Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is this reasonably priced for a tow bar?

phil the brewer

Mornin' folks,

I just bought an adjustable tow bar, wiring kit and second hand tow ball for £97.50 and was wondering if this was reasonable. When I say tow bar its just the heavy square piece of metal that attachs to the cross bar at the rear.
I'm not very mechanically minded so please excuse a possibly confusing description.

Cheers

Phil

I would say it's about right. I got my tow bar (similar to yours, but not adjustable) from a breaker for £40 (I think) and a genuine Toyota wireing kit off ebay for about £30.

Fitted it myself which took a few hours on a Sat morning. (Nope sorry no pics)

One thing to be aware of, is that the bolts that go into the cross bar are a fine thread, so check before you take it all apart (if you do it yourself)

phil the brewer said:
Mornin' folks,

I just bought an adjustable tow bar, wiring kit and second hand tow ball for £97.50 and was wondering if this was reasonable. When I say tow bar its just the heavy square piece of metal that attachs to the cross bar at the rear.
I'm not very mechanically minded so please excuse a possibly confusing description.

Cheers

Phil
Do you mean this piece?
[attachment=1:31psjfle]land cruiser tow bar (1).jpg[/attachment:31psjfle]

This is the original standard tow bar, made for the 120 series Toyota by Brinks.

Gra.

Attachments

• land cruiser tow bar (1).jpg
    land cruiser tow bar (1).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 418
  • land cruiser tow bar (9).jpg
    land cruiser tow bar (9).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 376
I have always disliked tow hitches where they need to cut the bumper for them to fit. No need really as there are options that don't require this.

Somewhere I have pics of mine fitted, will take a look later on

Thanks TonyP and Graham,

I'll be having it fitted by the mechanic when he does a big service next week as I would just be wasting my time.

Graham,
Yep, its that chunk of metal except it is only an ordinary tow ball that I got. I wouldn't mind getting the ball you have that could be used as a recovery point as well.
The chunk was made by Bosal.

Tow chunk £90
W Kit. £ 7.50
Tow ball. Free.

Phil

Like this?

Gra.

Attachments

• 120 bar.jpg
    120 bar.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 315
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 2 inch receiver looks good option also.

[attachment=0:84484cf9]120 receiver H.jpg[/attachment:84484cf9]

Dang, thats going to be another heavy suitcase :cry:

Gra

Attachments

• 120 receiver H.jpg
    120 receiver H.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 419
TonyP said:
I have always disliked tow hitches where they need to cut the bumper for them to fit. No need really as there are options that don't require this.

Somewhere I have pics of mine fitted, will take a look later on
Hi Tony,
A long time ago when I asked why some tow hitches need the bumper cutting, the answer I was given, was that the hitch was a "more heavy duty".
As such, needed to be closer to the rear cross member, without excessive torque twist when "working".
The tow bars that don't need the bumper cutting, are generally, longer necked tow bars, and are not rated as high as the shorter tow bars.

gra.

Hmm, ok I guess I can understand that. Seeing as I never plan to tow anything that big or heavy not a issue for me.

The one I have is similar to the last one you posted, although it has a removable ball, it is a custom type (read can't be used for anything else).

On a separate note, if you do plan on brining any of those over with you, I think all new tow bars have to conform to some sort of standards with appoved marking else they will fail MOT.... (I may of course have that wrong)

TonyP said:
On a separate note, if you do plan on brining any of those over with you, I think all new tow bars have to conform to some sort of standards with appoved marking else they will fail MOT.... (I may of course have that wrong)
Think the MOT just checks they're not falling off but it's true that tow bars fitted to vehicles registered from 1998 have to be type approved ones and AFAIK there are no type approved receiver hitches available for Landcruisers.

Hi Graham,

The tow bar is very similar to the one in your first post but the tow ball is a short detachable one.
Any ideas where I would get the tow ball fitting you have?

Cheers
Phil

Joe,

Many thanks, exactly what I am after. I'll give them a buzz on Monday hopefully the carrage won't be to bad over to NI.

Cheers

Phil

Back