Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Houston I think I have a problem!

Julian

Well I need a little advice/help please
Ok as part of my front axle re-furb I was having a look at my stub axles and cleaning them up.
I have some wear marks where the wheel bearings fit, on closer inspection when I fit the bearing races and grip hold of the needles and turn it the inner race turns freely, is that right? Or are my stub axles worn?
Thanks in advance people

The inner race shouldn't spin on the stub axles however it may appear that they are when not tightened up.

Which bearing are you having problems with, the inner or outer one?

Traditionally the wear would on the top of the stub axle for the inner bearing and the bottom of the stub axle for the outer bearings.

WOuld it be possible to post pics of the wear points?

All 4 seem to do the same!
The Inners have a worn a small lip on the stub axle, both sides
I should add this is a dry run in that I am mounting the bearings directly on the stub without the hub
When sliding the inner bearing on to axle it starts up the tapper and then seems to clear and drops into position easily, does that sound right or have I described it badly
Sorry didn't take any pics, do'h

The inner races should be a snug fit with no play. If you can see / feel a lip then that doesn't sound good. Problems like that normaly come from the bearings not having enough pre-load assuming they haven't failed and siezed. Did you check for play before you took the wheels off and could you feel any?

I had a bit of play in both wheels, and discovered one pair of hub nuts where pretty loose
The inners are a snug fit and I can't feel play, the outers do have play

In case I wasn't clear, I meant the inner race of the bearings should be a snug fit, not just the inner bearings ...

As JV said a picture would help but if the bearing is a snug fit almost all the way and then seems to go on a bit easier, which I think is what you're describing, then no that's not how it should be :( On a brand spanking new one it can even take a bit more force than you'd probably expect to get them seated all the way on ... Hard to say if you can get away with some bearing lock or not. On my 80 I had a worn stub axle from spinning bearings at one time and with bearing lock it still destroyed bearings quite quickly till I replaced the stub axle because they were not aligned quite right :(

JV will have much more experience of dealing with this though I should think.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon, thats exactly what I was trying to describe re putting on the bearings
I was thinking of putting a vernier across it tomorrow

After measuring and talking to Julian consensus is to put it all back together and make sure wheel bearings are done properly
Thanks for the advice

Back