Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

GreenChem AdBlue:

Pretty pure urea and water mix, I think that sensors might not like it too much if personal donations are tried. It’s been used in large diesels (trucks etc.) for a while now, there are gizmos available to fool the ecu into thinking that it’s being used, mainly on cost grounds I think, not much liked by VOSA though.

Well, I live and learn.

Interesting; thanks chaps :thumbup:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ad-blue: I used to drive for a UK supermarket chain and their artics, at our depot, used ad-blue. One evening a driver mistakenly put ad-blue in the diesel tank. He phoned the office and they said drive it to the park and report it. The driver refused so the manager came down and drove the half mile to the park.. The manager returned to the office and phoned the Mercedes dealer and they said, 'Don't start it or drive it, what ever you do!' Oops, it cost a new engine and they are not cheap.
If they vehicle is designed/manufactured for using the stuff, then fine. If not I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Regards

Even more reasons to stick with a trusty 80!:think:

Ad-blue: I used to drive for a UK supermarket chain and their artics, at our depot, used ad-blue. One evening a driver mistakenly put ad-blue in the diesel tank. He phoned the office and they said drive it to the park and report it. The driver refused so the manager came down and drove the half mile to the park.. The manager returned to the office and phoned the Mercedes dealer and they said, 'Don't start it or drive it, what ever you do!' Oops, it cost a new engine and they are not cheap.
If they vehicle is designed/manufactured for using the stuff, then fine. If not I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Regards
That sounds like an opportunist garage to me. I cannot imagine any harm being done with that sort of dilution and short run time. It probably drank little more than what was in the filters and pump.

Over cautious at best.

I think it is water based so if it got to the pump it would ruin it. If a lot was put in the fuel tank it would go to the bottom and possibly be picked up by the pick up pipe. Having said that a good diesel paper filter will not pass water under only atmospheric pressure which is the maximum pressure the pick up pipe can supply assuming the top of the fuel level in the tank is at the same level as the filter.

Synthetic pig piss :lol: use it in the bigger vehicles with diesels. Poor quality/high water content adblue can stop the system working as has a sensor to check it in the tank.
Can tell when it's been spilt as leaves a white crystallised substance. Don't see many issues with the system tbh.

I’ve read that serious damage can be done with adblue in diesel and the engine shouldn't be started at all. As Gary said, it crystallises and damages the fuel system etc. Diesel in the adblue tank messes up the special catalytic convertor which is not a cheap item to replace.

Yeah you wouldn't want it in the fuel, easily damage a fuel pump etc I'd imagine.
I might mix some in a container with some diesel and see how it separates, research purposes and all that, it's quiet tomorrow.... :think:

Only had to drain one system when the customer put screen wash in! The system just turned off and put a warning light on the dash? If the sensor doesn't like what it sees it won't work.

Or it starved of fuel water not going through the filter and it stopped. We had water proof filters on old tractors in the 50's. If water got to the filter it could not pass through and this saved the fuel delivery pump. Obviously the engine stopped as well. On petrols there was a bulkhead glass sight bowl to collect water from the tank and a gauze filter at the top. if water reached filter level it could not pass.

Well rather disappointed, mixed them and just looks similar to mixing water in. Was hoping for some kind of explosion or spectacular fizzing :icon-evil: (it's Friday and everyone likes an early finish lol) have left the mixture to see if anything happens over the weekend (no one likes Mondays so extended weekend always good)
Intrigued to see if any adblue crystallises like it does when spill it.

Manager asked what I was upto, just told him mixing diesel and adblue to see what happens in case a customer puts it in the fuel tank, need to know how best to advise them :whistle::whistle:

Back