Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Grumbling noises on overrun.

Roger Crocker

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi
Went to test drive a W plate 100 4.2TD manual today.
On overrun it sounds dreadful, with a real grumble coming from somewhere in the transmission, though when pulling it was perfectly quiet.
It was a reasonable price from a used car dealer with no experience of these vehicles, mileage is 200k & the engine seemed to pull well with no smoke at anytime
Anybody have an idea of likely transmission issues? to create a real grumbling whining sound?
Thanks
Roger

On overrun the wheels are turning the engine rather than the other way around so might that exaggerate the effect of worn universal joints ?

On overrun the wheels are turning the engine rather than the other way around so might that exaggerate the effect of worn universal joints ?

I'd go with that Shayne, as an off the top first thoughts.

I've just replaced one of the 4 prop UJs, the rearmost at the rear diff, and now it's like they've fitted a complete new transmission !

Everything feels smooth and silky. :lol:

Rear diff can make this particular noise, I have replaced mine due to similar noise.
But could be any part of the drive train a careful look underneath may reveal something such as the prop UJs.
Lastly there are a steady stream of 100's around especially with that sort of mileage so maybe better to give it a miss in the hope of finding a car you are happier with.

Did it make the same sound in low range?

Ok thankyou both, been running an old Pajero up to a few weeks ago that I borrowed from my daughter, anything over 45 on that and you would think the prop was coming through the floor, that was the rear diff pinion bearing but the noise was there all the t
Did it make the same sound in low range?
No idea Julian
It was just a short on road test drive

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok thankyou both, been running an old Pajero up to a few weeks ago that I borrowed from my daughter, anything over 45 on that and you would think the prop was coming through the floor, that was the rear diff pinion bearing but the noise was there all the time,

Back