Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is anyone watching this closing ceremony?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
It's time like these that I am proud to be only 3/4 British. I thought the opening ceremony had some spectacular moments in it, but so far this is beyond words. I'm frankly embarrassed that this is being broadcast from our shores. Can I be South African please? Just for tonight. Is it along process? I already like sausage, being outdoors, and treating everyone else as being inferior. Come on am I in?

Pleeeeese.

Sweet Lord make it stop.

C

3 hours of pure class, those who don't get it.... well you simply just don't get it :doh:

I started watching it too Chris and I know just what you mean :cry: sorry Bat, but it had nothing to do with some of the best sport we have seen, bottom of the class :thumbdown:

I have once again been spared.

Gra.

The last 2 weeks have been about the best of sport.... this was about being the best of British.... which was mostly stunning.

You missed a great finally Gra.

As Eric sang.... always look on the bright side of life :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Paul,,,,,,,,,,, no bed to go to?

Morning here !

Watched a lot of it (the events) which were all very good.
I skipped the closing, but may just catch up some later.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The sport was stunning. But the closing? It was like Saturday Night Special. Dreadful. Best of British - are you serious? When you think of who they could have fielded . But those they did field - what did they play? Muse - what the hell was that? George Michael? Oh I shall be humming that second song for sure. Jessie J (Who?) singing with half of Queen - awful and who the the holy crap was that ginger kid murdering Floyd? Why not just have Floyd for real? Kaiser Chiefs doing a cover and Oasis, but not Oasis with just Liam trying to be Noooeeel. Pitiful. TT without Robbie?
Danny Boyle obviously handed today over to his understudy and nipped off to Pizza Hut or something. Best of British??? They start with Gridlock, congestion and chaos. Right. Well that's a great advert. Annie Lennox doing Pirates of the Caribbean? Eh?

No sorry. Simply awful from start to finish. Who were quite good, but too little too late.

Chris

I gave up pretty quickly. It was hard work watching (and listening) to that...

I also found it cringe-worthy, Chris. Not wanting to be too critical of my host country of the last 13 years but I do think they could have done much better. There were good parts like the Eric Idle bit and the stadium was fantasic with the light "show". But so much mediocrity - as you said, if the original acts couldn't play their songs, then why have them at all? I know one of the Beegees recently fell off the perch but if a Beegees song was such a "must have", then why not have them play it? George Michael couldn't even mime remotely in time with the music. That's the best Britain can do for the greatest event its going to host for a few generations?

I couldn't help comparing with the American Superbowl show (yes I know it's basically a domestic cup final and the Americans are cheesy and and and..) - but it is a very slick, spectacular show. And that's just for an American annual sports event - the Olympics is much bigger, more global and London only stages it every 50 years at best. I think it could have been a bit more memorable and spectacular. It should have been best of British, not just British :?

That all being said, I do think the country has done a wonderful job hosting the Olympics - the events all seemed to run without a hitch. I work near Bank station which was allegedly one of the worst affected by Olympics "traffic" and I had no issues using public transport during rush hour throughout the Olympics. Which is pretty unusual given that there are normally some issues or delays on public transport at the best of times :lol:

So well done GB :thumbup:

Bat21 said:
3 hours of pure class, those who don't get it.... well you simply just don't get it :doh:

Andrew Prince said:
I also found it cringe-worthy.... but if a Beegees song was such a "must have", then why not have them play it?....
Oh dear.... I rest my case
jump.gif

Two songs from George Michael?? That did it for me - best of British music from the last 50 years. Sorry - nope. Even I can think of piles of singers way better than those that were there.... Where were Queen with 'Champions of the World'???

But some was good - and I still think the whole 2 weeks was an operational marvel.

And yet again, Team GB excelled at all the sports involving being seated:

Cycling
Rowing
Sailing
Kayaking
Equestrian eventing

:lol:

Although they did fantastically well in other disciplines too!

But honestly, if the investment stays, the best thing to come out of it is getting the great British lethargy lifted and people off their butts doing something. The athletes were outstanding I thought - the song and dance pony show at the end could have been better. Slick, yes, but a bit strange in parts!

Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want :shock:

I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna,
I wanna really, really, really

wanna zigazig ah

ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fookin awful

I don't know the words btw . taken from lyrics007 web site

Bat21 said:
.... this was about being the best of British....
Gary Stockton said:
....best of British music from the last 50 years....
Two entirely different things being talked about here ;)

I agree Paul. Two different things. Fortunately, it doesn't matter which one they were aiming for. The result was the same. Fail.

In my view - of course. Neither was the best things in Britain over the last half century nor was it the best British music.

What is was, was the outakes from the opening ceremony :clap: :clap:

Chris

For those who feel the closing ceremony was like the proverbial Curate's Egg, bear in-mind that it was supposed to be a party for those who took part as competitors, organisers, helpers and the audience actually there. It's no wonder that those of you who were none of those things may have felt a little let down.

It's a bit like a music festival, the sound might be a bit dodgy but if you are there you probably don't mind the quality issues :thumbup:

My Sister was there. She loved it.

But then she's a poor judge. She was at the opening ceremony too. How did she manage that, you ask? I have no idea.

Chris

I think I was the only person who didn't enjoy the opening ceremony! Glad to see I'm not alone for the closing either!

The rest of the Olympics was superb! And GB did spectacularly well, 29 Gold to China's 38? Awesome! A real achievement

It is interesting to see that the majority of those who didn't 'get it' don't appear to be natives of Britain.... just an observation of course :thumbup:

Back