Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ironman vs. OME (Old Man Emu) suspension kits?

It's a 2 minute job to take the rear seats out (and 5 minutes if you want to take the rails out too!), so you could always go with the line "I can always put them back in again.." (and then never do)...

It's a 2 minute job to take the rear seats out (and 5 minutes if you want to take the rails out too!), so you could always go with the line "I can always put them back in again.." (and then never do)...

If only it was that easy! The vehicle has to be presented every year with all seats intact complete with belts. You can read about it here http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-lc-80-thread.365673/page-9

This is a thread I have been running on 'MUD' for a few years, look for post number 175 Mike.

regards

Dave

Agreed but I wanted to 'build in' my drawer system and so forth, plus it means having two seats lying around in the garage.

I am still sitting on the fence with this one, I could request a 'reforma' and so on but not sure what I want to do.

regards

Dave

Sorry Chris, was in a rush when I read through the thread and posted and got confused thinking you had said China.

Yes OME is made in Monroe's factory for ARB to OME spec.

I think either Fox or King. :think:

http://www.kingshocks.com/

But obviously their not cheap and maybe a bit unnecessary for an overlanding vehicle, although I do like that their fully rebuild-able. If I was building an 80 for overlanding I'd choose OME. :icon-biggrin:

i was recently talking with a friend who works for ARB and yep the OME Shock Absorber is still Manufactured at the Monroe Factory but on seperate line using special Tooling for the Nitrocharger Shock. Hopefully a set of new Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorbers will be residing under my BJ73 real soon:icon-cool::icon-cool:

When I originally bought my 80 it had a huge 6" lift which comprised of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and Red unknown springs. It handled very badly.

I removed the 3" spacers that were above each spring and fitted OME shocks. The ride was 'okay' but I was never really happy with it, it also didn't cope with the corrugations in Morocco as all.

I have now fitted EFS kit and have to say what a difference it has made to the ride, my truck also sits a little higher. I have yet to test it in any sort of anger but I have a feeling it is going to transform the ride when the going gets tough.

The OME shocks were very 'hard' on the rebound, when comparing them side by side with an EFS one, they take over twice as long to fully extend from fully compressed, this is evident when driving too. I believe the ESF ones has some sort of active damping that is constantly 'adapting' to any given road condition.... I am looking forward to September when we head off down to Morocco again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
have to say the finish on the ome shocks is crap. bare metal showing from new and probable the thinnest coat of paint ive ever seen. just come out of there first winter and rusting.

not good enough imo for a high end product that costs a lot of money.

When I originally bought my 80 it had a huge 6" lift which comprised of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and Red unknown springs. It handled very badly.

I removed the 3" spacers that were above each spring and fitted OME shocks. The ride was 'okay' but I was never really happy with it, it also didn't cope with the corrugations in Morocco as all.

I have now fitted EFS kit and have to say what a difference it has made to the ride, my truck also sits a little higher. I have yet to test it in any sort of anger but I have a feeling it is going to transform the ride when the going gets tough.

The OME shocks were very 'hard' on the rebound, when comparing them side by side with an EFS one, they take over twice as long to fully extend from fully compressed, this is evident when driving too. I believe the ESF ones has some sort of active damping that is constantly 'adapting' to any given road condition.... I am looking forward to September when we head off down to Morocco again.

That's great news to hear, as my EFS kit is well on its way to me now and I can't wait to get it on the vehicle and tested out!! :D

have to say the finish on the ome shocks is crap. bare metal showing from new and probable the thinnest coat of paint ive ever seen. just come out of there first winter and rusting.

not good enough imo for a high end product that costs a lot of money.

I can confirm that after 3000 kms of dirt there is no paint left on the front of my OMEs. Sure they took a bit of a pasting, but i expected more.

I payed 820 for mine, if nothing else they have a high end price tag...

The ones i could get from the local motor factors for a quarter of the price would have a better finish

Well I would say the EFS kit is a little more competitively priced than OME, but then you have freight and import duty to take into account. However I also believe the EFS kit is superior to OME in terms of quality (finish and performance), so is worth the extra!

Mine and Gary's kit should be here any day now, so we'll find out soon :)

Can you please post a landed price for the efs. What lifts did you end up going for?

Can you please post a landed price for the efs. What lifts did you end up going for?

I don't know yet, haven't had the bill for the duty yet! I went for a 2" lift all round, comprising 4x XTR shocks (an upgrade over the Elite Comfort shocks I originally intended to go for), linear rate front springs, progressive rate rears and polyair airbag helper springs in the rear to maintain ride height when loaded up with the rooftent and expedition gear. I would expect the car to rise by 2.5-3" when it's fitted as the current standard suspension is pretty tired and the springs are sagging a little all round.

Hey Guys
I have just recently fitted the OME and yes i can see what you mean about the thin coat of paint.:icon-mad
I got them for a very good price of my mate but time will tell how they handle the rough roads.

I hope the EFS kits serve you well. This BJ 73 is my daily driver but i will give you a bit of feed back when i take it offroad.

Woohoo, boxes of EFS suspension bits turned up today, courtesy of Chris @ FNB in Aus (Blown80 on here)! Shame I'm not at the delivery address myself, but at least they've arrived. Will be a couple of weeks before they make it onto the vehicle unfortunately, but having been out in the 80 all weekend and today I cannot wait to ditch the tired stock suspension and get the EFS stuff on there!!

photo.JPG

Yippee. Christmas :)

Pity my floor mats are still languishing in Coventry :(

Ahh shiny bits. Well if you are as pleased with yours as I am with mine then you be errm, as pleased as I am. I think. Lincomb and back this weekend was a nice ride. You see potholes coming and you think Brace brace brace and all you get is dub dub ad it goes over them. Didn't even rattle the beer in the fridge. It rides very well.

Ahh shiny bits. Well if you are as pleased with yours as I am with mine then you be errm, as pleased as I am. I think. Lincomb and back this weekend was a nice ride. You see potholes coming and you think Brace brace brace and all you get is dub dub ad it goes over them. Didn't even rattle the beer in the fridge. It rides very well.

^^^THIS^^^ This is what I'm looking forward to, none of this crashing about over minor road imperfections and speed bumps! Give me two weeks and it should be on :)

Back