Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Laning in God's Own Country (photos)

diggerdave

We were back 'home' in Yorkshire at the weekend for a day exploring the green roads around the River Esk in the northeast part of the North York Moors, in the Grosmont, Glaizedale, Egton area. Blessed with Indian summer conditions, we spent the day fording the River Esk and its tributaries and watching steam trains go by, as well as mixing in one or two moorland lanes. The last lane of the day (it's always the last lane of the day) almost caused a mishap when the deep, muddy ruts turned out to be very deep and very muddy, and wholly unsuitable for doing in winter with the light fading :icon-redface:. After a bit of chin-scratching, we were able to extricate ourselves in a non-damaging, not-too-embarressing way with the help of some waffle boards, mattock and shovel to dig a small ramp out of the humungous ruts, and some grunt from the Toyota...

Thanks to Gary820 for recommending the Wheatsheaf at Egton for a lunchstop (great welcome and great food, which is worth the prices) :thumbup:. We stayed at the Feversham Arms in Church Houses the night before which is cheap, has very hearty food and is especially friendly to 4x4 parties

1.jpg DSCF9275.jpg DSCF9300.jpg DSCF9306.jpg DSCF9330.jpg DSCF9337.jpg
WP_20161211_15_40_19_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds just great, making me feel hungry talking about pub grub in Yorkshire, they don't mess about when it comes to food!

It's always good to come across conditions that stretch your mind a bit but as you say, it always seems to come at the wrong time, never when you're fresh and full of energy :?.

Still you made it and that's what counts. The opening line at the next campfire will be "... remember those monster ruts that snagged us at ..."

Like it :lol: :thumbup:

they don't mess about when it comes to food!

Clive, on Saturday night at the Feversham I had their home-made game pie which took up half my plate and was stuffed full of pheasant and other game-birds, along with more chips and veg than we could collectively manage. I wouldn't say the Feversham was suitable for vegetarians or anyone squeamish about game shooting as the landlord is a gamekeeper and much of the food is what's left over from shoots

Breakfast was a full english with two of everything including eggs and black pudding

Lunch at the Wheatsheaf saw us too full for Sunday dinner but they made us up some roast beef sandwiches, roast poatatoes and roast parsnips followed by - get this - sticky toffee xmas pudding with brandy and chocolate ice-cream :scared-eek:

I haven't eaten since and I am amazed that the Toyota's springs haven't given up...

Glad you enjoyed the pub mate, always friendly and good food. some good lanes that way, think I know which Lane that rutted one is, looks like it's got worse. Great views too.

Great photos Dave.

Food and lanes...very envious indeed!

Great photos Dave.

Food and lanes...very envious indeed!

This was our xmas laning meet with our mates that's become a yearly tradition, so food (and drink) was always going to take equal billing to driving.

If I'm honest though, every monthly laning trip is becoming more and more of a food (and beer... and whiskey) trip as well these days. You should see us when we're laning in the Yorkshire Dales and we hit the Wensleydale cheesemaking place in Hawes. Highly recommended (though it helps if you like cheese)
:happy-sunny:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back