Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lc5 advice

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
In about 2 hrs time im going to view a LC5 2004. One owner from new, immaculate inside and out, NO tow bar fitted.. so it hasn't towed its guts out. full service history. BUT its done 190,000!! .. What do I look for in the service book,? high mileage doesn't bother me..Do I look for injector change etc etc. Any advice would be great Cheers:)

Hopefully other people who've had theirs longer will chip in, but all the usual suspects like rear end corrosion, play in the drivetrain, bushes etc. etc. At that mileage, I would think that the injector seats have been done, but worth a good read through the service history to see if injectors have been changed. Check that the height control works ok. The suspension and satnav/clmate control etc. unit are expensive to fix and the head unit is not easily replaced as in the LC4 etc. Good luck !

Hopefully other people who've had theirs longer will chip in, but all the usual suspects like rear end corrosion, play in the drivetrain, bushes etc. etc. At that mileage, I would think that the injector seats have been done, but worth a good read through the service history to see if injectors have been changed. Check that the height control works ok. The suspension and satnav/clmate control etc. unit are expensive to fix and the head unit is not easily replaced as in the LC4 etc. Good luck !
That's what I was thinking regarding injector seats, It doesn't mention active ride, I assumed it would be springs all round.. I hope its not active ride. Thanks any ways Flint.. PS it has ESP. I take it that means it has active ride:disappointed:

I just bought an LC5 with 300k km, so about the same as you.
The air suspension is not that expensive, an airbag is 200 euro Toyota OEM. From what I understand the expected life for them is minimum 8-9 years.

The compressor can be expensive, but it breaks only if you drive for a long time with leaky airbags.

It would have to be a really good truck (immaculate) for me to look at an LC5 with 190k. I'd be holding onto my cash for an LC4 or early Invincible with fewer miles (if your time and budget allows). That way you avoid the airbags and the limitations of the audio/climate control system.

Do you have a link to the one you are viewing?

It would have to be a really good truck (immaculate) for me to look at an LC5 with 190k. I'd be holding onto my cash for an LC4 or early Invincible with fewer miles (if your time and budget allows). That way you avoid the airbags and the limitations of the audio/climate control system.

Do you have a link to the one you are viewing?
Thanks for all the advice..Everything seems fine. full service history. 2 cam belt changes, one last year.including front discs and pads,new engine sump. still got barcode sticker on it. each service stamp had all the work done written on it.( that's a first) active ride suspension all works fine.. Audio/ sat nav/ cd stereo all fine. No rust underneath at all . lovely comfy ride. only time will tell... And he gave me a good part ex on my old Colorado so that saved me pissin about with ebay... Weather its a 80/100 LC3/4/5.. they all have their faults. like I said time will tell... One owner elderly couple lived in London, couldn't justify the constant charges.. SO im told:icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for all the advice..Everything seems fine. full service history. 2 cam belt changes, one last year.including front discs and pads,new engine sump. still got barcode sticker on it. each service stamp had all the work done written on it.( that's a first) active ride suspension all works fine.. Audio/ sat nav/ cd stereo all fine. No rust underneath at all . lovely comfy ride. only time will tell... And he gave me a good part ex on my old Colorado so that saved me pissin about with ebay... Weather its a 80/100 LC3/4/5.. they all have their faults. like I said time will tell... One owner elderly couple lived in London, couldn't justify the constant charges.. SO im told:icon-rolleyes:
Hi Higgy
the Lc5 is a great bit of kit if you are worried about the airbags at the rear you could always spray some rubber protector on them push up the rubber covers and spay the air bags I have , its very very rare the audio screen monitor goes wrong , I have seen them on ebay second hand and you could get one in a scrap yard am sure , I use the ac in the back on cold about once a week for five mins so the o rings in the pipes dont dry up shrink and lose gas , the ac works in the boot also great for dogs in the hot weather, in Cyprus I use the front all the time , I keep the tems shocks on sport all the time as motorway driving and bendy roads at speed is much better drive , plus I use bf/g ko2 tires , the stiff side walls on ko2s help also, I have them at 40 psi , rough trax sell a full conversion kit for the tems and air bags with the coils already fitted on shocks for the front the full kit front and rear is £714 I have one stored away to covert to normal shocks and springs if and when it goes wrong its a kit from Australia from a company called pedders its an uprated kit all the instructions and parts are included , and looks straightforward to fit including lights on dashboard for height control , I hope my tems and air springs last many years to come as I think its a great system , ESP is the stability control . it also has active traction control .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tony. like i said earlier time will tell. and im sure something will go wrong. Its a car, they all do. Iv been looking for so long for a new truck. this one was close to home and decent money.. my old Colorado was just waiting to give up on me. Il be sad to see the old girl go. me and the missus have been round Europe many times in it, and its been a great work horse.. The LC5 has never been off road and never towed just a town car in London. The electric seats/sun roof/heated seats / everything worked nice and smooth.. Its going to be a work horse. It wont get pampered (kiss of death) so we will see. thanks for the positive vibe:)

Thanks Tony. like i said earlier time will tell. and im sure something will go wrong. Its a car, they all do. Iv been looking for so long for a new truck. this one was close to home and decent money.. my old Colorado was just waiting to give up on me. Il be sad to see the old girl go. me and the missus have been round Europe many times in it, and its been a great work horse.. The LC5 has never been off road and never towed just a town car in London. The electric seats/sun roof/heated seats / everything worked nice and smooth.. Its going to be a work horse. It wont get pampered (kiss of death) so we will see. thanks for the positive vibe:)
I pamper mine no tow bar and never been off road , I was painting the under belly with anti rust paint from Lidl to protect it in the future , I took the rubber grommets out so as to paint it all fully that are on the front half and found the under belly is double skinned just like the roof is which is reassuring to know ,

I pamper mine no tow bar and never been off road , I was painting the under belly with anti rust paint from Lidl I took the rubber grommets out so as to paint it all fully that are on the front half and found the under belly is double skinned just like the roof is which is reassuring to know ,
I was surprised how well its protected underneath, I always thought the LC3/4/5/ was a bit of a Chelsea tractor and more driven to luxury.. I was wrong, I had a good tug at the props and ujs. no play anywhere. Im going to get it on the ramp and powerwash, and give the chassis some paint. that's as far as my pampering will go.

I was surprised how well its protected underneath, I always thought the LC3/4/5/ was a bit of a Chelsea tractor and more driven to luxury.. I was wrong, I had a good tug at the props and ujs. no play anywhere. Im going to get it on the ramp and powerwash, and give the chassis some paint. that's as far as my pampering will go.
I done the belly 3 weeks ago got paint all over head and hair and in a week or so I am going to paint the chassis with black anti rust paint from lidl its a good strong chassis on the 120 just a bit of a wire brushing is all it needs to prepare it for painting , I got one can of silver for the belly and one black for the chassis 12 euros for both good german paint, so cheap do, paint brush for the belly is shot though will use new one for the black .

Nice one Higgy ! :thumbup:
Cheers Flint... Do you have any more links for Tow bars for the 120.. Don't know if Jonnyboy got sorted.. they seem to be hard to get hold of.. or if anyone else has a link? ... TA!

Just one other thing, I couldn't for the life of me find anywhere to plug in i pod/ mp3 and things. surely there is a port somewhere?... I left the truck at the dealers so cant investigate tonight. Anyone know..

I have 2009 one and you can't plug shit. I do have a CD magazine on it, it is in the glovebox, if you do to and don't plan on using it, you might be able to disconnect it and use that in for an iPod or another audio device.
If you have the bose audio system, it sounds really good for the age, and myself I listen to CD-s anyway ( I am a bit of an audiophile ) so for me the CD magazine works great.

Thanks for the info.. Il try and track down a towbar (thanks Flint).. And I'm amazed there is no where to plug 'ya' toons into.. yes I have the factory CD mag in the glove box and all the touch screen bollox.. NOT even a simple jack socket for an ipod.. Im sure ipods and mp3 things were invented before 2005.. Shame on you Toyota...:angry-nono:

You should still pamper a workhorse higgy. Feed a donky well and look after him, he will be much more willing to give years of faithfull service...

Back