Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lake District

SpinDrift

Supporter
Garage
This bank holiday weekend we headed off to the Lake District for a bit of R&R. We were a little apprehensive about the holiday crowds but need not have worried as in most places we visited we hardly saw anyone.

We started by visiting Dudds Road. This turned out to be an easy gravel dead end track with nice country views. This is the dead end where it links with Garburn Pass, which is restricted.

DubbsRoad.jpg

We then headed for Stile End. Unlike Rudds Road, this started off as a green grass track

StileEnd1.jpg

before turning into a stoney track with a few challenging steps (downwards as we were heading W to E) and sharp bends

StileEnd2.jpg

as well as narrow gate

StileEnd3.jpg

Good fun!!

This brought us to the valley leading up to Gatesgarth pass.The scenery here was spectacular.

Heading up ...

Gatesgarth1.jpg

and up ...

Gatesgarth2.jpg

looking back ...

Gatesgarth3.jpg

we got the the locked gate and kept on going....

Gatesgarth4.jpg

Restrictions on the pass meant that we had to proceed on foot. We walked for a mile rising from an elevation of 300m to 592m at the top of the pass to see the views on the otherside. Buddy ell, I am still trying to get my breath back.

Since we were on foot we deviated off the main track on the walk back and explored some quarry works were we found some relics

Gatesgarth5.jpg

and a waterfall.

Gatesgarth6.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pics
looked like a good trip and dry too

waterfall looks amazing and a cave next to it?

what did you use to bolt down the waffleboards, I have used multiple bungee cords, but your system looks neater

Nice pics Reinhard - looks like a nice trip out :cool:

Cheers

It's worth the climb up to the pass on Gatesgarth for the view isn't it :thumbup: Looks like you had a good weekend :)

I always feel the same about holiday crowds, but maybe I should just get out and go too... Looks like a great weekend.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AndyCook said:
waterfall looks amazing and a cave next to it?

what did you use to bolt down the waffleboards, I have used multiple bungee cords, but your system looks neater

The cave is flooded but does not go in too far from what we could see.

The waffle boards and the jack are secured using metal plates and bolts from B&Q. I secure the whole lot with laptop type steel cables and a lock.

Jon Wildsmith said:
It's worth the climb up to the pass on Gatesgarth for the view isn't it :thumbup: Looks like you had a good weekend :)

definitely worth the climb. That pass must be one of the most spectacular. Very hard to beat. And having been on it can understand why it needs protecting. It was a great weekend.

After Gatesgarth our next challenge was the Old Coach Road, which is promoted as a cycle route so was a little busier.

OldCoachRoad1.jpg

For the most part the track travels through the hills and is fairly easy. Nice views where ever you look.

OldCoachRoad2.jpg

The track does have one tricky spot. But pick your line right and it is fine.

OldCoachRoad3.jpg

more pics to follow ...

On the right hand side just over the bridge is not a bad spot to rest up ;)

The tracks in Oxen Fell are interesting as they are quite narrow with some interesting steps and tight turns. No many pics here as it was getting dark.

OxenFell1.jpg

As well as quarries

Quarries1.jpg

we decended into the lost world to explore...

Quarries2.jpg

Quarries3.jpg

In our travels we came across the odd mushroom ...

Mushroom1.jpg

which inevitably ended up in the pan ...

Mushroom2.jpg

We then took on the Fox through the Furness Forest heading W to E as mandated. The lane is a mix of stoney track with interesting steps and forest track.

TheFox1.jpg

TheFox2.jpg

TheFox3.jpg

All good fun.

We then headed for the Hardknott and Wrynose Passes. Tarmac all the way but still fun with narrow twists and turns and inclines of up to 30%.

Again very nice views.

HardknottWrynosePasses1.jpg

HardknottWrynosePasses2.jpg

HardknottWrynosePasses3.jpg

There were two more lanes we would have liked to do. One is Parkamoor, which is a dead end track through an area of special scientific area and which as such carries a penalty of £20k if you drift off the track for any reason - which we would not do regardless. The other is Walna Scar which unfortunately is closed whilst its future is decided.

more good pics
I must get down there again (dales laning this weekend though)

were those Ceps or boletus you cooked up - its nearly chanterelle season again, great eating

Hi Andy,

I am afraid I don't know what the mushrooms are called. As those who were on our Pyrennes trip know, Ginta is the expert. She collected quite a big bag of them in the Lakes. Much to her irritation I ask her several times whether she is sure they are edible before I eat them.

Jon Wildsmith said:
On the right hand side just over the bridge is not a bad spot to rest up ;)
And then go back in the morning to rescue Gaz's truck from the mudhole??? :lol:

Camping there was one of the options but it was very windy and the location too exposed so we went elsewhere.

the tight gate next to the house (possibly 4th or 5th picture down)

very very grumpy old lady that lives in there, and you can get VERY VERY stuck in an 80 if you aren't careful- its almost easier to back round.

Ah she's alright Jim - I thought she was looking for trouble when we went through it last but she was fine when Jon schmaltzed her up ;)

surely she could not be worse that the axe man in the Pyrennes :)

In fact we saw her go by as we cleared the gate. We tried waving but she just walked past to her house, which was fine. I can understand her annoyance at any excessive disturbance or damage.

Back