Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I need new rear springs

Looking good Chris! :clap:

If you wernt so far away you could have come and tried my 35"s or even the 37"s. :icon-wink:

If your in the market for big aggressive tyres and dont want to buy brand new, they come up fairly regularly in the classifieds section of the Devon 4x4 forum. Some real bargains can be had. :thumbup:

I'm loving it Chris :clap: I must get outside and measure up mine. I'd like to see your with a couple of hundred kilos in the boot, but otherwise looks great :icon-biggrin:
Cheers Steven, Would be nice to compare the 2 now.

What I love is the fact that we are no longer tied to Ironman or OME as options for lifting our Collies :icon-biggrin:
I quite agree, once for a split second, in a moment of utter madness I did almost but not really consider an LR90. This was purely on the basis that there is soooo much out there for them. Soooooooo Glad I went for an LC though...I love my truck.

Looking good Chris! :clap:

If you wernt so far away you could have come and tried my 35"s or even the 37"s. :icon-wink:

If your in the market for big aggressive tyres and dont want to buy brand new, they come up fairly regularly in the classifieds section of the Devon 4x4 forum. Some real bargains can be had. :thumbup:

Cheers Ben, Glad you are liking the progress. Roughly where abouts are you mate??? Would love to see her with 37's on but that would first of all involve building a new garage. The 31's are really starting to look like shopping trolly wheels now.

I don't mind splashing out for new tyres but what I don't want to do is splash out on some 35's or even 37's to find out that there is no hope in hell of ever getting them on the truck so need to do a test run first.

Put a little fold down table on the inside of the back door today. Frankly its cr@p but I am running out of time and work is piling up before the weekend but it will do to burn me sausages on. might stick a pic up tomorrow.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by AndyCook
offside front: 30.5cm (after lift = 39cm)
nearside front: 32.5cm (after lift = 39cm)
offside rear: 30cm (after lift = 36cm)
nearside rear: 31cm (after lift = 36cm)

These have been measured from top of wheel rim so if you add 20.3cm it should give the distance from wheel center.

That being said

My measurements are

offside front: 50.3cm (after lift = 61.5cm) Gained 11.2cm (4.4")
nearside front: 52.8cm (after lift = 61.5cm) Gained 8.7cm (3.4")
offside rear: 50.3cm (after lift = 63.5cm) Gained 13.2cm (5.2")
nearside rear: 51.3cm (after lift = 63.5cm) Gained 12.2cm (4.8")

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, I've yielded. B springs on their way from WestCoast, will be swapping them over for the C's this weekend.

Would that be a hint that you may be planning this mod Steven??? Or are you suggesting I get some shiny new ones???
I'm still very undecided about the 80 series front spring suspension modification for Fiery :think: I was surfing eBay, as you do & happened to stumbled over them :whistle: I thought that they seemed to be a very reasonable price considering that I've been quoted £150 + VAT & postage for a set of 'C' rated Ironman springs. The thing to consider with regards to using a brand new set of springs for this is that they will not have sagged in any way and will probably give more of a lift than you've got with the second hand ones until they've bedded in.

I measured from the bottom of Fiery's plastic arch body molding to the center of each of the rear wheels yesterday and it was 54cm. This is 10cm less than your reporting for the lift that you've got from the 80 springs that you've just fitted, but Fiery is still fully loaded from my last laning expo and probably has 180Kg in the boot!!! I also know that I loose 4cm in height between being loaded and unloaded so my unloaded measurement would be about 58cm. This is still a little short of what you now have with yours Chris, but I'm not convinced that I'm wanting as much as you've achieved with the 80 springs. When you made your measurement did the truck have very much load in the boot Chris?

I was in a car park yesterday & spied a Black 02 D4d 95 series in standard form. I had a tape measure with me so went over to it had a look in the back, it was empty with no load apart from a spade a rug and an umbrella, the lift measured 54cm.

All this said I don't really have any trouble with mine off road in her current set up fully loaded. I get good articulation with no rubbing except from the rear tyres in only the most extream circumstances and she drives and handles as well as one could expect from such a vehicle with the rear ARB removed :icon-biggrin:

I'm thinking now that having typed all of this out that I may get a set of 80 springs and trim some of the coil length out to give me around the 58cm lift with my everyday 80Kg load, this would then give me around the 56/57cm lift when fully loaded and at the same time fit a couple of the smallest ring spacers to the front struts just to compensate for the addition of the winch and tray (45Kg). The front measures the same as the rear when loaded, 54cm.

Anyone know what the thinnest spacer is you can get for the front struts and what kind of up lift one gets from one?

Who was it that just fitted some 'C' rated Ironman springs to their truck? Did they post what lift they got from them?

EDIT;

Lol :lol:
Well, I've yielded. B springs on their way from WestCoast, will be swapping them over for the C's this weekend.
I think I know the answer to part of my last question :icon-smile: Doodle, how much lift did the 'C' springs give you? It'll be interesting to see the difference in lift between the 'C' springs and the 'B' springs. Your in an excellent position to answer an unanswered question that many 90/95 series owners have in their heads I'm sure :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Steven

All my truck had in the back when I took the measurement was my"empty" Boxes so what does a 8x4 sheet of OSB weigh???

I can honestly say that I am very happy with the way she rides and looks now. I have done about 400 miles with the new set up and she feels well planted and as sure footed as ever.

The front spring I got off J66P are a little hard but I think once I get my steel bumper sorted and there is a little more weight over the front axle It will all be good.

I am getting a very small amount of bump steer but I am pretty sure that is due to the amount of lift at the front throwing the castor out...How much should I be paying for wheel alignment???

When the wife gets home steven I will get her to go and sit in the boot and re-measure her hmm hmm hmm kg frame plus all the swag I have got in there from working out of town this week should give me there or there abouts 80kg. If that helps.

Either IM or OME do 5mm trim packers for the front, not sure which one does them. IIRC IM only do the 15mm ones. This may be total rubbish but its what I remember from reading other threads.

I'll make sure to get some new measurements over the weekend. I've been happy with the amount of the lift so far, the car is sat relatively level but the back end just crashes and skips over bumps rather than dealing with them.

All my truck had in the back when I took the measurement was my"empty" Boxes so what does a 8x4 sheet of OSB weigh???
12mm sheet is 24Kg and an 18mm sheet is 34Kg :icon-biggrin:

I am getting a very small amount of bump steer but I am pretty sure that is due to the amount of lift at the front throwing the castor out...How much should I be paying for wheel alignment???
The Hunter Lazer tracker near to me charge about £50 :icon-biggrin:

When the wife gets home steven I will get her to go and sit in the boot and re-measure her hmm hmm hmm kg frame plus all the swag I have got in there from working out of town this week should give me there or there abouts 80kg. If that helps.
Lol you do make me laugh :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: But yes that would be very interesting, maybe you could get a photo for me :icon-biggrin:

Either IM or OME do 5mm trim packers for the front, not sure which one does them. IIRC IM only do the 15mm ones. This may be total rubbish but its what I remember from reading other threads.
Interesting, I shall have a dig about :thumbup:

I'll make sure to get some new measurements over the weekend. I've been happy with the amount of the lift so far, the car is sat relatively level but the back end just crashes and skips over bumps rather than dealing with them.
That's great, it would very interesting to see what the difference is if any. Maybe you could try running about with some weight in the boot to see if this holds the back end down a bit with the 'C' springs in. Need to get along to Wicks and buy 6/8 bags of ballast, take them for a drive around the block a couple of times, then back for a refund :icon-biggrin:

Tried that already - 3 LC wheels and tyres in the boot helped a little bit but not enough. To give you an idea 140kg (i.e. me) in the boot gave about 1-1.5" of static sag.

For someone with more weight on board they'd probably be ok but most of the time I'm running unloaded, maybe 30-50kg max.

i paid £20 an adjustment, somehow I ended up paying £50, must have been what I offered him when he told me how much it was

This is a fade in/out between Stevens Firey as standard with 31's on and mine as it stands now.

The Hunter Lazer tracker near to me charge about £50 :icon-biggrin:

Christ they are asking about £130 round here. Time for a trip to York or Donny me thinks.

Last edited:
See 38.5 Super swamper tires on a 90 here -

http://forumflc.clubeflc.com/index.php?topic=1850.75

Totally Beautiful. But unfortunately I do not have the funds or the skills needed for a SAS, As much as I would love one.

Ben has asked me in the past why not get a 70. The answer to that is I love the 90. IMH(umble)O it is the best looking LC (apart from the 40) and I wouldn't want to lane with a LWB truck, I think the 90's are just so nimble off the tarmac.

Don't get me wrong if the money would allow I would have an 80/100 tomorrow but it would be my DD, Pimped out, tinted windows 24" chromes, low profile tyres, body kit, massive sound system tv's the works. then maybe another 80/100 as an over-lander.

I am pretty sure that there are alot of people on here that will not agree with my likes and wants but hey they are mine.

Oh and a pristine 40 as a show car, and and a 50 just to say I've got one. oh and maybe a 70 pickup for when I need to cart mucky stuff around. Then an Fj for when I fancy a run over to Saudi. Then a 60 so I can fight like the Japanese. The list is endless............

Right, springs are swapped, test driven and measurements taken.

The first thing to note is that the C springs are considerably heavier than the B, just over 2kg per spring (increase of 40%). They're also about an inch or so shorter.

However, the final ride height seems to be pretty much the same, both are giving a 40mm increase over stock.

Back