Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

hj60 springs

walesdale

Supporter
Country Flag
wales
hello people,i just fitted a set of standerd milner springs and shocks all round on my 60 and its awful
its bouncing around everywhere , even with the tyre pressures down to 18 psi (31/10.5/15)
does anyone know where i can get a nice set of springs that ride nice,thanks

Dale,

I'm no expert on this but from what I've read new leaf springs aways feel hard for a while and soften up after some use.

Hope this helps and look forward to see if you get any more information as I put a question asking what others had used and what is good still waiting for a reply on that.

Mike.

Dale,

I'm no expert on this but from what I've read new leaf springs aways feel hard for a while and soften up after some use.

Hope this helps and look forward to see if you get any more information as I put a question asking what others had used and what is good still waiting for a reply on that.

Mike.

cheers mike,ive about 1000 mile in it and it still wont give in,,thanks

OME are pretty much a copy of the original design which is the best design for a 60 but expensive. Best ride can be achieved with a set of original springs,taken apart and each leaf shotblasted and painted. The top two leaves taken to a spring manufacturer and re tempered with a 1" re arch. With a flap wheel smooth any wear ridges out. Replace all the teflon cushions at the end of most leaves (still available from Toyota) and re assemble. The spring will pretty much resemble a new one. Original dampers are ok but Bilstien give a great ride with springs done up as above. Use original Toyota rubber bushes as they also give a better ride than poly bushes.

hope this helps.

Andy

Tony said you were the man to ask !!!

Can you also lift on original springs? Iknow it is possible just wondering how they perform.

Mike.

Milner springs were made in Hell by the devil's blacksmith himself, guaranteed to be a back breaker on every speed bump. If you look at the design you can see they just won't work like an OEM does.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks andy
Id like to catch hold of the devils blacksmith and take him for aride

I forgot to ask andy, does the bilstiens give a hard ride..? Thanks

Sorry with the late reply Dale, Bilsteins give a great ride with good condition springs, no dampers will give a good ride with poor springs. Ask Tim here on the forum what is the ride quality on his full OME setup.

Andy

Will do.tim if ur reading this.let me know.cheers

Have some experience with springs but am no expert.
My preference with a 60 series is not comfort but strength. Looking for a nice ride buy an 80 with coil springs.
Leaf suspension means handling won't be great.
Original six leaf suspension is too weak. Will sag when fully loaded, even worse for expedition.
My buddy put in an OME medium suspension, surprisingly comfy ride, but also too weak.
We've reformed and retempered old leaves but much prefer new steel.

Or add at least two leaves, for the use we intend which means the roughest hardest offroad. In Sahara and elsewhere.
I learn from the touareg 20100117844.jpg
Or Moroccan military IMG_0161.jpg
They can go anywhere.
But maybe there's no need for 11 or 14 leaves; I've seen newer cruisers with only six but much stronger leaves.
For comfort, adding coils or coil conversion is probably a good idea. I haven't tried it yet.
HJ61 coil susp.JPG

I've seen parabolic springs on a 40 series, maybe they are the answer as they combine strength with lightness and a good ride, anyone know if they are available for a 60?

Andy

The guys at L&L land cruisers in the netherlands have a set of 60 series parabolic springs for a 60 series on a pallet outside. I saw them when I was there over the new year. I have also seen them on 60's with SOA conversions in the USA (best country in the world!) They're around Andy

Hey Priffe, diggin the 14 leaf rear springs you have there¬! I think I'm going to add a few more to mine now!

Tony said you were the man to ask !!!

Can you also lift on original springs? Iknow it is possible just wondering how they perform.

Mike.

I know this is an old post The HJ60 G series have Highway springs specially designed for comfortable rides on the tar to lift a little and get more strength get a spare set of springs and rob the longest leaf and add it to your spring set each side this gives a better carrying capacity and also maintains the smooth ride and also get the springs reset at the same time and you'll have nice springs till the cows come home. Rubber are the best shackle bushes the eurthane don't last long at all few thousand K the rubber 100,000k I fitted rubber in mine in 2004 and their still good.

I've got OME heavy duty and they ride suprisingly well (As Andy Loamas will testify having had a ride in me truck! They don't like the british weather much and aren't cheap, but they do seem pretty good and offer good articulation
flex max 2.jpg
flex max.jpg

I know this is an old post The HJ60 G series have Highway springs specially designed for comfortable rides on the tar to lift a little and get more strength get a spare set of springs and rob the longest leaf and add it to your spring set each side this gives a better carrying capacity and also maintains the smooth ride and also get the springs reset at the same time and you'll have nice springs till the cows come home. Rubber are the best shackle bushes the eurthane don't last long at all few thousand K the rubber 100,000k I fitted rubber in mine in 2004 and their still good.

I agree, the rubber bushes are by far the best.

I've got OME heavy duty and they ride suprisingly well (As Andy Loamas will testify having had a ride in me truck! They don't like the british weather much and aren't cheap, but they do seem pretty good and offer good articulationView attachment 133858 View attachment 133859

Yep for a 60 yours does ride very well, that said it must weigh in considerably more than standard which helps.

I agree, the rubber bushes are by far the best.

Yep for a 60 yours does ride very well, that said it must weigh in considerably more than standard which helps.
lol, only a little ;o) the HD springs are intended to have a permanent load of about 200Kg I think, from memory, which on the rear I probably don't have normally, certainly when I dropped in to see you I didn't have that much on board. It did worry me that I hadn't bedded them in properly because your supposed to carry a bit of weight when their new, which I didn't, but they don't seem to have suffered. The fronts are fairly loaded because of the winch and winch bar. I reckon for the Italy trip I just did I was total weight of well over 3 tons so yes, it did ride nice!! I reckon the rear dropped about 2 inches when fully loaded!!

OME are pretty much a copy of the original design which is the best design for a 60 but expensive. Best ride can be achieved with a set of original springs,taken apart and each leaf shotblasted and painted. The top two leaves taken to a spring manufacturer and re tempered with a 1" re arch. With a flap wheel smooth any wear ridges out. Replace all the teflon cushions at the end of most leaves (still available from Toyota) and re assemble. The spring will pretty much resemble a new one. Original dampers are ok but Bilstien give a great ride with springs done up as above. Use original Toyota rubber bushes as they also give a better ride than poly bushes.

hope this helps.

Andy

My suggestion, I use Kayaba single action shocks both front and rear. They do very well when you travel overland. You can download the catalog on this URL, http://www.technical-touch.com/downloads

https://www.kyb.com/catalog/

Moggy, which shocks did you fit with the ome springs?

I’m looking to upgrade suspension soon having thought long and hard about it.
Have decided that it will remain a standard vehicle so no extra weight at all unless a weekend camping trip is arranged.
So want to fit soft springs and shocks. The ome set up is appealing. The new nitrocharger shocks sound good too

Ben, by "upgrade" do you mean replace? You won't get a "wonder " ride with OME as they are a copy of the OEM ones.
The only upgrade for a better ride would be 2 leaf parabolics
I've had all the dampers you can think of on 60's, Rancho, OME, Bilstein, Koni, DeCobain and standard. With good standard springs I like Bilstein's and DeCobain but they are all decent.

Back