Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

hj60 springs

Yes Andy. Have had an email back from ARB recommending their up to 50kg springs front and light duty at the rear. Unfortunately their new adjustable BP51 shocks are not suitable for the 60 but the nitrocharger sport shocks are apparently ideal.
I have decided to take the plunge and start saving. An advantage of a single brand for me is being able to compare heavy vs light duty and even changing the rear springs if necessary if a long trip should be arranged with a heavy load. (Or get an 80 for that!)
Anyway, 95% of use is just driving accross dartmoor to work and back so thats what I want to spec it for.

Yes Andy. Have had an email back from ARB recommending their up to 50kg springs front and light duty at the rear. Unfortunately their new adjustable BP51 shocks are not suitable for the 60 but the nitrocharger sport shocks are apparently ideal.
I have decided to take the plunge and start saving. An advantage of a single brand for me is being able to compare heavy vs light duty and even changing the rear springs if necessary if a long trip should be arranged with a heavy load. (Or get an 80 for that!)
Anyway, 95% of use is just driving accross dartmoor to work and back so thats what I want to spec it for.
I watched Andrew St Pierre Whites landcruiser build and he used those BP51 shocks, they do ook the bollocks, shame they don't do them for the 60. I'll have to have a look under mine to see what it's running, I can't remember!

Yes thats where i got the idea from on the BP51’s.
I have just ordered 4 Nitrocharger Sport shocks. But will have to save up and sell anything i can to afford the springs before easter!!
So i will have to suffer the bouncing for another couple of months.
I will get a 50mm lift with the springs which will be nice. Will need to check if any pipework will need extending. Front seems ok, not sure about the back yet

Yes thats where i got the idea from on the BP51’s.
I have just ordered 4 Nitrocharger Sport shocks. But will have to save up and sell anything i can to afford the springs before easter!!
So i will have to suffer the bouncing for another couple of months.
I will get a 50mm lift with the springs which will be nice. Will need to check if any pipework will need extending. Front seems ok, not sure about the back yet
the OME set up I have lifts 50mm and everything was fine except the anti roll bars

What happened with the anti roll bars? Did you need longer drop links?

Want to fit greasable shackles / pins.
Are these ok with the OEM rubber bushes does anyone know?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
removed the rear one, the front one was just catching slightly so a bit of angle grinder action sorted that out

OME recommend anti inversion shachkles, although I don't have them and so far it hasn't been a problem

They mentioned those anti inversion shackles but if you have greasable shackles instead then they arent mandatory.
I will be using Toyota rubber bushes and geasable shackles when the springs get installed

They mentioned those anti inversion shackles but if you have greasable shackles instead then they arent mandatory.
I will be using Toyota rubber bushes and geasable shackles when the springs get installed

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the rubber bushes will work as they should if you grease them. Also the grease will have an adverse affect on the composition of the rubber. The greasable shackles are designed to be used with poly bushes.
As I see it you fit rubber bushes dry with all the shackles loose. Then lower the truck to the ground and then tighten the shackles so the bushes are in an unstrained situation. This way the bush will flex within itself but nothing moves surface to surface. This is probably why the original bushes last a long long time.
The are also softer than polybushes giving a more cushioned ride.

The anti inversion shackles might be some use if you are serious rock crawling but otherwise unnecessary.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Thanks Andy, this was the info I was looking for. Oi I am definite about rubber bushes as poly dont last. So these need to be either standard shackles or anti inversion and standard pins but no grease.
This should also be cheaper too!!

12 new rubber bushes ordered from Simon Holton part number is T90389-180002.

Hello,
Interesting topic. Ben When you have it I would appreciate some comments.
I put the Ironman LC60 on and it's a torture. I've removed a sheet and it's still very hard. It is very painfull for your neck.
What shackles are you going to put on? I have the Roadsafe 4WD-extended Anti-inversion shackles and I'm not very comfortable either.

Hello,
Interesting topic. Ben When you have it I would appreciate some comments.
I put the Ironman LC60 on and it's a torture. I've removed a sheet and it's still very hard. It is very painfull for your neck.
What shackles are you going to put on? I have the Roadsafe 4WD-extended Anti-inversion shackles and I'm not very comfortable either.
Best using original gear as its designed to give a smooth ride and also go places and the flex is needed you could always add a leaf to your original springs. I have a HJ60 "G" series the "G" means its a highway version toyota think about comfort as well as durability after market springs can ruin a car if you haven't tried some one elses first. One other thing these heavy duty springs are bad for the spine and can do damage if you want a softer ride you can drop your trye pressure to 28 but check it regularly I've had my HJ60 19 years now and I would never put aftermarket springs on it unless there was nothing else left and I would probably just buy a new car rather than wasting money on springs that have been using steriods.

Yep rubber will last over 100k urethane will last 5,000 if your lucky urethane also stretches and doesn't return that memory sales talk is rubbish it also acts like a bungie cord where as rubber cushions the shock only.

Very happy with my ome hd springs (apart from the price!!), even running empty. Didn’t bother with the anti inversion shackles and no problems. Had a set of Milner springs that were shite, lasted 1 trip

Very happy with my ome hd springs (apart from the price!!), even running empty. Didn’t bother with the anti inversion shackles and no problems. Had a set of Milner springs that were shite, lasted 1 trip
Yep rubber will last over 100k urethane will last 5,000 if your lucky urethane also stretches and doesn't return that memory sales talk is rubbish it also acts like a bungie cord where as rubber cushions the shock only.
All the research I read pointed towards rubber. More compliant and they fail gradually whereas poly just break and fall out. I do carry poly in my spares kit in case I have a failure out in the boonies as they are easier to fit.

Back