Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help, I've done the unthinkable

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
I have been driving around in the Petrol cruiser for 2 weeks now and just filled up again with Petrol. The good news is having brimmed the truck I've worked out my fuel consumption is 13.18 mpg with 60% stop start and 40% motorway... Happy with that .

So having driven home, missus tells me the 100 needs fuel, so off I go to the gas station. Filled up and then drove home. After 1 mile the engine cut out.

Checked my fuel receipt... yes you guessed it.

90 litres of PETROL in my Diesel 100.:icon-eek:

So I intend to drain the tank, replace fuel filter and flush with diesel.

What else do I need to do chaps!

Anyone been such a buffoon and had this done?

Thats it. Just make sure you drain the lines aswell. When I did recovery work, that is all we would do. Just turn it over untill it starts, it will smoke a little but will clear. You can use the mixed fuel at about 5-10l at a time in the 80 series if you wish.

Edit to add, change or empty the filter aswell.

Last edited:
Done it before but not with a LC, make sure you drain out every drop before you try to start it. That includes pump etc.

Never drove one till it stopped though.

Don't feel bad about it though, its very easily done if your used to one or the other. I always have to be careful with hire cars because they are usually petrol.

I believe it's worse the other way around. Feel for you though......
If anything it'll be the pump that takes the brunt of it.
Am presuming it's not common-rail - as I don't know much about 100's.
IIRC there was a thread here about filters inside DERV pumps - have a looksee about - may have been Shayne or Beau - I'd be inclined to do them as a matter of course.
Others with far more knowledge than me will be along asap surely (unless you sell the motor to me quickly as a non-runner lolololol)

Wasn't me Beau is the resident diesel pump expert i'm just a novice trying to learn more . I would agree with Jonny though petrol is thinner than diesel so should pass through filter etc much easier , personally i would just drain it then pour a can of diesel in and drain it again .

Last edited:
I know guys on the biodiesel forums who add petrol to winterise their fuel. But these guys tend to be the ones driving old bangers! My guess is that the 100 series (assuming that it's the Denso fly-by wire DI), is a pretty fussy bit of kit.

As said, i'd try to get it all out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bugger. Apparently, this happens about 450 times per day in the UK - so the bloke told me who drained MY tank. Petrol in yer old oil burner isn't the end of the world and in fact gives it bit of a clean out. The military put petrol in their derv during the winter.
Modern common rail diesels don't fare so will I hear and yes, diesel in the petrol is a tad more serious.

I wouldn't worry about changing the filter - if it were mine. The filter won't be blocked with anything. Petrol will pass through that just like diesel will. I'd open the tap underneath and let that drain out. It will be a bit smoky for a time. Any petrol in there will mix into the diesel pretty quickly.

No damage done.

Most of my family run bio but not in anything less than 10 years old , it buggered my uncles new shape Hilux double cab too many sensors to worry about . Not that i think you will have problems as a result of a one off mistake just a word of caution for others that may be thinking of going bio .

Last edited:
We see loads at work, common rail diesel pumps can be easily damaged, petrol doesn't lubricate the pump and causes damage.
As per others, drain it, clear lines etc best you can and refill with diesel. Use the petrol in the 80.

13.18 mpg isn't too bad, what miles did you get?

13.18 mpg isn't too bad, what miles did you get?

Used 80 litres for 232 miles. Assuming the tank holds 95L, then when the reserve light comes on I've got 15 litres left... or being anal, 43.5 miles before I run out.

As above, I brimmed my diesel 80 with 75 liters of petrol and that came to a sudden halt miles from anywhere on a snowy night. I phoned a friend (well he used to be!) and he came out to me with 20 liters of diesel. We drained the tank into the verge (what to do when you have nothing to catch it in) and bled the diesel through by loosening the banjos on the injectors. We hand pumped it first and then cranked it through. It started rough at first, but was soon on all 6 to take us home. No new filter, nothing. Job done, just a few quid out of pocket.

Bloody embarrassing though! :lol:

By the way, if you want to "winterize" diesel, my advice would be to use paraffin. Diesels run well on the stuff and between 20 and 30% mix will stop gelling down to about -30C. If you're worried about the lack of lubrication this may cause, then add some 2 stroke oil (T2).

It's what they put into cold climate exports' at the green oval plant, they used to call it Fuscius.

It's illegal mind, because it's not taxed, a bit like putting red diesel in your tank, but there's no stain in paraffin that would lead to an easy prosecution. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Oops, sorry no words of wisdom for you....

swap your diesel 100 for a petrol version, that'll stop it happening again :whistle:

Well personally I think it serves you right for being so greedy and owning that many cruisers...

Well personally I think it serves you right for being so greedy and owning that many cruisers...

I think you've got me confused with a certain Potato farmer!

Anyway, tank emptied, new fuel filter, flushed system with diesel and bingo. Sounded like a bag of spanners for about a minute, copious amounts of blue smoke, then sweet as thereafter.

I hope no lasting damage done.

Don't see how people are charged unto £700 for this service!

Who would do such a daft thing??? Well most of us if we are honest. After my second little error over the years (driving 4 assorted motors) I finally put a bright red "DIESEL " sticker inside the filler flap....ok so far................

Glad you got it sorted Laz, what you do with the fuel that came out?

Never done to my own motor.... did tank a brand new Beemer with wrong fuel few years back lol. Realised before started it so pulled pump fuse and called the boss!!

Back