Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector Swap

I followed Bailey's pictures, but I used the workshop manual for torque. And reused the bolts. I remember that 13Nm being awkward because I think it's 17mm and I didn't have a 17mm 1/4" drive socket for my smallest torque wrench that went that low.

Broken bolts are common in my past experience. Most likely the broken bit will be lose as the torque on it has gone. Just a matter of getting it moving. If you can cut a slot in it a screw driver will remove it.

I've just ordered some new bolts, I think the guy said they were £2 something plus vat each . New steal pipes were £56 plus vat each so I haven't ordered them as I will give the old pipes another go when I change my injectors.

We're good again.

IMG_20220503_183953.jpg

Combination of the red split screwdriver thing which got it so far until it became tight, then the dowel got it most of the way until the 7mm socket and a magnet got it the rest of the way.

I'm calling Toyota tomorrow for new bolts.

I've just ordered some new bolts, I think the guy said they were £2 something plus vat each . New steal pipes were £56 plus vat each so I haven't ordered them as I will give the old pipes another go when I change my injectors.
£56 for fuel pipes? Where from?

Ace! glad you got it out. I've ordered my bolts through Jacksons here on the Isle of Man, they are the Toyota dealers over here.
I thought I'd ask about the pipes and thought if they were 150 I would have thrown the boat out and got some but at 56 plus vat each they can keep them and I'll try my old ones first.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ace! glad you got it out. I've ordered my bolts through Jacksons here on the Isle of Man, they are the Toyota dealers over here.
I thought I'd ask about the pipes and thought if they were 150 I would have thrown the boat out and got some but at 56 plus vat each they can keep them and I'll try my old ones first.
Well, that's a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Managed to get 10 minutes to call Toyota this morning.

4 new stretch bolts ordered, and the paranoia got the better of me (as well as apparently there being an upgraded part for the injectors) I bought 4 injector screws as well. £39 for that.

Part numbers:
23679-30020 - Injector screw (x4) - They are 17mm on the car at present, I think these new ones are now 12mm so that they don't foul the gasket
90105-08374 - Stretch bolts for injector clamps (x4) - We all know why

Available Saturday, but I'm at a wedding, so getting them next week.

At the risk of getting shot, remember I thought the head would be coming out anyway.

So that dowel was the one I used for cleaning the injector seats. So that's why I had them, and they were 14mm. Couldn't find any 15mm!

Now I'm struggling to get that bolt off. The screwdriver tool thing with the magnet only does so much, the bolt got to a point where it wouldn't move anymore. There was tension on it even then (so I'm guessing the thread must be contaminated) and there wasn't enough room to get needle nose pliers down or anything like that.

So then I see the dowel after a good 20 minutes of trying to convince that bolt to move. And I think, why not. I get it, and I put it down and push down on it so that it grips the bit of the bolt that's broken. That digs in to the dowel, and I start to twist listening out for any snapping of the dowel. It got most of the way out until I think that if the bolt comes out it could roll back in to the head. Which I want to avoid. At that point I then get the 7mm socket on the screwdriver and the magnet, which is just enough to grip it and it takes it out for about the last 5% of the way I think.

That's how I used the dowel. There is some fibres (and I mean some fibres, no massive splinters and there isn't a fat lot there either really, barely noticeable) on that hole now. I've left it as is until I go to clean it again, at which point I'm not going to spray stuff on to it as it'll just spread it. I'm just going to collect the crud around that hole before I have at it.

I am concerned now that the guy at Jacksons has ordered some random bolts for me since you have said your bolts are £39 and injector screws, my bolts were going to be £2 something each +vat, hmm weird I thought the sounded a bit cheap.
what are injector screws?

I am concerned now that the guy at Jacksons has ordered some random bolts for me since you have said your bolts are £39 and injector screws, my bolts were going to be £2 something each +vat, hmm weird I thought the sounded a bit cheap.
what are injector screws?

double check with the part numbers above if they’re right or not. If they’re only £2 each no one has lost out if they’re wrong.

The injector screws are the bolts that connect the fuel return rail to the other side of the injectors. They go straight in to them. They’re on the opposite side to the fuel line.

Edit: sorry just re-read your post. It’s £39 for the 4 bolts and 4 injector screws.

Last edited:
Scored the bolts and the washers that go with them £19 something for 4+4, they look about right, I haven't checked the part numbers as I don't have the receipt at hand. New injectors from Toyota were going to be £300 and something +vat, so I'm sending mine away to get checked and then possibly rebuilt. I think my injectors are pretty basic compared to the later ones.

An update.

I dropped the sump pan, and the pick up was clean. The pan itself was also clean. So the sludge seems to have been localised to the top of the engine, which would make me think it was the beginning of the sludge being created by the faulty injector. Managed to snap a bolt from the sump, only one, so fuck my life and Toyota bolts. All of them are tight, I’ve not torqued them, because I can live with one bolt broken but two or three? Nah mate.

I got the new stretch bolts and fuel return screws, which have a 12mm head instead of 17mm. I’m not going to lie, I took a can of compressed air and carb cleaner and the area was all spotless. I put the bolts in finger tight then took my new Halfrauds torque wrench to it. By the 3rd bolt I think I was having the beginning of a panic attack - not exaggerating- but the bolts got tightened to 22Nm, screws to 16nm and 12.5nm.

Had a look at the rocker cover, and the chamber where the breather goes in to was full of muck - a considerable amount. So took it all apart and spent a lot of time agitating it with petrol and carb cleaner and a brush. All good, bit of RTV on it (as it had some anyway) and it’s on the engine now.

Fuel pipes were fitted, in my haste to take them off I removed the fuel in line which was a pig to do. Ended up removing it altogether and refitting it as otherwise the line wouldn’t fit on to the rail. All lines tightened on the rail and on the injectors, everything bolted down… I misplaced the clamp holding the lines to the EGR. It was cracked anyway, but I need to get one now.

So yeah, a better day, but still going to be waiting on some bits before it progresses.

I’m assuming I can program injectors and do fuel pressure tests without the engine running?

Should really add photos.

So here's the sump pan and pick up:
IMG_20220514_130712545.jpg

IMG_20220514_132416531_HDR.jpg

Here are the injectors, with their clamps etc:
IMG_20220514_154021563_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220514_154017596_HDR.jpg

Then the rocker cover:
IMG_20220514_160137034_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220514_160140550_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220514_160144419_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220514_160147869.jpg

Finally, the missing clamp (but it's bollocksed anyway):
IMG_20220514_180202934_HDR.jpg

I’m assuming I can program injectors and do fuel pressure tests without the engine running?

Well done!!!! Great progress there!

I'd think you'd have to run the engine for proper fuel pressure tests, I think the high pressure pump spins with the engine?

You might be able to put the compensation codes in for the injectors without it running though, but why dont you want to start it?

Well done!!!! Great progress there!

I'd think you'd have to run the engine for proper fuel pressure tests, I think the high pressure pump spins with the engine?

You might be able to put the compensation codes in for the injectors without it running though, but why dont you want to start it?
Cheers, nothing bloody straight forward with it though.

I've no oil in the engine! When I took the oil out the sump plug fell in to the bucket, which is fine. I emptied the oil today in to a container so I can bring it to the dump, and as I poured it I heard something heavy drop in to the container. It wasn't the plug, but the washer. So I can put the plug back to the sump but without a washer, which won't work. So I thought if I'm going to wait for a washer I could at least test the fuel lines before everything goes back.

As an aside, is there a hand pump on these Land Cruisers for when you run out of diesel? Not that I plan to, but it occurred to me today that if I did I should pump it?

Back