Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inverter fitted


Well-Known Member
Apr 16, 2010
Country Flag
Well - fitted my inverter into boot of landcruiser yesterday.
wired it up with a 100amp MEGA fuse in the wiring line (next to battery).
currently wired up to a 2nd battery (from a subaru) in engine comparment.
I also pinched a 12v accessory plug, which was taken from the boot of the subaru forester i am dismantling.
and wired that into the + and - 've feed coming from 2nd battery to inverter, so that i have a 12v outlet running from the 2nd battery in the boot (to complement the factory fitted 12v socket in boot wired to main battery)

next need to fit the ebay bargain: sterling diode to link the batterys for charging.
and I will probably also replace the "subaru" 2nd battery with one same rating as main starter battery

another project is to make a boot storage system, so that my recovery gear is in drawers, rather than behind seats.
so the inverter will probably get remounted onto wooden board panel when i get round to making that



  • inverter.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 100
Nice one! I'm going to wait until I have my split charge system and fappin' huge battery in before wiring mine up. In amongst all the other jobs I want to do it could be a while yet :|
Does any one know if its necessary to fit a circuit breaker on the 240v supply? the manual says that it is needed and it seems a bit OTT IMO, i may be wrong as im not an electrician
When they are used in the Virgin vans they use a circuit breaker, looked the same as the one you would find in a house. Put in line between the inverter and the plug socket. I was maybe going to buy one of the 2 gang types and cut the plug of the end and wire it into the inverter.
I have a couple RCD's around the house, the type that plug into the wall socket, then you plug the appliance into them. so will sling one in the landcruiser.

i looked at waterproof 2-gang RCD sockets on web, but they cost £60......
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul. I have an inline rcd of sorts. It has wires already connected which let you fit any plug and socket to it. We have them at work hard wired into our appliances in the kitchen. I travel to Segensworth through Park Gate/Sarisbury Green every day. If you want to meet up you can see if its any use to you.
:shock: :shock: Chaps, an RCD and a circuit breaker (miniature circuit breaker or MCB) to which you refer are two distinctly different types of breaker. An RCD will only protect against earth leakage current but an MCB will protect the wiring against short circuits or overload. Remember you also have a small fuse in the plugtop. If there is no 'in built' protection in the inverter, then you really should be using proper circuit protection; a combined MCB/RCD (commonly referred to as an RCBO) will give you the best protection. If you are not sure about their selection and installation then get somone qualified to help and/or advise. Don't muck about if you're not sure. It is mains 230V electricilty you are dealing with and it kills you just as dead as the stuff at home. :shock: :shock:
Do you have any examples you can post on here?
You seemed to know what you were on about with the old electricity stuff.
Any recommendations on the RCBO front?
Paul said:
You seemed to know what you were on about with the old electricity stuff.
Any recommendations on the RCBO front?

Ah yes. Only qualified for 20 years in July....

Try this for a typical example. It will also need a small enclosure with DIN rail in it to mount the device. There are many manufacturers. In UK most common are MK Electric, Square D, Legrand and MEM probably. Each manufacturer has their own solution. Depending on the inverter you are probably looking at a 6A/30mA version which will trip at 30mA earth leakage (like a domestic one) and will allow a current of 6A to flow which is about 1300W at 230V.
Ok here is the diagram:

we need a 30mA earth leakage switch then

EDIT: so thats just an RCD, looks like the inverter takes care of the MCB internally (i hope i get it the right way round)
I'd be surprised if the inverter hadn't some form of current load protection. Not totally clear that but yes, looks like only a 30mA RCD will do the trick. I'd even hazard a guess that a 'plug in' type RCD will be OK. Just don't get a cheap piece of crap from Argos or B&Q. You're best to use the portable socket type that's shown in the first photo use a 3C 1.5mm2 flex; then your plug-in RCD can plug in to that. And make sure your plug feeding your TV or whatever has the right fuse in it.

And don't connect the car body to any safety earth of the inverter system. Remember it's already connected to 0V DC on the battery....
found the right bit in the manual:
The inverter is protected against overload and short
circuit, so it is not necessary to install a fuse in the
output of the inverter.
For safe installation it is necessary to:
• connect the earth (PE) and neutral (N) of the
inverter output to the central ground;
• insert a RCCB (earth leakage) switch of 30mA in
the inverter output.
Are these good enough NC? RS online

They are all rated at 30mA and go off at 30ms. I cant really tell much difference between these and the cheap Argos/B&Q ones apart from the fact that these are more expensive and list some extra specs.
Probably OK. Generally speaking you get what you pay for with these things, within reason. If it's more expensive then it is likely because the components used to make it are better quality and longterm more reliable. 30mA with a trip time of 30ms is fine. Personally I try to steer clear of the 'Made in China' stuff where possible (and not easy to do) for several reasons, not least of which it is often because the quality is naff as manufacturers use China as a cheap cost base.
Looks like I may need to modify my wiring then...

I did connect the Earth on the unit to the vehicle body - oopss

the quote above:
"connect the earth (PE) and neutral (N) of the
inverter output to the central ground"

so N and Earth are connected then ?
but the "ground" is not then connected to the vehicle body?

Bit like my generator wiring system control box, which I have yet got an electricial to install in the house, but i noted the E and N are connected on that for the output.