Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HELP!! Impromptu trip to France this weekend. Camping spots

Lund

Country Flag
norway
Was just invited down to Bergerac to see friends of ours and I've managed to book ferry Pompey to Cherbourg Sunday 31'st with return on the 7'th. (bloody lots of people escaping south this week!)

So rather than hanging with all the brexit chavs on the usual camp sites, we'd like to find more rustic and out of the way spots (wild camping?) along the route.

Plan is to hit Cherbourg @ 15:30 and follow the coast to St. Malo - Nantes - Bordeaux - Bergerac and spend a couple of days exploring the region, Mandi is desperate for some stinky cheese in Rocheford..

Haven't even thought about the return yet..

Any suggestions to where we can park up with the RTT and burn some meat in a stunning scenery along the way? Would be great to be able to toss the little one in some sort of water that is not chlorinated :)

Wooooop!

Hi Chris, I have this app installed on my ipad : http://www.park4night.com/
it gives a map with places to stay for the night. From small spots along a little road to the regular campsites. The website gives the possibility to download the places in one file.
good luck
wout

What a great link wout! Thanks for that - I am going to be keeping that one :)
Lund, if your passing call in for a beer/bbq - (evenings as we have to earn a living!)

We stayed at Campsite Des Chevrets near St Malo, but off season so it was quite.
by a really nice beach

And this summer, stayed at this nice small rustic site, run by a Dutch couple

Campsite Chez Gendron
2 chez Jandron
33820 Saint-Palais
France

But its not far from Bordeaux so probably no use for you

Chris, if you get the chance, check out the Bassin d'Arcachon and Cap Ferret area. The Bassin has flat safe sandy beaches and it's a really lovely holiday area. Rich mans playground around Arcachon and oyster shacks towards Cap Ferret. Also south of Arcachon by a few miles, Les Sables d'Olonne, massive sand dunes that are engulfing the coast.

All this is west of Bordeaux.

Wout, that link is great, many thanks! I've already downloaded and upgraded the subscription as there is a massive amount of info accessible offline. Awesome!

Steve, I have never turned down a beer and a braai mate, I might just take you up on that! Appreciate the hospitality!

Andy, Des Chevrets looks great, I'm including it in the trip, cheers :)

Rich, Oysters, now we are talking!! Apparently there are oyster farms all along the west coast, La Rochelle is in the plan as well.

Anyone been to Coulon?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry Chris, me 'n' oysters don't go. Major oyster area for sure and that area is great with loads of things to do on the way in. Have a great time anyway.

Arrived in Pressyac last night, really nice drive down here. found a gorgeous wild camping site overlooking Mont Sait-Michel, a rustic camp site at Il del-Re (**) .. Photos later as the pool is calling :)

Arrived in Pressyac last night, really nice drive down here. found a gorgeous wild camping site overlooking Mont Sait-Michel, a rustic camp site at Il del-Re (**) .. Photos later as the pool is calling :)
Photos…mmmm yes please! :)

Back