Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ironman vs. OME (Old Man Emu) suspension kits?

I knew the OME stuff was made at Monroe, I was told that recently by and Aussie. It being the defacto choice Mike is really not quite the case. It was the default case. In other words we've not really had a choice in the past.

Its surprising what a salesman will tell you when hes trying to push a certain brand/product, which then gets posted on forums like this!

Working in the 4wd industry in Australia means I get to see and fit a lot of different products from many different manufactures.

We do fit a lot of ARB/OME products for a number of reasons, the main one being its good quality and its very rare we get a faulty product returned to us!

Having ARB world headquarters 5 mins away also helps!

My boss worked for ARB for many years and actually setup their entire Australian distribution network. Then when ARB acquired OME he was sent to Adelaide to work for OME for a while and he has told me about the thousands of hours of R&D that was/is done in order to get the valving just right!

I'm not saying OME make the best suspension in the world, they dont! But its definitely pretty high up there and for the price I believe it represents good value for money! :thumbup:

Sorry Ben, not quite with you and your posting of my response. It is made in the Monroe factory is it not? I never said it was made in China. Who does make the best suspension in the world out of interest? You have a much wider choice down there. We can't get that stuff here as you know.

Not sure what you are driving at.

To add my two pence worth, I bought a cruiser with a two inch Iron Man kit which is less than two years old (I have the receipt from the previous owner) and the two rear shocks are leaking. When I called up West Coast to asked for warranty replacements under their two year warranty, I was told they would only replace if it was the previous owner calling! When I asked if they had stock again the answer was no. So will be replacing IM kit shortly, but with what, is yet to be determined.:wtf:

Weird. So the warranty isn't transferable?

Still in 2 minds. I have OME springs waiting to go on and need to decide. Head and heart says EFS but there is a little voice that says OME because they're matched to the springs - I hope ...
Peeves me off to be ripped on price though just because 'they are on the shelf' ... Especially on the steering damper :(

To add my two pence worth, I bought a cruiser with a two inch Iron Man kit which is less than two years old (I have the receipt from the previous owner) and the two rear shocks are leaking. When I called up West Coast to asked for warranty replacements under their two year warranty, I was told they would only replace if it was the previous owner calling! When I asked if they had stock again the answer was no. So will be replacing IM kit shortly, but with what, is yet to be determined.:wtf:

Hmm, well that doesn't sound promising and is putting me off the Ironman kit I must admit! Do you know what sort of use your vehicle has had with that kit fitted?

Gary - what suspension is on your vehicle at the moment? Just been reading through JW's build thread but couldn't see it mentioned, but it looks higher than standard in the later pics (when he fitted the A/T tyres and hardtop rooftent..).

Thanks.

Still bog standard except for some air helpers in the back. Waiting to go on is a 50mm lift with +200kg in the back and +50kg in the front. OME springs. Thus the conundrum on shocks ...

Edit: and don't start me off on caster correction options ;)

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mike mines had a relatively light life, last two years from what I can tell -no big trips etc but they did survive my trip to Morocco without replacement

Manufacturer: OME
Lift: (e.g. 2"?) 2"
Standard or heavy duty: 850 51-110kg for the front and 863 +200kg on the rear with 60018 and 60020 sport shocks
On-road ride comfort: 5/10 empty, 8/10 when loaded
Off-road ride comfort: depends at what speed and what is the terrain...
On-road handling: 5/10 empty, 8/10 when loaded
Off-road handling: 8/10 (axle articulation, traction, etc.)
Load carrying capability: 9/10 when compared to standard
Durability/build quality: 7/10 finish coming off
Overall impression: 8/10
Value for money: what options do we have?/10
Would you buy again: Depends on my budget and what available on the UK market

I would just like to add, the finish on the Ironman suspension I had before was so much worse at resisting the salt than OME.

Maybe of some use regarding shockers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 373
I don't think that the IM shocker they are listing here is the one we are talking about. That sounds like the new one I saw this weekend. Completely different unit. Typically we are debating the standard white bodied foam cell ones. These listed here are the newer gunmetal grey units that are rebuild able. Those dimensions simply don't match the set I have here on the shelf. The EFS units dwarf them in every respect. The new grey ones though are very similar. Didn't get a price on them at the time. Didn't get chance to chat on the stand really, but you know the ones I mean Tommy. Let's compare like with like.

Sorry Ben, not quite with you and your posting of my response. It is made in the Monroe factory is it not? I never said it was made in China. Who does make the best suspension in the world out of interest? You have a much wider choice down there. We can't get that stuff here as you know.

Not sure what you are driving at.

Sorry Chris, was in a rush when I read through the thread and posted and got confused thinking you had said China.

Yes OME is made in Monroe's factory for ARB to OME spec.

I think either Fox or King. :think:

http://www.kingshocks.com/

But obviously their not cheap and maybe a bit unnecessary for an overlanding vehicle, although I do like that their fully rebuild-able. If I was building an 80 for overlanding I'd choose OME. :icon-biggrin:

Aaaah, now general consensus is swinging back from EFS to OEM! Totally confused (again) ;)

Re: Ironman kit, I will check which shocks I have been quoted on (Foam Cell or Foam Cell Pro), but if it's the latter then they would appear very good value based on the table above!

Anyone ever rebuilt a damper? Sounds cool, but in reality just how feasible is it at the side of the road for eg? I think the new IM ons come with a pin spanner to open them up, but do you need top up oil, seals etc?

Agreed Chris but IF you are doing a real remote RTW then it's an item to consider, just like a tyre repair kit or second spare etc. And probably easier to tuck away somewhere ...

On reflection is be interested to see what the tour operators use - they are out in the sticks all the time in a variety of locations and conditions and their livelihood depends on reliability of vehicle ... So what do they use??

Anyone ever rebuilt a damper? Sounds cool, but in reality just how feasible is it at the side of the road for eg?
It is rare that a blown shock will stop you travelling, however one has 2 options. Wait till you get into camp and can 'lay up' whilst you rebuild the shock, (its not that difficult with proper tools & repair kit} or wait till you get to any point of civilisation and find a suitable place to work on the shock.

On reflection is be interested to see what the tour operators use - they are out in the sticks all the time in a variety of locations and conditions and their livelihood depends on reliability of vehicle ... So what do they use??

John Reader (Expedition Leader from Trailmasters) uses a 6" Ironman lift kit on his 80-Series, and having been to Morocco with him the car handled very well fully loaded; it was his recommendation that got me considering Ironman in the first place. He says he has had no issues with the kit, and has done many expeditions with it fitted. The routes he takes across Morocco certainly include some challenging terrain for suspension to cope with (corrugations, dusty trails, some slower offroading).

Conversely, JV @ Overland Cruisers says both him and Paul (Expedition Leader @ One Life Adventures) say Ironman stuff is cheap and nasty, and recommend OME (which Devon 4x4 also use).

Are there any 80-Series owning expedition leaders on here?

Interested in your thinking on that Ben - OME don't seem to offer the best warranty nor are they field rebuildable which for true Overland / expedition work in remote areas would be fairly important - well, to me anyway.

While looking for info on the Iron Man stuff I came across this :)

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/42746-New-Ironman-foam-cell-shocks

I guess living down here its easy to become narrow minded and forget that overlanding in the rest of the world is a bit different. :think:

This country is so big and with so much 4wding on offer that I could win the lottery tomorrow and spend the rest of my life on the road traveling around and still not drive every track or fully explore every state forest or national park.

Suspension is obviously a consumable item just like tyres and brakes so it obviously will wear out at some point. But down here you can get OME suspension in virtually every town. Even most road houses in the remote areas sell it for common vehicles like Cruisers and Patrols.

Its also a very safe and peaceful country so should you break down and need new shocks etc. so long as you have supplies of water and food and means of communication your not in any huge danger, unlike a lot of other countries I can think of.

So for me if I was kitting out an 80 for overlanding (for travel in OZ, as TBH with virtually every type of terrain on offer here from snow covered mountains, to huge sandy deserts, to rain forests, to the worlds biggest sand island, I'm not in any rush to overland abroad.) then fitting OME and knowing that if a shock should let go, that I can quickly and easily purchase one, even in reasonably remote areas, for me seems like a no brainer.

When I needed new rear shocks half way across the Simpson Desert last year and had to shoot back to Birdsville they had a huge range of OME springs and shocks on offer and the prices were really quite reasonable. EFS is good suspension but it isnt as easily available as OME as a lot of places dont stock it. :icon-biggrin:

Now I know the Fox and King shocks are obviously rebuildable but I really dont know how easy that would be to do at the side of the road. :think:

Let's Overland are on here somewhere. They run an 80 and I think that has IM on as they sell it. But could be wrong in which case it's OME they have - we were discussing paint finish and theirs was still pretty good.

I'd always be wary of affiliations when receiving any advice....I won't say any more than that

Back