools, why the need for both?

Normal drill bits don't always have a central tip Andy. Especially you have sharpened them yourself. Pilot drills are designed for this job and actually countersink the hole so that when you use a standard drill afterwards, the tip doesn't touch first and the flutes cut first. The are a couple of quid. Left and right handed boring bars. Are there? :think:

Taps great, do me a 20mm x 2.5 then if you would. :lol: :lol: Taps are fine, but lathes are infinite and not limited by diameter.
Parting tool is used instead of a hacksaw when you want to cut something off after turning it.
I also have a knurling tool as well, now that does dove a sexy finish to things.
Also pop into Screw fix and get a roll or two of their emery tape. Great for getting a nice finish on things whilst spinning.

Chris

Back