Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I need new rear springs

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Well after 2 years it would seem that my Iron Man Rear springs have collapsed. Totally. The bottom 2 coils are touching when at rest. So I am looking for something new.

So I was thinking of getting some 80 Front springs to stick on the back. IIRC I read somewhere that 80 springs fit well on the back with extended shocks. I have the extended shocks so I am hopeful that this may be a good way to go.

Any advice guy, Need to sort ASAP as got a nice 500 mile laning trip next w/end.

Cheers
Chris

What have you done to collapse them in 2 years?

Gra.

AFAIK Nothing at all overly strenious. Dont even carry anything particularly heavy.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I would be seriously asking for money back from Iron man.

Did you have them fitted, any receipt?

Gra.

My trucks 15 years old and still on the original springs . Get on the phone to Ironman - if i was them i would send a private jet to get your truck sorted asap because nobody in their right mind buys springs with a 2 year lifespan !

What spec springs did you fit Chris?

I have the 'B' spec Ironman springs fitted on Fiery and they are OK, but I'd like something with just a little bit more strength for when I'm fully loaded. When I'm away for a weekends fun I chuck about 200Kg of kit in the back and she sits just a little lower at the back than the front. When she's unloaded she just about sits how I like my trucks to sit when loaded. That is just a little higher at the rear than the front. She's still absolutely fine off road and I'm very happy to jump in and head off for a weekends lanes as she is, but it would be a nice luxury to have some slightly heavier duty rear springs in her, just to please my own personal preference.

I did contact West Coast some time back about buying a pair of 'C' rated Ironman springs for her, but they had no stock at that time and said they would contact me when they came in. They took my details and number, but never got back to me! Something they've done before and not only to me, but others as I understand also.

I did start a topic on it that a few replied too, it may be worth a read for you.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...rate-my-B-spec-Ironman-rear-springs-to-C-spec

Something that I've been toying with for a long time now is up-rating my 'B' spec (+25%load) Ironman rear springs to 'C' spec (+30%load) ones

While I had all of my shelving unit and off-road paraphernalia out of the vehicle in pursuit of the illusive off-side reversing light wiring viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13340 I had a chance to take a reference point measurement from the ground to the vehicle. Then once it was all loaded back in I took a second measurement. She'd dropped 17mm!!!! When you consider this is just the shelving unit and what I carry day to day in the back of the truck before I chuck in all of my camping gear, stoves, food, spares, Hi-Lift etc for a weekend away it seems a lot of clearance to sacrifice to me. The total weight of what I put back in came to just under 80Kg (I weighed it all as I put it all back in last night, the shelving unit is about 30Kg). There must be another 80/100Kg of other kit when she's loaded for a weekend away on top of this 80Kg!

It's not so much that she dosn't handle well even with all of the additional kit in. I've been to Wales, Shropshire, Lincomb and much local laning without to many problems. It's more to do with the way that she sits, with nowt in she sits as I'd like to see her sit with the 80Kgs of my everyday gear in the back (back end slightly higher than the front end), not a lot just enough to look right. Becoming more level with the extra load in. At present she ends up with her back end lower than the front end when fully loaded for a weekend away Not sure how the new springs will work out Got plenty of time to ponder though as I spoke to Paul today from WestCoast and he want have any 'C' spec rear springs in untill March So popped my name down for a pair as soon as they land

I'll let you know how I get on with them once they're fitted

I can't believe that that was almost exactly a year ago :shock: My springs can't be all that bad then :think: :icon-biggrin:

Its still a mod I'd like to try though :icon-biggrin:

Why don't you measure yours up and I'll do the same on mine (trucks I'm talking about :icon-biggrin: :icon-wink:) and we can compare and contrast, although mine is currently still fully loaded from my last trip away.

I'm interested in finding out more about your readings of using 80 springs. If you go ahead with this please take lots of before and after measurements and report your findings.

As others have said it does seem a little off that your just two year old springs have collapsed to the extent that you indicate! How does she sit?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not really read much Steven TBH Its more just a couple of small comments of the odd thread.

I have been in touch with Mr Webster and he is sending me out a pair of 80 front springs on monday so will get them on the truck at the weekend and see how she is. I will try very hard to remember to take lots of pics and measurements.

Thanks for all your comments re. getting in touch with IM. I will be getting in touch as soon as I can but I am pretty sure they are either going to do nothing at all or if they do I doubt anything will be sorted for my trip. (I don't have Ben's Energy to swap out springs the night before a trip lol).

I have Nissan Patrol plus 2's (Belton Offroad) under the rear of mine

Well, they've definitely had some 'C' springs in recently, I had a pair delivered last week as part of my new suspension kit.

I have Nissan Patrol plus 2's (Belton Offroad) under the rear of mine
That's interesting, how do you find the results of fitting the Patrol springs?

Well, they've definitely had some 'C' springs in recently, I had a pair delivered last week as part of my new suspension kit.
Maybe I shall wait to see how you find yours to be ;) Others have fitted 'C' rated springs but then removed them later, may be able to buy yours for a reduced amount ;) :)

I measure mine from a fixed reference point on the truck, but this point is not transferable to other trucks. When loaded with the shelving unit and the every day items that I carry (approximately 80Kg) she drops about 17mm and then when loaded for a trip she drops another 24mm (a total of 41mm). We need to find a common fixed reference point that we can measure to compare set ups that works between 90's and 95's with or without body plastic :think: Maybe the bottom of the roof gutter edge to the top outer edge of a standard 16" alloy :think: If I get a chance tomorrow I shall throw the trolley jack under mine and jack her up till I get my own Zero line reference point and find a common point that we can all measure from to compare and contrast. It would be good to get an idea of what yours is like compared to mine Chris, It would also be good to see what your 'C' rated springs give you Doodle :icon-biggrin:

They went on last weekend but still need time to bed in. I've only driven it around this weekend (including a little altercation with a C-class due to the driver trying to force into a non-existent gap), so going to run it to work a few times this week by which time it should be fully settled, and then put the winch and other bits on which should weight the front down a bit more.

There's more info on my garage thread.

Last edited:
I have a pair 80 series Ironman B front springs that need a new home. Rusty but still work. PM with offer if interested.

Interesting :think: I may be interested, but the 80 series front springs on the rear of a 90 is all new to me and this is this first I've read of it. What kind of use have they had Rob?

Well looks like I may be breaking the mold on this one as far as this club goes. I will let you all know how it goes as soon as I can. Weather and work permitting there may be a chance of getting them on before the weekend and I will report back ASAP.

What spec springs did you fit Chris?

I have the 'B' spec Ironman springs fitted on Fiery and they are OK,
but I'd like something with just a little bit more strength for when I'm fully loaded.
When I'm away for a weekends fun I chuck about 200Kg of kit in the back and she sits just a little lower at the back than the front.

I did contact West Coast some time back about buying a pair of 'C' rated Ironman springs for her,
West Coast originally fitted 4 x "C" spec springs to my LC120.
They were very hard, very uncomfortable, 200kg will make no difference at all to fitted "C" springs.
From my opinion the drive feeling when the "C" springs were in my LC, well,,,,you would need triple your 200kg to get any sort of cushion from the springs, may be even more !
Probably better with 800kg in the back or 1000kg, I kid you not, "C" springs were very hard.

After 2 weeks, I returned to West Coast, and without any cost, they swapped the "C" spring out and fitted "B" springs.
I am forever happy the "B" springs went in.
With the "B" springs, the ride is firmer than the standard Toyota springs, that's for sure !, but not devastatingly hard like "C" springs.
I have had the back really loaded, towed caravan all over Europe, and no way would I have "C" springs.

Gra.

Just be careful if you do decide to put "C" springs on, they are like riding on the steel rims, with no rubber tyre.

I can only assume there are different "aimpoints" between the 90 and 120 springs then. The C's I have fitted are nowhere near that bad - me climbing into the load area generates a reasonable suspension movement.

Steve, they have had a hard life but only for about 20k miles. Reason I got rid of them is because the front shocks had failed and they were under sprung for the weight I have on the front so got a complete new OME kit. Paint is pealing like on any other Ironman front spring, but I see no reason why you can't try it out on your 90 for the cost of postage and then pay me for the coils if you are if you keep them on. New +100kg front OME coils were longer then the used Ironman ones so may have crept, but if you are considering standard front 80 springs these will certainly take more weight.

I am considering selling the rear coils separately as they are in excellent condition.

It's a very tempting offer Rob :icon-biggrin: I did have a quick surf of the net last night on the matter and found a sticky on PradoPoint listing ways to lift a 90/95 and the 80 springs on the rear got a mention, suggesting a lift of 3" :shock: It didn't go into any detail with regards to whether or not this lift would be achieved from a new set of springs or a worn set. There was another thread I stumbled over by a chap saying that 80 front springs in the rear of 90/95 was the only way to go, but didn't offer up any detailed information apart from this comment. For me the fact that your springs are well used is a plus point I think :think: As a 3" lift at the rear would be the last thing that I'd want! I'm conscious that Chris is the man that's really in need here, but if he's not interested in your springs then I may give them a go in the interest of giving them a go. I'll have another quick look around the net on the subject to see if I can dig anything else up on the mod, but at the rate Chris is working on his truck at the mo hell have the springs that Karl's sending him fitted and we will have a definitive answer :icon-biggrin:

Back