Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I put the units into the truck last night. Looking good so far.

8901132832_7842f51bf8_c.jpg
8900522157_96864c1635_c.jpg

Plenty of storage! :)

I've also ordered a new mattress from these guys: http://www.efoam.co.uk/. Prices aren't bad and you can get normal, open cell, foam rather than memory foam. I've gone for a 3" mattress, so not sure it'll be thick enough to sleep comfortably, but will see how it goes. It's just a big rectangle mattress that my wife and I will cut and cover. My sisters are killer tie-die'ers, so we've made a deal that they'll tie-die our mattress covers and curtains in return for me putting a felt roof on their turkey shed. :)

Finishing up the bed this weekend amongst a few other bits and pieces.

I do have a question for everyone though. I've been trying to find another fold-down box that I can mount inside the back the truck, similar to the one on the right-hand-side back door (the one next to the fire extinguisher):
8900571169_d5f841a995_c.jpg

My thinking is that I want to be able to use a small gas stove inside the truck, if need be for boiling water, making simple meals (e.g. pot noodles), etc.. if the weather is bad. I don't want to have to always cook outside if the weather is bad. BUT, I don't want to just move the one that's on the door inside because I like the idea of still having it on the door and cooking outside if the weather is bad. So I'm looking to buy a new one that I can put inside the truck, above the fridge.

So, my question is: does anyone know what those boxes are called or what I should google? I've tried googling camping stove boxes, wall mounted stove boxes, fold-down stove boxes, motorhome stove boxes, etc.. but not had much luck. Any ideas?

I can see you like your noodles :lol:

"making simple meals (e.g. pot noodles)"

The box on the rear door looks like it may be a home made version of a http://www.mobilestoragesystems.net/ product. Have a poke around their website, but make sure your seated for the prices.

Thanks Scott. Yeah, I think the checker plate on mine has been added by someone, but the box itself looks professionally made.

Woah! You weren't joking about the prices! At £200 for what I'm after, think I might make my own. :D At least I know they're out there and maybe I'll find one for less. Thanks for the heads up!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've made more progress on getting the cab "sleepable" for Rianna and I. Bed is done and seems to work. We have yet to spend a night in the back, but hoping to get to Snowden in the next couple of weeks to try the rig out for the first time. I'll post more pics a little later. At the moment we're covering the mattresses to be tie-died by my sister.

I've had a bit of an issue in that ALL 12v lines coming from the batteries are only carrying 9v. I found the issue when I was going to wire up my Engel. Quickly stopped cause I don't know what damage I'd do to the Engel if I tried to run it on 9v. :wtf: I found that the cause is that the second battery in the engine bay is only carrying 9v, so is probably on it's way out. What is concerning me is that even when the engine is on, that battery still only carries 9v and never increases. What concerns me even more is that my alternator is only outputting 12v when the engine is running. I would have expected it to output 14v when charging, not so? Also, the line that comes from the the after market split charge system from the first battery to the second battery doesn't carry any current (even when the engine is running).

So, my thinking is that the "split charge" system that is fitted in the truck is intelligent enough to know that the alternator is not putting out enough to charge both batteries and is therefore "protecting" the first battery that starts the engine by blocking any charge going to the second battery? I'm not sure. I suspect that the second battery is knackered after not being charged for a while, but I need to make sure that the alternator is OK first before I replace it.

Does anyone know whether the HJ75 alternator should be outputting 14v?

Anyway, I've investigated getting a new alternator without much luck. I contacted http://www.startermotor-alternator.co.uk/ to see if they stock something that could work for me and got this response:

"Hi Nigel,

Thanks for sending the pictures, from what I can tell it is a 100213-0610 (12V 55A)

I only have bad news I’m afraid; this is not a unit I can currently supply (they’re extremely rare nowadays) , and aside from custom built windings, there is not a higher rated version of this unit either.

The best I can say is good luck, you’re bound to find a replacement at a scrap yard, but due to it having a vac pump and being externally regulated, it’s going to take a lot of work to get much more power out of it

Kind Regards,
Jack Warne"

Credit to Jack, he's been very helpful in giving advice, etc.. but it looks like he can't help.

So, I have a couple of questions for anyone that knows more about the standard charging systems in the HJ75 (not the aftermarket split charge system):
1. What is the vacuum pump for and can it be replaced by an electrical one?
2. Can the charging system be replaced by a more modern more robust?
3. If the vacuum pump is required, is there another alternator with vacuum pump available?

Nigel,
Have you tried disconnecting the second battery & split charge system completely when testing the alternator voltage? The split charge system is probably looking for around 12.5v before it clicks it's relay and puts the second battery in the charging circuit.

Nigel,
Have you tried disconnecting the second battery & split charge system completely when testing the alternator voltage? The split charge system is probably looking for around 12.5v before it clicks it's relay and puts the second battery in the charging circuit.

I haven't disconnected the split charging system from the batteries and connected the alternator directly to the engine battery to test, but I have checked the charge directly on the alternator and it is the same (11.5v to 12v) as what's coming out of the split charging system to the engine battery.

Is it possible that the split charging system could regulate what the alternator puts out?

My thinking was if the split charge system was engaged the knackered battery may be bringing the over all system voltage down. I don't really know if this scenario is possible though.

It could be just that the alternator regulator is shot as well.

Could be worth asking around if there is another alternator with electronic regulator built in would fit?

My thinking was if the split charge system was engaged the knackered battery may be bringing the over all system voltage down. I don't really know if this scenario is possible though.

It could be just that the alternator regulator is shot as well.

Could be worth asking around if there is another alternator with electronic regulator built in would fit?

Yeah, I thought that the knackered battery might be affecting it, but even if I disconnect that battery from the system, the charge doesn't change - it stays at 11.5v to 12v.

Doh .. sounds like it's the regulator then.

Done more work on the truck over the last couple of weeks. The bed is sorted and we're almost finished covering the mattress as well. Also found and fixed an issue with the charging.

Next thing to do after my last update on the truck was to make boards that go across the gap to complete the bed. I decided to do this in two pieces so it's easier to handle.
9053435236_67d74f0b7b_c.jpg

Cut out around the fridge.
9053440084_0116cb98d7_c.jpg
9051211585_80d8f157e2_c.jpg
9053442502_031c4366f8_c.jpg

I'm using 12mm board for the tops of the bed, so it's pretty sturdy, but I still want some cross beams to add structure. These will also serve to stop the boards from sliding and then falling into the gap as they'll fit up against the top of the storage units and stop all lateral movement.
9059710375_4ccdc32212_c.jpg
9059711723_9793aa7c6a_c.jpg
9053445478_ffa51e8425_c.jpg
9059709317_7866fb6133_c.jpg

Next was to put an upright that can fold away, which will support the corner next to the fridge.
9061940746_b860c02e0a_c.jpg
9059714549_f466a6d766_c.jpg
9059717821_f9f0d32986_c.jpg
9059722827_88353c0d26_c.jpg
9061952260_c8dd576909_c.jpg

My youngest sister was around and gave me a hand painting while I carried on with other bits.
9061943854_1ce11b1526_c.jpg

While all this was happening, the cat sat on the dash to monitor it was being done properly.
9051214795_1b5a98b800_c.jpg

A few days later all the paint was dry and the bed fitted nicely. Simple, easy and strong. Will be interesting to see if the 12mm lip will get in the way and be uncomfortable, but we shall see. :think:
9051227533_61381b7450_c.jpg

Next was to cut and cover the new mattress. I ordered a standard double mattress from http://www.efoam.co.uk/. One that was pretty hard and 10cm thick. In hind sight, I should have ordered the mattress already cut as efoam cut to order, but anyway...
Ordered 6m of white curtain and upholstery fabric from eBay. My sisters are going to tie-die the covers once they're done.
9053446532_a6a8d7d421_c.jpg

My grandmother is keen on textiles, so offered to give us a hand. Rianna did A level textiles, so she was chief operating officer, advised by Grandma and I was skivvy/gofer in between watching the Lions games was going on the iPad in the background. :dance:
Started with cutting the mattress.
9053447522_9a283e087a_c.jpg
9051220509_b6a3467921_c.jpg9053452136_1a7d4bc021_c.jpg
9053453256_2a0a4a2204_c.jpg

Cut them pretty tight, so there's no gap and they fit snug. There's also 2 shorter ones in front of the fridge, so they can all be put up to pad the "benches" so we can sit comfortably.
9053459160_7334b7d59c_c.jpg

Once the mattress was cut, we (mainly Rianna) set about on the covers.
9051224629_b420718806_c.jpg
9053456068_18593c6dcd_c.jpg
9053460350_551520f015_c.jpg
9053463636_83d0ab8fc3_c.jpg

We were doing it at my parents place as they have more space than Rianna and I do at our place. Between Rianna, my Mom, my sisters and Grandma there is always good food, good coffee and often home-baked goodies using eggs from the 80-odd various poultry that my sisters keep, so we interrupted mattress covering with a cup of proper, peculated coffee and home-baked pear sponge cake with vanilla cream. :violin:
9051235249_0b1f9f3a8f_c.jpg

Then got back to covering.
9053466156_74d2e10091_c.jpg

In addition to making new mattress covers, we used some of the material to make new curtains, which will be tie-died the same colour.
9051238213_e1aa3925aa_c.jpg

The mattresses are now covered and ready to be tie-died. The die has been ordered and we're going for a three colour combo of dark blue, turquoise and then another colour which I can't remember. There was no pink mentioned, so I was happy. :) My sisters are very good, so I have no doubt they'll come out well. :think: Just hope that the die arrives in time to die the covers and curtains before this weekend as we're all going to Wales to stay near Snowden for the weekend.
9053484382_f79c550f33_c.jpg
9051256077_230e366a56_c.jpg

Next thing I did this weekend was playing with the electrics more to try and figure stuff out and see if I could figure out what was going wrong. My dad gave me a hand as he's pretty clued up on a lot of things and vehicle electrics is one of those things. :) I am embarrassed to announce that I figured out why the leisure battery was not charging and it was down to a simple fuse blown, which I had overlooked before. When I looked last weekend I thought I had eliminated all possibility that it was a fuse or something like that, but clearly missed one. It wasn't a conventional fuse, but a home-made, Heath Robinson approach I've never seen before. I knocked up one quickly. (FYI, this is an approach that has been used in 3 different places in the split charge system on this truck. I've not seen it before. I'm guessing they just put these "small" cables in places on the 12v lines knowing that if they're overloaded they'll burn out?)
9051239613_75d1281956_c.jpg
9051240677_4a6d790aff_c.jpg
9051242671_183c6fde6d_c.jpg

What I find REALLY strange though is that after connecting up a 20amp mains charger to the engine battery after I fixed the fuse, the alternator started charging at full 14v. I can only put it down to 1) the charger gave it a kick up the butt or 2) the blown fuse in the split charge system affected the alternator/regulator. Either way, it seems to be functioning now as expected, which is a relief.

My dad found the Sterling Power 20amp mains charger that I mentioned before knocking around his garage, not being used. He actually fitted 2 of them in parallel in his motorhome to charge his bank of four 120ah deep cycle batteries until upgrading chargers a while back, so offered for me to fit on in the truck. I like the idea of carrying a good mains charger anyway and thought it would be good to wire it in properly so that if we ever find ourselves stopped somewhere (e.g. a campsite) that has hookups, we can make use of them conveniently. It also means I can bridge the leisure and engine battery easily and come to full charge in a couple of hours if need be. So we set about fitting it.
Decided I'd put it on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat, above the inverter.
9053473078_ef795bd141_c.jpg
9053474210_7d244410bb_c.jpg

Drilled through (simple alum sheeting) and mounted with 5mm stainless bolts.
9053475534_281b2c5baf_c.jpg
9051247007_9f924b0ac0_c.jpg

Conveniently, there was a pretty hefty 12v cable running straight from the leisure battery in the engine bay to the inverter, so no need to put in a new one. I made the decision just to hook up the charger to the leisure battery as when I'm parked up, theoretically (if the truck has been wired correctly by previous owner, before Jonnie got it) the engine battery should just sit there and maintain it's charge (unless parked for excessive time). Put the eyelets onto the cables and hooked it up.
9053477168_4233db0ccf_c.jpg
9051248739_a1cc858102_c.jpg
9051249593_38f8e19549_c.jpg

All fitted and ready to test.
9053479666_e14f31b9bd_c.jpg

Plugged the charger into mains and checked the leisure battery with the engine off.
9053483422_3e4f4d5f3c_c.jpg
9053482498_4f26848452_c.jpg

Put my tools back behind the seat and moved the seat back.
9053480540_08bed7e039_c.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the die and we can tie-die the mattress covers before the weekend, but otherwise the sleeping arrangements are coming along nicely. Will keep you posted.

I think that crimped small wire 'fuse' is something a previous owner has done when they didn't have a proper fuse or didn't like the price of them but whatever the reason you really need to replace them with the correct fuses from somewhere like Vehicle Wiring Products.

I think that crimped small wire 'fuse' is something a previous owner has done when they didn't have a proper fuse or didn't like the price of them but whatever the reason you really need to replace them with the correct fuses from somewhere like Vehicle Wiring Products.

You're probably right Jon. I'm not particularly happy about the Heath Robinson approach as an enduring solution. As there are no fuses to compare with, any idea what sort of amperage I should put in there?

Did I see this wandering through Newbury about a week ago? :think:

The fuse size needs to be less than or the same as the cable rating which will be hard to be sure of. Smaller is better, it may inconvenience you by blowing but it won't set your truck on fire :shifty: If you look at http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/fuses/fuses.php and scroll down the page it gives some dimensions for the different types of fuses. http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/batterycable.php might give you some idea what rating your cable is but keep in mind insulation thickness and quality of conductor varies so treat it as a very general guide and if you underestimate your cable you should be safe. If you underestimate and don't blow fuses you're sorted.

There's what looks like a fuse holder below the Durite branded grey Anderson connector with a copper strip joining the ends? Check that's a fuse and not just a random bit of metal as well?

Yep, woulda been me mate. :dance: Live in Newbury.

You poor bugger :lol:

Coming back from Zambezifest at a guess? My friend had just got home and I was dropping a new bed off to her...she looked *very* hungover!

Back