Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HDJ80 - Winch Bumper

Grant, go onto their website and select gallery. Then go down to greenlaning section. There are some pics of an 80 with one on. Looks hideous if that is theirs.

Chris

Ahh no worries. Was just hopeful. as value wise they seem to be the best around. Ta for finding the pics ... kind of does look pretty hideous!

Sorry for the slight thread hijack there.

All contributions welcome. Good bumpers, cheap as possible is the aim.

Chris

The price of the IM bumber is less than the ARB one. What is the issue with it?

Lorin, not got any pictures as such. I have seen many fitted and just know they're good, tidy and up to the job. I would buy one pretty much on price, unseen, whereas anything else like a Freeway I'd quite like to see some better images of as I don't know them. I did look at the Iron Man one from West Coast, but frankly I have no desire to spend further money on that product given the appalling finish quality. 3 club ARBs should net us some discount, surely!

Chris

Iron Man, ARB, TBH or whatever,
I am sure they are made from the same steel in China.
just different designs, and different thickness.
But the important difference is the QA

Now where is my container.

Gra.

Last edited:
I looked at the Leyland fabs design. Politely put its just not my thing. Had a reply from TBR offering 10% off the list price on the ARB. That was for two though, so not sure if we could haggle a bit extra for ordering 3. Ram what are your thoughts re the ARB, are you still in the market for one? Delivery is also a bit of a kicker at £65 per bumper unless we could coordinate getting them delivered to one address. Maybe we could coordinate with Lincomb.....?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Quick update, I just spoke to Andrew at TBR. 10% discount is pretty much as far as he will go on discount although we may be able to squeeze a smidgeon more if we order 3 at the same time. If we do place an order there are 2 bumpers available for delivery around the end of March but the third isn't available unitl the end of June. Delivery is where we can save some more as the cost for delivery remains the same whether its 1 or 3 bumpers if it's to the same address. Delivery to my part of the country is around the £50 mark.

I'd pick it up. I have to go down that area, plus it's only an hour and a bit away. What you haven't said is how much is the bumper!

C

Lorin, it may be worth a call to Leyland and see if they can build exactly what you're after? They do look like a fabrication company after all and the price is definitely right.

Sorry Chris, quote for bumper with discount is £965.03. From what Andrew said the 10% discount is standard for club members so you'd get it if you just went ahead and bought yours. Collection would be fine as I wondered whether someone might be close enough. From order, collection would be possible within a couple of weeks as the bumpers have to be delivered to the UK from Germany.

Grant, I have thought about going down the fabrication route. I imagine if it were simply a case of Leyland modifying their existing bumper it would as you suggest likey be cheaper. But if getting one to my design I'd want a tube bumper which would mean starting from scratch and I'm just not sure I want the hassle when the ARB is an off the shelf option.

Good point it could be alot of hassle.Especially if ordered and then it didn't fit!

They do make tube bumper so my uninformed thought would be that they could adapt the mountings from those.

Dropped them an email to see. Also pointed them at this thread.

I'll be looking at getting something within the next 12 months as well.

Whilst still eye wateringly expensive for a bit of steel, it's actually less than I have thought it would be. I'd figured on the sort of £1200 mark. Which model is that Lorin - air bag or non air bag? My next one will have airbags I believe.

Chris

my farther inlaw ased about a arb in SA and that worked out to be £1800 wich i thought was a bit steep. i have one at home for a D22 navara if somebody was to play with a grinder and welder. i only want £250 for it.

Ok .. have had a few responses from them. See below. Sounds promising.

cleardot.gif

On 6 March 2013 15:42, leylandfabdesign
Yeah 550 without lights . We make bumpers to people designs and make the bumpers in 2 pieces so you bolt a cradle on to the vehicle 1St making our bumpers far easier to fit the a arb or iron man.
We also make rear bumpers , front skid plates and transmission guards

On 6 Mar 2013 15:36, "Grant
Thanks for the rapid response. Personally I won't be in the market for a winch bumper in the next 6 months but it is a topic that comes up on the land cruiser forum quite a lot!

Is the cost for this still around the £550 mark?

On 6 March 2013 15:27,
Hi grant
We can make all types of bumpers to fit the vehicles correctly so if your liking the design it can be made no problem
Regards Chris @ lfd Ltd
On 6 Mar 2013 15:01,
Hi,I'm just wondering if you can adapt your pajero style bumpers to fit on an 80? It might be worthwhile you taking a look at the following thread on the land cruiser forum

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/45930-HDJ80-Winch-Bumper

Thanks,
Grant

Chris I've been pricing for the non-airbag model. I just checked and the airbag one isn't specified on the TBR site. I'll make an enquiry and get back

Oh here we go... Hmm let me see, add 20%, divide by fiddle factor, simply add random profit.

Right, yours will be .. HOW MOOOOCH????

Ha ha. Thanks Lorin, hopefully not too much more.

I'll be going to the bad kissengen show in Germany at the end of may, they usually have all sorts of bumpers there, (that's where I got my freeways rear twin carrier one), ill have a look & see who's got what & prices, or failing that go yourself & drool over the hundreds & hundreds of overland vehicles camped there!

andy

Chris, it appears ARB never made an airbag compatible winch bar for the 80. However the consensus on ih8mud is that everything still works regardless. I even emailed Andrew at TBR and he checked the ARB catologue confirming it. It seems the 100 series was the first model on which ARB offered air bag specific bumpers.

Last edited:
Check your repair manual , its seems very likely to me the airbag trigger will be in the crush zone behind the bumper so only a significant impact activates them .

OEM bumpers are only designed to let you or someone else know you can't park any closer , they serve no purpose in a proper crash . An airbag shouldn't inflate unless you hit something so hard it might damage your radiator . So i'd guess an ARB bumper will just mean it would take a greater impact to set them off .

Last edited:
Back