Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Handed Batteries or not - what's correct?

Cruiserdude

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi Guys,

Had a little starting issue yesterday and think I'm going to have to buy two new batteries so really just want to get the correct/best ones.

My existing batteries are handed left and right, which to be fair I can see are not original spec and perhaps a bit small because they are both elevated by a wooden plank. Judging by the cabling into the bays this looks correct but after making some enquiries I'm left confused. Two suppliers said the batteries should be handed, yet the main dealer said thet aren't, the positive terminal should be on the same (LH) side on each battery.

What have you guys got in your vehicles?

Thanks
Mark

Handed left and right I believe. Think mine are varta g7 and g8 off the top of my head. Not had any problems with them but been on less than a year.

mine are handed left and right and are a tight fit, the biggest battery that will physically fit in the space available, I know the part numbers are sequential, when I get a chance I will check mine later today and post the id numbers on mine.

Handed left and right. If you contact a battery supplier they will likely tell you what you need. I've got a pair of Bosch on mine.
S4 008 on the left (from driver's point of view) and S4 009 on the right. Been on about 18 months. So far so good.

Optima batteries have the terminals along the centre line so would fit either side if you wanted to go for them.

Last edited:
Handed left and right I believe. Think mine are varta g7 and g8 off the top of my head. Not had any problems with them but been on less than a year.

I'm with you on the Varta's Nick. Fit them to everything and they seem to give outstanding service.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+ another on the Varta's. Have them on the LC and the bikes. Great batteries. Sounds to me like your main dealer is getting the 80 series confused with some other LC variant as they're definitely handed left and right.

Sorry for simple question - what is a 'handed ' battery? Thanks

Sorry for simple question - what is a 'handed ' battery? Thanks
Left hand side or right hand side. Anything that is a mirror image of another is described as 'handed', such as a pair of semi detached houses that are a mirror image of each other down the party wall.

On my truck the positive battery terminal is the one closest the radiator and therefore obviously the negative terminal is closest to the body work and therefore the chance of making contact with a spanner is lessened.
I have a pair of cheap Banner batteries on my truck as I had both mine fail and got them as a cheap get me home option, 5 years and they are still going strong, drivers side is P9505 (right of truck) and passenger is P9504, they are 95Ah and 720A.

Sometimes the dealers do have competitive prices on batteries but they won't be up to new car spec. They used to offer original spec batteries and may still do but at starship cost.

Thanks Frank,

Surprisingly the dealership were offering two for £140 which I thought seemed ok I but they didn't know the brand, just that it was a 65Ah and 570 CCA. It seems most of you guys are using much higher Ah units which I thought would be better to get while I'm changing them.

Need 2 x 95Ah for my 24V 60. Currently not handed so have one +ve near the wing.
Its on the todo list to modify the wiring so I can swap it around

No Rich it was while fitting new terminal clamps that I realised the bridging cable was now too short as although the new batteries were handed correctly, the posts were at the front of the battery rather than the back so had to change one battery around.
Need to measure up and get the cables all made up or buy the right lengths premade.

No Rich it was while fitting new terminal clamps that I realised the bridging cable was now too short as although the new batteries were handed correctly, the posts were at the front of the battery rather than the back so had to change one battery around.
Need to measure up and get the cables all made up or buy the right lengths premade.
I might be able to help you there Ben. I've got short lengths of 35mm welding flexible. I can also crimp the ends on too. PM me if this is of interest.

Back