Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED high beams

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
The LED low beams on the 150 are brilliant. Very bright, very white and do well at lighting everything up.

The brights also throw very far but are rather orange in comparison. I thought, for the sake of £20 and some change, I thought I'd try these.

IMG_20161224_093432.jpg

IMG_20161224_093442.jpg

IMG_20161224_093452.jpg

There were two options - with and without fan. I opted for the fanless version. Bought last week, they arrived today. :)

They don't fit :(

There is not enough space behind the cluster to fit it in. Anything with a large heatsink won't make it into the lamp cluster. Bummed.

I did connect them up, they're very bright.
Hard to judge without being in the cluster.

Anyway, search continues to find proper headlights :)

IMG_20161224_093501.jpg

WTF? He must be selling them...

Bad news anyway Cris, were they sold as fitments for your vehicle? If yes you should get a full rebung, no?

Thats a shame, would have been interested in hearing a review. A lot of the LED lights I've seen like that are twice as expensive.

I'll spend a bit of time trying to get them in. Who knows.

As for the cost, you can pay a lot more. I'll be interested in seeing the difference between the double priced ones. I found some Philips one which were not much more. Maybe they were "philips" rather than Philips

That's a shame Cris. is it just lack of space to get them into the light fitting? can you take the light fitting off the car and then fit the lamp and reinstall? or still not enough room.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is a bit. I went down to Cornwall last week and the high beams really are yellow compared to the low beams.

I think they might fit if I could just get them in. The problem is that the opening for the bulb is behind the gusset where the fender meets the grill. A normal bulb (HB3) has nothing "behind" it so can make the angle to get in. The LEDs have a large heatsink behind so pretty much need to go straight in.

I looked at removing the lamp assembly but got bored when I traced the mounts down behind the bumper.

I'm going to measure up the longest longthing I can use fit in (urm....) and see if I can find a bulb to suit.

It is a bit. I went down to Cornwall last week and the high beams really are yellow compared to the low beams.

I think they might fit if I could just get them in. The problem is that the opening for the bulb is behind the gusset where the fender meets the grill. A normal bulb (HB3) has nothing "behind" it so can make the angle to get in. The LEDs have a large heatsink behind so pretty much need to go straight in.

I looked at removing the lamp assembly but got bored when I traced the mounts down behind the bumper.

I'm going to measure up the longest longthing I can use fit in (urm....) and see if I can find a bulb to suit.
I have upgraded my bulbs to the 120% brighter ones, got a light bar, and got it wired to my main beam, and problem solved. All in all, costs were around £150.00.

Just a thought Cris, after looking again at the photos you posted, am I imagining it or are those heat sinks removable?

There looks to be a grub screw clamping them in place. If you could remove them, get the bulb part located properly, there may be room to jiggle the heat sink in afterwards and tighten the grub screw with a long slim screwdriver.

Would this style fit in Crispin?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...nversion-Kit-12V-24V/1085609_32489822442.html

The heatsink at the rear is quite flexible .. but still a little bulky

Those might just Grant. I'm going to try and see what I can fit in there this weekend. Can measure that up and see if it'll fit.
Worst case I have new LED Christmas lights. :lol:

Clive - I tried that but the heatsink contains the circuitry. So removing it would require unsoldering the wires :( Too much faff.

I got the headlamp desctructions and replacement procedure from Mr-T and it's a bumper-off thing :( Way to much hassle. I'll just get some of the brighter halogens instead.

Back