Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help! - Engine light just come on

Aha, now I understand (I think !), it might be OBDII compliant but the protocol can be what is not recognised.

Just a thought, if you have breakdown cover you can get them to read code and see what your up against?
Only saying as I work as a breakdown tech and regularly read fault codes for members who then go to garage armed with the fault already found, depends on what the tech has at his disposal regards diagnostics wether he could read code, I'm supplied with rubbish kit but carry my own diagnostics that can read most stuff out there

Sorry, I'm not always getting email notifications. Sorry for not replying.

Thanks to everyone for there input, much appreciated.

Since my 1st request for HELP, the lights not come back on.

Should I still got to Toyota and get it checked? I have a booking for this Thursday. Will the report show if there has been any recent errors?

Thanks.

G.

Sorry, I'm not always getting email notifications. Sorry for not replying.

Thanks to everyone for there input, much appreciated.

Since my 1st request for HELP, the lights not come back on.

Should I still got to Toyota and get it checked? I have a booking for this Thursday. Will the report show if there has been any recent errors?

Thanks.

G.

Personally, I think a Toyota dealer is an expensive way to get the codes read. You could buy a cable and software for your laptop for 20 quid and then read them as many times as you want. The codes will be in the history on the ECU. Or if your car is new enough and standard OBDII protocols work, a reader is about £10 and you use a free app for your phone to see the codes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Personally, I think a Toyota dealer is an expensive way to get the codes read. You could buy a cable and software for your laptop for 20 quid and then read them as many times as you want. The codes will be in the history on the ECU. Or if your car is new enough and standard OBDII protocols work, a reader is about £10 and you use a free app for your phone to see the codes.

Your right I should do this.

I be grateful if you give me links to what I need to purchase. Mine is a LC4 120 2005.

I'll cancel my booking at Toyota.

Many thanks

Gary

Your right I should do this.

I be grateful if you give me links to what I need to purchase. Mine is a LC4 120 2005.

I'll cancel my booking at Toyota.

Many thanks

Gary

2005 might work with generic OBDII, but it might not. Mine doesn't. But Techstream will work, and will do lots of stuff OBDII won't if you are doing stuff like changing injectors and want to test for fuel leaks. I had mine from this seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-VCI-...164503?hash=item33bae90157:g:0IwAAOSwkl5XffvS

And very usefully he says he now has drivers for 64 bit Windows which will save a lot of messing about if you don't have an old XP machine to put it on, which I didn't.

2005 might work with generic OBDII, but it might not. Mine doesn't. But Techstream will work, and will do lots of stuff OBDII won't if you are doing stuff like changing injectors and want to test for fuel leaks. I had mine from this seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-VCI-...164503?hash=item33bae90157:g:0IwAAOSwkl5XffvS

And very usefully he says he now has drivers for 64 bit Windows which will save a lot of messing about if you don't have an old XP machine to put it on, which I didn't.

thanks, placed order, will let you know how I get on.

regards

Gary

Great that you're having a go yourself Gary. I look forward to hearing how things progress.

HI

So the light came back on this morning. Went to a local garage, when I went to move the car, the light had gone off. Told the guy in the garage that it had gone off, he said there is no point in testing it if the light had gone off. So I'm none the wiser :(

G.

Somebody else will have more knowledge on this, but when you get the gizmo that Rob put you on to up and running, it should show you stored fault codes, so even if the fault is intermittent, hopefully it will have been picked up.

Just because your CEL is off doesn't mean there won't be any stored codes. Get yourself a Techstream compliant code reader and see what stored codes there are.

Intermittent issues could be anything.

HI

Finally got the software up and running. The engine light came on again today. 1st time in a week.

error.PNG

This is the error that was showing.

This is probably a dum question, but if the fuel pump had a fault, would the car stop running?

If anyone could shed some light on the above, I be grateful.

Regards

Gary

Did you run a check on the ECUs? Did it throw any codes beginning with P? 78 points at the fuel pump, but I would expect a longer number before that also. I could be looking in the wrong place but I can't see a diagnostic code in the workshop manual for just 78 or 78(8).

For example P1229/78 would point at a stuck SCV valve, which is an easy fix, although the valves are a hundred and a bit quid.

Last edited:
HI

Finally got the software up and running. The engine light came on again today. 1st time in a week.

View attachment 110470

This is the error that was showing.

This is probably a dum question, but if the fuel pump had a fault, would the car stop running?

If anyone could shed some light on the above, I be grateful.

Regards

Gary

Hi

I just did a quick test this evening, let me have more of a play tomorrow and I'll get back to you.

Is there any settings I should check on the software setup, to make sure I'm getting the correct data?>

Thanks for your help.

G.

Hi

I just did a quick test this evening, let me have more of a play tomorrow and I'll get back to you.

Is there any settings I should check on the software setup, to make sure I'm getting the correct data?>

Thanks for your help.

G.

Not much to set on the software. There's a drop down list when you connect shows what look like date ranges. I don't know what these are for and it's never made any difference when I've tried different setting.

Unfortunately I can't see the screens without connecting to the car, and I'm not with the car today. From memory the ECU checks are from a button on the left hand menu when you log in. You get asked which ECUs you want to read. Just read them all.

Back