Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I found hell....

Sure is, always something different to see, every time you go when you get out of town. Perfick !!

Im local and avoid the NC500 now it’s tourist and midges season !
Stunning pics folks,
When I climbed Ben Nevis 30 yrs ago, we went via the carn mor dearg arête - much quieter !
I would hate it going up the main tourist path with crowds

Was up a Scottish Munro on my eMTB today near Braemar had the summit to myself , and empty trail on my fast ride down

Wales was not busy at all this week but the drive back over Chester and Manchester on a Friday before a bank holiday was not pretty.

I can remember midges one year as a child in a caravan somewhere near fort William. Thankfully didn't have a problem with them this year. 1st little.mosquito things insae were at the campsite in nairne, they came out the trees, went for my legs, didn't like "smidge" and buggered off, good stuff. Then the 3 nights at cannich there were these tiny little things they were very annoying so I just went to bed when they came out. One of the last photos I took in Glencoe (maybe) I pulled over, there was a couple with a VW bus making breakfast with mozzy nets on and a smoky thing. I jumped out to take amy picture and promptly got atracked by ten thousand midges gave them the rest of my smidge as they'd run out.hopped back in the car and carried on :)
20210826_082056.jpg
20210826_082101.jpg

Im local and avoid the NC500 now it’s tourist and midges season !
Stunning pics folks,
When I climbed Ben Nevis 30 yrs ago, we went via the carn mor dearg arête - much quieter !
I would hate it going up the main tourist path with crowds

Was up a Scottish Munro on my eMTB today near Braemar had the summit to myself , and empty trail on my fast ride down

I've been up Ben Lomond several times in the last 15years or so and it's going the same way, very busy on the main "tourist" path to the top. The alternative route up Ptarmigan Ridge used to be the quieter option but even that gets quite busy now. Boo!

I've only been up Ben Nevis once and it was pretty busy given the conditions...

Attachments

• No 3 gully buttress.jpg
    No 3 gully buttress.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 33
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just got back last night. Fab trip, but some repairs to do to the bike trailer. Someone had used glue instead of weld I fear. Nearly lost a bike on a corner when one of the so called welds snapped. Brilliant weather, barely any traffic but the midges were biting like little bitey f****ers

I'm glad you had a good time Chris - the NC500 is on my list of things to do but really once you are north of Glasgow, it's a struggle to find a poor biking road. We were in the Outer Hebrides over the summer (with our RIB rather than a bike) and after fearing it was going to be over run, it was OK. Usually there are a lot of mainland Europe visitors and they were almost entirely absent but had been replaced by UK visitors, some of whom were obviously not used to being in the sticks and were irked at not being able to being able to buy a cafelattechino at a moment's notice.

The Outer Hebrides tends to have a breeze most of the time so midges are less of an issue but when they appear we resort to midge nets.

Back