Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Last night - Epic rescue...

I really should start screening my calls on a sunday evening :lol:

Having been there myself as i'm sure a lot of us on this site have, when you're in this sort of situation and it's dark, wet and muddy and you're miles from home and things seem a bit desperate, all you want is for someone to say "sit tight, help is on the way". The last thing you need is to have to barter and plead and listen to people suck air through their teeth ".....well, i've still got to load the dishwasher yet" etc! IMO if you can possibly help, then you pull out all the stops to do so, not only because you may well find yourself the next one to be stranded!

A good suggestion with the SOS section ... Crispin.....

The pictures don't actually do justice to how much of a sneaky obstacle that was. Yes there was clear evidence that at least one other vehicle had been stuck in there very recently and i'd put money down that had we all driven the same lane completely un-alerted, many of us, myself included would have ended up in the same situation as Crispin. The track narrows at that point and if you let your wheels to close to the edge then you are very quickly at the point of no return and even ATRAC wont save you ;)

Having said that, three locking diffs, mud tyres even a tracked vehicle... once your in THAT hole, you aren't driving out of it! and on that note, thanks be to allah that it was not an 80 or a 100 in that hole because i'm not sure we'd have got that out, we were shearing bolts snapping plasma rope and stressing kit to the nth degree moving a 'relatively' light 120.

Still, all's well that ends well.

Some long HD rachet straps are best but with an ordinary strap just wrap it around the tree and back onto itself with a shackle and as the recovery progresses keep stopping and adjusting it.

A spanish windlass wound up tight enough to pull your 120 up that bank or conversely be the sole restraint stopping it from sliding down that bank in the event of rope failure has enough force in it to be dangerous yes. I'm not critisising BTW, really I'm not, just adding my thoughts because I'd hate the next thread like this to include someone had their skull crushed by a run away spade and I didn't comment :(

Jon Wildsmith said:
I'm not critisising BTW, really I'm not, just adding my thoughts because I'd hate the next thread like this to include someone had their skull crushed by a run away spade and I didn't comment :(

Didn't think you were :)

In everything we had there, everything was loaded and pretty dangerous. Arguably, some things where more dangerous than others but when you have a vehicle hanging by one of more recovery straps, everyone in the area needs to be awake. Anytime you have things under tension you should be awake. A swinging spade would take your head off without much noise. A snapped strap and flying shackle would hurt.

With just seeing the picture Gary posted in the other thread I thought oops that's going to take some recovering. Very impressed they got you out in one piece :thumbup: My comments are 100% with the benefit of hind sight and sitting in a comfy chair in a warm and dry house :mrgreen:

Hind-sight is a lovely thing.

I was thinking yesterday morning that the easiest thing Tony and myself could have done was to put a long strap front and rear on my chassis as soon as the problem started. The, using a snatch block perpendicular to the truck, pulled on the strap (forming a V if I am making sense) and within a few minutes we would have been ok.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:lol: little varmints, but they do give you the approval from Mrs Trev for a bumper and winch so it doesn't happen again. Proved to be a nice little icebreaker :oops:

Yes well done to all involved and Crispin im glad it came out with minor damage. :thumbup:

Joe

Thanks for sharing Cris :thumbup:

Are you sure there wasn't a huge magnet in that stream :o

Isn't it great when a community such as this one pulls together (no pun intended :D) when you're in deep schit (again no pun :D).... it must be even more humbling knowing it is your good self who helped create this wonderful community :clap: :clap:

Awesome rescue, Awesome guys. Nuff said. :clap: :clap: :clap: :cool:

Nice picture.

However the reason for me posting you is that I have been looking for a way
to get an Avatar uploaded, but I do not see any advice on format, size and how
to do it. Please let me know.

2003 KDJ120

Wow, great recovery. It's always those 'little' obstacles which should never be underestimated :sweatsmile:

Back