Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake Solutions

great to see the project is coming on well and making good progress

Right then, Cold ass morning today and i can't get the truck jacked up in the garage (one of the reasons I don't mind working on Amanda's MX-5) So I am going to have to do it on the street but one way or another I il have a working Handbrake Today.

Good luck with that i always find things usually go better when you feel your defying nature and common sense to get the job done , gives you a the right mindset somehow :thumbup:

WEll I am absolutely frozen...But...Sucess. well 90% anyway. The calipers are on, All the cabling is in and the hand brake works about %2000 better than it did, but it still isn't perfect. Can anyone advise. When I pull the brake on I meet resistance to the point where I can not pull it any further the actuator of the brake only move about 5mm and I can push it on further by hand with some effort. It will hold on a gradient up to around 15 degrees (according to the dash clocks.) The foot brake pedal does still seem a little soft so this maybe have something to do with it maybe another bleed may be in order.

Forget all that just been out and re-bled the brakes and all is well. It hold firm and true and it is not possible to pull away with the handbrake engaged:icon-biggrin: So SO So very happy now. Took it down one of our local lanes with a little bit of twisty stuff and all seems gooooooood the real test will be up in North Yorks on the 31st.

Just on a little side note. Chris this may come in handy
Land Rover Owner Editorial
Media House
Lynchwood
Peterborough
PE2 6EA
Email:[email protected]
Tel: 01733 468582

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Chris, genuinely pioneering work my friend. There are few boards that have not already been trodden with these vehicles; someone's always been there before you. But on this occasion there are only your prints in the snow.

Great work.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Chris, genuinely pioneering work my friend. There are few boards that have not already been trodden with these vehicles; someone's always been there before you. But on this occasion there are only your prints in the snow.

Great work.

Chris

Thanks Chris that means alot coming from you. When I first started using this forum (well the other one actually) You (or rather lil blue) were always my inspiration and you have always been a wealth of knowledge. So Thank you.

But...

Did you miss the address I posted up for you???

Land Rover Owner Editorial
Media House
Lynchwood
Peterborough
PE2 6EA
Email:[email protected]
Tel: 01733 468582

P.S. I will do a full write up later when I have a little more time. Is it worth starting a new thread so that it can be easily put and found in the Mods Sticky???

Last edited:
Awe, shucks, you're welcome. No I didn't miss the address, but I didn't and still don't have a clue what it's for. Come in handy? Sorry, I really don't follow. Maybe I am having a senior moment.

C

Don't worry Chris, I am laughing at this end. The day I take a thread seriously it'll be time to pack up. I think the Avensis idea is interesting. Not sure that you'll be able to get a cable run to it though. You may have to lose the back plate. But it's an idea. Converting the rear to disc handbrake from internal drum handbrake is something that clearly Toyota have done, so it's a maybe. The rear brake systems are identical in design on the two vehicles so anything that works on one can be made to work on the other. If you pursue a disc brake ad I pursue a prop brake, first one to make it work wins! And the other has to show his arse in Landrover magazine.

The ideas are certainly bouncing. That's for sure.

C

Ring any bells??:lol:

Jeez that was weeks ago. Is this what has been driving you? No wonder you have been so keen.

You have a better memory than me, that's for sure.

I'll send them a picture forthwith. If I remember that is.:lol:

Chris

Chris is bang on the money about your hand brake modification Chris, it a revelation :clap:

make certain that you get every detail included in your write up in particular the part I remember you mentioning about the sliders that I wasn't completely clear on.

Well done m8, very impressed and another item ill be adding to my list of future modification. Just when I thought I'd finished as well :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink: :lol:

Good News Guys. After a day of quite challenging laning up in North Yorks with lots of twisty stuff and a couple of serious axle twisters and the Handbrake is still spot on. Pulls on in about 5 clicks and hold well at 15 degrees. slips a little any higher than that until it find the grip on the disc.

All in all a good result I think and if past experience is anything to go by its definitely and MOT Pass.

Good News Guys. After a day of quite challenging laning up in North Yorks with lots of twisty stuff and a couple of serious axle twisters and the Handbrake is still spot on. Pulls on in about 5 clicks and hold well at 15 degrees. slips a little any higher than that until it find the grip on the disc.

All in all a good result I think and if past experience is anything to go by its definitely and MOT Pass.

I just read through all of this thread and found it very interesting. Fair play to you Chris. It's something I'd be very interested in doing having struggled to get my 90 series through it's annual test for each of the last few years. This setup would save having to adjust the handbrake every year and also because the back plates are worn on mine and will need replacing to properly fix my original handbrake which will be expensive, it would be a good option to be able to convert to this disc/caliper handbrake set up.

I'm just wondering if you ever done the write-up you mentioned you would do within that thread? I'd be familiar with fitting the calipers and slider pins, carrier brackets, etc but would be interested in seeing the way the cables were routed. Do you have the part numbers for the Avensis parts needed like the calipers and cables? Also, I see that you done this conversion in 2013, do you still have your cruiser and has the conversion been a success up til now? Does it pass its Mot annually without needing any adjustment?

Sorry for all the questions, if you have another thread or How to article on this, please post the link. :)

Back