Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ80 1HD-T cruise control fault, cruise lamp 5 blinks

MikeW

Country Flag
australia
Hey, I'm new here, since learning more about my 92 1HD-T, messing around with it and going about 6 years with a cruise control system that only works some of the time - I've decided to hop onto a forum and try to figure it out (with help).

The fault occurs 90+% of the time I attempt to use cruise control, after which the ignition has to be turned off and on to make the fault go away and allow cruise to be turned on again (via the stalk) for another attempt.

The fault usually always occurs when triggering SET with the stalk, and very rarely while it is actually engaged/working and once working it typically continues to work for the duration of the trip. When it does fault, the CRUISE lamp on the dash blinks 5 times. If anyone has any idea what that code means - it would help a lot!

Cheers!

You need to read the codes. 5 blinks just tells you there's a fault.

Connect terminals 3 and 15 of the diagnostic check connector, and count the number, timing and and spacing of the cruise light flashing.

The light will flash the fault codes simply by pressing two buttons on the stalk, then up & down will tell you the codes. Simples but I've forgotten what the sequence is, google it.

Thanks guys!

I should have waited for responses before messing around with it - too late.

It turns out one of the feeds in the circuit to the cruise ECU wasn't powered (there are two, one through the ECU IG fuse from the ignition switch, and one directly from the ignition switch).. the one directly from the ignition switch was dead, I tried to bridge it to get power through, and then the ON position of the key in the barrel would cause the car to start, without disengaging the starter motor :O. So I quickly removed that hack, everything is fine, no blown fuses, except that the cruise ECU now seems completely dead - cruise lamp will not glow, nudda. :(

Silly me, but why would there be a two feeds of power into the cruise ECU with one that's dead?

I can post a picture of the circuit diagram if someone doesn't follow.

Cheers!

Back