Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ironman vs. OME (Old Man Emu) suspension kits?

I personally don't have any concerns with the suspension, I use the nitro shock on my 70 series witch it just an off-road toy that's gets punished to within an inch of its life and I've not had any failures, it always dose what I ask of it and what I want from it

i use the foam cell on my 100 witch has been used as my daily driver, camping trips and green lanes, had no issues on road or off road

I used john's car in Morocco on the foam cell, again had no issues, car handles spot on when empty and fully loaded,and as far as I know john has had no issues to date,no failures nothing worn out and that car gets used a lot more than most

I will be fitting the foam cell pro to my new 80 series when I come back from California, I look forward to testing them out, they have many new features so it will be interesting, we have only heard positive feed back on this new product, the vehicles I have driven with it fitted felt bang on

I would fit a kit tomorrow and drive any where without concern

That's not that tall. I'm on 35s and this is a 4" kit (supposedly)

P1010724.JPG

285s are only going to be 32's

Correct Chris it's not that tall, it's only a 2" lift in the photo, I Carn't recall witch brand was removed

Last edited:
Indeed. If that's a 6" lift then mine must be 12.

And it's not.

Tricky thing this suspension lark. If you don't want lift but you don't want your truck to sag the only way to do it is to have std length springs that are virtually solid. So you generally end up with a lifted set so that they compress back down to where you want them. There's probably few people in the world that could calculate that precisely. So following what others have fitted is probably the easiest way for most.

But there is one thing that no one has mentioned so far and that is to fit air helpers. Personally I think it's a hideous idea but it's reckoned to work really well and isn't very expensive. If you don't want much lift, but want to carry more than normal weight, it could be an answer. When unloaded, deflating the bags would give a nice daily drive.

Most of the talk seems to be about dampers so far, but for me, getting the spring rate right is the first thing. Then match the dampers to the springs and load. In that respect I guess adjustable rate damper are cool, but so many people seem to set them once and then never touch them again.

Funny Chris, I had considered these air helper springs but have no experience of them personally. Having had an RR Classic and RR Sport both with air suspension, I know it is a real weak link in an overlanding vehicle - however, using them as only a helper spring makes some sense, and you're not 100% reliant on them (providing you don't massively overload the vehicle).

This would certainly give me the ride comfort I am looking for on-road in daily use, whilst maintaining the ride height when I add the RTT and other weight for overland use.

There's chap online called Matt Savage or sells them in the UK: http://www.mattsavage.co.uk/acatalog/Air-Helper-Kit-AL008.html

Matt is just round the corner from me and Milners. He's very good. And just as I posted last night there is a thread about air helpers!

They aren't a weak link Mike, I don't necessarily agree with that. They are well made and up to the job. I just see them as a cheat in a way. But of all the people who have them, I've never heard a bad thing said.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a heavy LC which when full laden, 280l diesel, 120l water, fully packed, accurate on weighbridge, 2.5T over rear axle. 1.5 T over front.

Have 700kg rear springs and 400kg fronts. 6" lift, and air helpers. I use the air helpers when fully fuelled and off road, as they do make a vast difference, particularly on bad two spoor thick sand roads, where you cannot exceed 25kph because of the undulations and the pitching and rolling of the truck.

Running 700kg springs unloaded is not nice, so I also use them to "soften" the ride when completely empty. I also adjust the shock rebound which is invaluable IMO.

Oh one other very valuable use... when stopped and in the RTT the bags can be inflated to counteract any rocking of the truck and makes it much more stable whilst up high.

A cheat... :confusion-shrug:. It certainly makes our lives much more comfortable and gives us more choice and options.

Sorry, I meant full air suspension (e.g. Discovery 2 rear, Discovery 3/4 and RR/RR Sport all round) are a weak link, because you are reliant on the airbags staying inflated. One little leak in one airbag, airline or compressor seal and the compressor will be overworked, overheat and die. In fact, the D2 pictured did just that on our Morocco trip!

IMG_2684.JPG

With regards to air helper springs, I don't see these as a weak link or a cheat at all; they are just that, a helper, and I actually think this will allow me to perfectly tune the ride height of the vehicle and allow me to use a slightly softer rear spring to improve ride quality. So I could use a 200kg rear spring (rather than the 350-400kg I would otherwise need) which would be great in day to day use, and with the addition of air helper springs also be perfectly suitable for Overlanding - perfect!

Still need to decide on suspension springs, of course...EFS still my preference, with IM foam cell shocks...

Last edited:
I wouldn't draw too many comparisons with the Disco and LC air suspension. the Disco stuff is notorious for issues. When I got my 120 with rear air suspension I was pretty worried by in all the years Mr T has utilised it I'm only aware of one reported problem - that was in Oz where a particularly badly placed sharp tree branch managed to unseat and puncture a bag. The owner admitted he was going a bit fast on a bad road :)

Maybe not the solution for a heavy burden carrying 80 but never gave me hassles even when loaded for a long trip in the 120 on all sorts of terrain.

Only thing that ever seemed to give issues were the ride height sensors - and that was infrequent too.

Interesting. Just had a quote from West Coast for the Foam Cell Pro stuff and it's £18 less than OME and £96 more than EFS. Really???? Can't find any decent reviews on this stuff either as yet.

Interesting. Just had a quote from West Coast for the Foam Cell Pro stuff and it's £18 less than OME and £96 more than EFS. Really???? Can't find any decent reviews on this stuff either as yet.

What were they quoting on, full kit or just shocks? I haven't rung yet but if you could PM me their quote that will save me a phone call!

Thanks.

Oh one other very valuable use... when stopped and in the RTT the bags can be inflated to counteract any rocking of the truck and makes it much more stable whilst up high.

I can't imagine why being in the RTT would cause any "rocking" Lazz... :whistle:

I can't imagine why being in the RTT would cause any "rocking" Lazz... :whistle:

I find when the wind blows the RTT acts like a sail and if you are not used to the motion the rocking can be quite disconcerting, especially if the cape doctor is blowing ;)

Sorry Lazz. I was trying my hardest to avoid using the word BODGE. Ha ha

I really meant that I'd prefer to have a set up that was au natural and some people look to airbags to compensate for a poor set up. I know that's not what you have. But for me it's like taping a few £1 coins onto the rear wing of an F1 car to just balance it. It don't make no sense. But then I haven't been where you have been mate.

Olazz has a hard shell tent so the wind shouldn't be too much of an issue. Oh - wait. Oh I get it ... ;)

I'm back to EFS again now to be honest...whilst Ironman is great value, and I like the idea of foam cell shocks, they don't seem as "proven" as EFS. Having said that, I hear the Foam Cell Pro shocks re "top notch" but then they're more than OME or EFS shocks!

So, I'm thinking EFS Elite Comfort shocks, constant rate (rather than progressive) springs with a slightly increased load rating all round to raise the ride height slightly, and air helper springs in the rear. So will get in touch with Devon 4x4 (only people I know of in the UK who sell EFS) after my visit to JV a week today!

That's not that tall. I'm on 35s and this is a 4" kit (supposedly)

View attachment 17800

285s are only going to be 32's

That is a great looking truck Chris, I fancy copying that stance/look, but before I start with the suspension and wheels I have to get permission from the correct authorities to remove the rearmost seats....well it's a start right?

regards

Dave

What, you mean like the Government? :lol:

Shh, don't tell anyone but it's a GS which doesn't come with third row of seats. I filled in the appropriate forms etc tee hee, but there was nothing to remove. Get me credits to do other things. But like I said, Shh, OK?

Wait til you see my new LED front spots!

I have on the way a set of those cool looking front sidelights with the amber marker that the LX version of the 80 has, I will see if I can slip through the ITV next year with them fitted.......proper devil me you know :whistle:

And you can stop making me jealous with those other mods like LED lights!!!

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back