Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamp "upgrade" to Angel Eye units

Now I would appreciate that Chris, was looking earlier at any way I might be able to edit it, but it seems not.It will probably be a while before they're fitted depending on how things go at work.... we'll see!

Thanks Chris, for "upgrading" the title :icon-rolleyes: :thumbup:

Clive, did the units come with bulbs or do you fit the originals? and have you got a link to the supplier?

Chas, I'm still investigating, but it seems that they're fitted with standard H1 bulbs, with a single filament bulb in each pod.

I was expecting a dip/main in the one and a single main in the other, but it looks like I'll have to deal with that aspect myself.

I will also investigate the use of HIDs or LEDs in them, because that's ultimately what I'm after. I need to see what's available. Maybe I will just go for Halogens, but at least I have a good unit as a base.

HIDs in my OEM units were far from satisfactory, bright but the beam was all over the place.

I'll get back to Shayne on the supplier, because I've forgotten which one we decided on. :icon-rolleyes:

Actually Clive I didn't. I went in to do it, bimbled around for a minute or two and left it as I had something that needed doing. Looks liek you another Angle looking over you shoulder. Drat I mean Anegl Anlge. Angel!

Lol I did it about 10 mins before you posted last night Chris. Takes a while to update for all I guess :)

Lol I did it about 10 mins before you posted last night Chris. Takes a while to update for all I guess :)

Thanks Gary (my Angle/Anegl/Angel) for your efforts, once accepted, the forum is untouchable by us mere mortals :lol:.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are the bulbs LED? There are some good LED replacements around now. I fitted a set in the high/low beam OE units and I'm well pleased with them. Not quite as bright as HID's but much better than the 'upgraded' H4 halogen filament bulbs I had in and the same beam pattern. I have HID's in the inboard high beam units and they're excellent, very bright and good beam pattern with no beam scatter unlike a HID H4 replacement kit I tried in the low beam units which were shite, verging on dangerous so never fitted them.

That's interesting to know TP, thanks. It may broaden my options.

As I said, with HIDs in the dip/main of the OEM units, a satisfactory beam has proved unattainable, and moreover downright dangerous for other road users IMO. It's not surprising they don't get approval.

What I wanted was some units to develop into something better than the OEM beams (if possible). These with the standard H1s may achieve that, but until they're on the truck, I won't know.

If I can experiment with halogen, then LED and maybe graduate to HID, then I have some options. HIDs are nice and bright, but one disadvantage they have is they run cold. In falling snow, it's a nightmare TBH, it just builds up on the lens and eventually you can't see anything. The headlamp washers wouldn't shift it, unless I can install a heat exchanger to produce a hot-wash. I'm working on one for the windscreen washers at present, so that would not be out of the question.

I know HIDs are available for H1 fitment, so there's a possibility. The availability of LED in H1 fitment is unknown to me at the moment.

Decisions, decisions...

Why is it that HID's tend to give a scattered beam?
When it is the reflector and ultimately the fluted glass lens which should dictate where the light goes. :confusion-confused:

Why is it that HID's tend to give a scattered beam? When it is the reflector and ultimately the fluted glass lens which should dictate where the light goes. :confusion-confused:

I'm not up on the technicalities here Chas, I'm afraid.

AFAIK, it's something to do with the design of the glass (the lens) where the fluting would be specifically different for an HID projector. Using HIDs in a unit designed for regular filament bulbs, the beam gets scattered all over the shop, quite a remarkable balls-up if you're unfortunate enough to be travelling towards someone with them fitted. I've conceded my error of judgment on that one, after meeting my friend driving my truck in the dark in the opposite direction while I was driving the little Dacia Stepway. It was scary :wtf:.

I don't know much about bulbs if it works and is legal it'll do me but could it be that some , I would assume the better ones , throw light back at the headlight reflector while others throw the beam sideways at the reflector ?

Any way here's the supplier and as you will see from the title they come with LED bulbs . A word of caution though these lights look good but personally I would wait to see what results Clive has before ordering my own if that was my intention .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-DUAL-...id=100033&rk=4&rkt=4&mehot=ag&sd=231457880921

Yes, I was intending to see Clive's results first, the P&P on those lights is a bit expensive. :icon-eek:

That's why I don't have a set Chas but Clive was happy with the price and on reflection I have to wonder what I would pay for a set if I seen them on a shelf at halfrauds .

Thanks Shayne :thumbup:

BTW the LED reference is for the fancy "Angel-Eye" feature which is not essential, just gives a more "modern" appearance when on side-lights.

The bulbs that come with the kit are H1 standard bulbs (not sure of the rating yet, but probably 55W for the dip and 65W for the main). These can be replaced with any H1 compatible halogen or LED bulb or HID projector.

Thanks Shayne :thumbup:

BTW the LED reference is for the fancy "Angel-Eye" feature which is not essential, just gives a more "modern" appearance when on side-lights.

The bulbs that come with the kit are H1 standard bulbs (not sure of the rating yet, but probably 55W for the dip and 65W for the main). These can be replaced with any H1 compatible halogen or LED bulb or HID projector.

They'll be OK for you of course (I presume you drive on the wrong side of the road) but are they adjustable for dip direction?

They'll be OK for you of course (I presume you drive on the wrong side of the road) but are they adjustable for dip direction?

No Chas, we drive on the Right side of the road, you guys drive on the left, remember? :lol:

When you order, you specify LHD or RHD, they're not interchangeable AFAIK.

Beam direction is adjustable, but it would only be for fine tuning I imagine.

Why is it that HID's tend to give a scattered beam?
When it is the reflector and ultimately the fluted glass lens which should dictate where the light goes. :confusion-confused:

The problem with retro fitting HID kits into OE lamp units, particularly dual beam units using H4 bulbs, is the light source from the bulb is in a slightly different place relative to the reflector and glass lens, compared to that from a halogen filament bulb. This means the light hits the reflector and hence the lens at a different angle causing unwanted dispersion of the beam. Have a close look at a H4 bulb and you'll see a small internal reflector in the bulb itself, then compare this to a HID bulb and you'll see what I mean. The dual beam LED bulbs I fitted are constructed in such a way that the light source mimics that from a H4 bulb.

Headlamp "upgrade" to Angel Eye units

Are these the Crazy the God ones on fleabay, interested to see how this turns out, not interested in the black version???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are these the Crazy the God ones on fleabay, interested to see how this turns out, not interested in the black version??? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they are but some I've seen are dull prices. It may be that the expensive ones come with HID power packs, because I will have to get them separately if I go for HIDs at all.

Might try the LEDs after seeing what the standard bulbs look like as a benchmark.

Looking good Clive.
I've got the black version of those on my 80. ..... I've used the corner (side lights) as the main indicator and the LED angel eye rings as the side lights....
was all good at the mot time just gone.

Looking good Clive. I've got the black version of those on my 80. ..... I've used the corner (side lights) as the main indicator and the LED angel eye rings as the side lights.... was all good at the mot time just gone.

Hi Carl, using the side light as an indicator is something I'm considering, interesting that you've done the same. I'm not sure the change will go down with the tester here, they stick mainly to homologated systems (the book) rather than having a practical approach, but what the heck, it's just another bung here (beer tokens) anyway!

There's some good coloured LED bulbs around these days that can go in the side lights to give me the yellow/orange.

I was tempted with the black, but I thought they may look a bit severe. I'm a bit old fashioned, white should be white, red should be red, you know how boring us traditionalists can be :icon-rolleyes:

All a matter of decisions so far, at this rate it will be ages before they get onto the truck. :think:

Back