Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handbrake Solutions

I suspect it's rare out in the field as a used Avensis part, there probably weren't many sporty Avensis (Avenses?) sold. But if it's fitted to other vehicles that widens the availability considerably, and it shouldn't make much difference if buying new.

Ah now that is interesting :think: This is where that part number came from http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2000_TOYOTA_AVENSIS_ZZT220R-ALMNKW_4707.2.html and to my mind that is the caliper that Chris has, but as you say clearly not the same part when you put that number through the part cross reference checker!!!! He does say with regards to the parts cross reference checker though 'Needs some cleaning up (ok, lots of cleaning up).'

47750-05040 This is one of the parts numbers I have. Toyo seems to be a little confused when it come to this part. when you look up the parts it comes up with different ones. If you look through the list Steven put up you are actually only left with about 40 RHD cars. If you then go through and manually check both through Toyo and other sources there is pretty much a list of about 3 actual models that have the disc brake setup as opposed to the drum or drum in disc.

As for getting hold of the part "in the field" It is a challenge. I spent 6 hours on the phone on tuesday ringing round breakers to find one. There is a chance that there are more out there but I have a very short fuse with people who don't listen to me, especially when they speak in an obnoxious foreign accent. I have nothing against other cultures and their people for the most part but when the conversations goes along these lines

Me "hi, I am looking for a N/S/R caliper from an 00-03 Toyota Avensis."
Trader "40 pounds"
Me "the thing is that were 2 different types of caliper used in those years and I am after the on with the handbrake acctuator as part of the caliper"
Trader "40 pounds"
Me "Sorry mate your an Arse, Goodbye"

It annoys me. I do not want to be shelling out £40 plus P&P only for them to send me the wrong part and me to then have to chase round the houses to get a refund (been burned before)

Hope this helps

Thanks Chris, that part no. makes more sense, the one Steven and I got from Toyodiy is for the caliper that doesn't have the hand brake function I think.

EDIT: 47730-05040 is the other side then.

Last edited:
Thought I had best get my backside in gear and ordered one of the ones from ebay. If I left it any longer you lot would snap them all up. When getting hold of the calipers make sure you either get the carries or can source the slider pins for sensible money. These are a necessity weather you decide to use the existing LC carrier or not.

The existing slider pin for the LC has about a 14mm thread at the top. This is too big to fit the new caliper. I considered drilling it out and tapping it but felt there would not be enough meat left on the caliper to be safe. So i decided to try and utilize the Avensis pins. They are in 2 parts. There is the slider pin with a threaded hole in the top then a bolt that goes through the caliper and into the pin to hold it all together. IMHO I think this design is better as you do not have to remove the whole pin to remove the caliper which should make giving them a through cleaning after playing in the mud alot easier.

Once the other caliper lands I will crack on as soon as posible. Would like to get it done before the end of the month as I have got a laning day planned for the 31st and it would be a great time to test out the handbrake operation. Unfortunately my write up are usually abit crap as I tend to get too engrossed in what I am doing and forget to take pictures. I will try as hard as I can to remember to take plenty of pictures and do a full write up as if this all goes to plan I feel it will be one for the mods section.

If anyone wants any questions answered just let me know, I am guessing that no one else will be jumping into buying anything until I have found if this works but hey I don't mind blazing a trail.

Are the piston diameters similar Chris? It looks like for one side the pins should be 1 x 04952-02020 (a pair with boots by the looks), the bolts in the ends 2 x 90080-10180 and a rebuild kit 04479-02070, going from the Toyota EPC but no guaranteeing those are right :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That looks to be about right to me Jon. The pistons on the new caliper are slightly smaller I think about 3-5mm dia. It still fills the pad well so I would have thought it would be OK.

One thing that may need to be noted is that I do not have ABS. Not knowing how ABS works I do not know how this will affect others looking at this but I thought it worth a mantion.

ABS is normally run from a separate wheel speed sensor, they are rarely tied into the caliper so I doubt that will be a problem.

Second caliper arrived today, It was a bit dirtier than the first one I got but appears again to be in good working order. I gave them both a good clean-up.

2013-03-18165928_zps31a74384.jpg

It is quite nice working with stuff that hasn't seen quite as much abuse as whats on the truck. These are Alu calipers and there is hardly any pitting. The pistons are smooth and the rubber boots/seals are also in very good condition. The bleed nipples open and close freely enough as does the connection point to the brake lines, On both calipers the piston pushes out and retracts well and smoothly when the lever for the hadnbrake is pulled. It is worth noting however that they do not seem to operate quite as well when the caliper is totally void of fluid.

Steven asked if it may be possible to remove the cable assembly and rotate it through 180 degrees for easier access to the handbrake cable. Now although I think that this will not be necassary upon closer inspection I see no reason why this would not be possible. It all sits on a splined spindal so once off I can see no reason why it could not be rotated with no problems.

Had a bit of a stumbling block today as I have never had the pleasure of encountering calipers where you wind the piston back in. I am perfectly ok with the push in type we have but these had me stumped wondering why the piston wouldn't push back. Any way. Looked in good old machine mart but decided I really cannot justify 50 odd quid for a re-wind kit. So nipped down to my local garage and asked for a cheeky favour. They had not problem doing it for me and even let me watch how its done.

Just waiting on the passanger side rear cable now but I think i will get them on tomorrow and have a few days testing them to make sure they still work fine as normal brakes.

Its quite funny really I have never normally cleaned things as throughly as I do now that you lot are all scrutinising my handywork.lol

Tidy that bench up. It's a disgrace! I have a good mind to report you to the tool Police:law-policered:
Excellent work so far by the way.

Chris

Tidy that bench up. It's a disgrace! I have a good mind to report you to the tool Police:law-policered:

Chris

You have no idea mate. Why do you think all the pics are close up shots. I think I would be hung drawn and quartered if you saw the rest of the place.

Chris
You should see my workbench Chris, I kid you not the surface isn't visible.

I had a workbench once :think: it must be still in there somewhere , can't open the door though without having to spend 15 minutes cramming everything that falls out back inside so i can shut it again :oops:

New calipers are on now but we have hit a little snag (Could be a bigger problem for others). The new calipers fit really well with about 5mm clearance until that is you engage the foot brake. They are shaped to be thinner at the outer edge so when they move forward when the brake is engaged that catch on the alloy (Actually may not be a problem for you Steven as you have the narrower wheels and tyres???) Some wheel spacers will quickly solve this problem and when I get my -32 steels for my 35's I should think that the spacers would not be needed at all.

All that being said everything else seem to be working very well. on the foot brake the truck stops as well as it ever has, maybe a little better actually (but that may all be in my head).

Still haven't got the cabling sorted for the handbrake but I used some cable ties to pull the calipers on and try as we might my brother and I couldn't budge the thing an inch. Getting really excited now. I love it when a plan comes together.

Chris

Depending on where it's catching, nothing a little tweak with a grinder couldn't fix.

Thinking on it yeah why the hell not. I was worried about how thick the material would be before I would hit fluid but the "arms" will be solid won't they so as long as i don't go any thinner than bit a little further forward we should be all good

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

No fluid in the arms, just on the piston side. Grind away!

Shayne we've all been there. That's the X brake. It's what got the discussion started really.

X Eng have stopped making them due to problems encountered when fitting them.

Chris

Back